SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

THE_MASK 05-02-15 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2311052)
Shaefer's deck gun adventure, really must see! :haha::up:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-iD6ZLO0H8

A few observations .
Don't forget to share some comments on YT and like the videos.

I use the no ship bow spray mod , makes it a lot harder to get tonnage at night when you cannot see the ships on a dark night .
To make the deck crew man the gun after the submerged icon disappears from the top right of the screen , just click on the crew on deck icon .
I did find a fix once for the deck crew leaving the gun but the alternative is sinking every ship with the deck gun .
http://i57.tinypic.com/2rm9its.jpg

THEBERBSTER 05-02-15 07:22 AM

Hi Guys

You can get all of Shaefer's video's from my tutorial post's in one place.

See TWOS in action.

Post #24 Shaefer’s Season 2 Let's Play Silent Hunter 5 YouTube Videos

If you missed season 1 then here all the video's.

Post #14 Shaefer's Season 1 Let`s Play Silent Hunter 5 (16 YouTube vidoes)

Enjoy Peter

kevinsue 05-02-15 05:20 PM

Reducing 72 hour patrol time

Is there any way that the area patrol time can be reduced from 72 hours to 48 hours? Not being able to save during the patrol duration seems to induce a problem with the SH5 Advanced UI becoming corrupted after about 48 "in game" hours on my system under certain conditions.

All the UI information fields get blanked out with white squares and the only way to tell what they read is by placing the mouse cursor over it and reading the tool tips and also the game generally becomes unstable. :down:

This has happened a couple of times now and I think it seems more prone to happen when the seas are high with wind speed up towards 15 M/S for the 72 hours of the patrol duration.

kevinsue 05-02-15 05:34 PM

Quote:

Shaefer's deck gun adventure, really must see! :haha::up:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-iD6ZLO0H8

I feel Shaefer's pain!! :haha:

The ultimate SH5 mod........One that allows you to throw the deck/flack gunners into the ocean and watch them tread water while you sail into the distance!!!:D

mobucks 05-03-15 07:34 AM

I use SH3UI and don't have any UI problems like that kevinsue.

This mod is working GREAT for me. It actually seemed to get more stable as my patrol went on. A solid 6 hours running the game with no crashes. (up the southeast coast of England, back to Heligoland to refit, and back to England again to dump my load on a convoy)

IMO saving often is not that great of an idea. You want to minimize saving/loading as much as possible on patrol. This mod is loading everything inside 60km and drawing everything inside 20km. If you save while inside your patrol grid, there is a much higher chance that you are not making a "clean" save. The best is to follow the tips for stable gameplay on the supermod description.

I make a save in/out of patrol area ~100km "open sea" all stop 0kn, run TC512 and watch the minute hand. If the minute hand isnt moving smooth at this TC there is probably traffic <60km away.

Same thing for entering/exiting port or refit.

I wouldn't ever load a save not made under those conditions.

Watch the chronometer movement during TC! If it starts getting too choppy, you're flirting with a CTD. That patrol I mentioned finally did CTD going back to Willhemshaven at TC128.

vdr1981 05-03-15 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinsue (Post 2311179)
All the UI information fields get blanked out with white squares and the only way to tell what they read is by placing the mouse cursor over it and reading the tool tips and also the game generally becomes unstable. :down:

I experienced something similar but extremely rarely and if I remember correctly I used SH5 interface back then...:hmmm: Maybe you should try SH3 interface and if the same problem repeats it must be something GPU driver related...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobucks (Post 2311271)
This mod is working GREAT for me. It actually seemed to get more stable as my patrol went on. A solid 6 hours running the game with no crashes. (up the southeast coast of England, back to Heligoland to refit, and back to England again to dump my load on a convoy)

That's very good to hear! :up:

Quote:

IMO saving often is not that great of an idea. You want to minimize saving/loading as much as possible on patrol. This mod is loading everything inside 60km and drawing everything inside 20km. If you save while inside your patrol grid, there is a much higher chance that you are not making a "clean" save. The best is to follow the tips for stable gameplay on the supermod description.

The whole point behind "smarthsaving" and occasional game restarts is to "unburden" game engine between actions and when I say action I mean large number of units, particles and other stuff shown in your rendering area. There is one really old engine bug (or maybe even engine limitation) where game tends to CTD if you accumulate too many objects in your rendering area and what is the worst, this does not need to happen at same time.
For example , you're engaging convoy somewhere in the Atlantic, creating skirmish and your game engine "accumulates" objects A, B and C , but later when in your rendering area enters object D, your game may CTD. If you do not reload the game before object D enters your area, the game will restart it self...:D After all this years it seams that objects A, B and C are mostly .dat imported units and planes, particles ect while obj.D will almost always be found in the harbor...

Quote:

I make a save in/out of patrol area ~100km "open sea" all stop 0kn, run TC512 and watch the minute hand. If the minute hand isnt moving smooth at this TC there is probably traffic <60km away.

A famous FPS convoy detector! :D Unfortunately , people with fast CPU's wont notice much of that...:D

Quote:

That patrol I mentioned finally did CTD going back to Willhemshaven at TC128.

Restart the game before you get too close to the homeport and you'll avoid that...

Jedstream 05-03-15 11:05 AM

How do I deactivate these to stop CTD at homeport? Cheers.

TDW_Ship_Inertia_1_1_0
TDW_IRAI_Inertia_Damage_Test

Aktungbby 05-03-15 11:47 AM

welcome aboard!

Jedstream & Death6 :Kaleun_Salute: We missed your first posts; forgive our bad manners.

Jedstream 05-03-15 12:20 PM

Thanks- and no problem!

vdr1981 05-03-15 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedstream (Post 2311331)

TDW_Ship_Inertia_1_1_0

I don't get you there? Those mods are not part of this modpack...

THE_MASK 05-03-15 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedstream (Post 2311331)

TDW_Ship_Inertia_1_1_0

TDW_Ship_Inertia_1_1_0
is out dated by RPM inertia that is found in the TDW_GenericPatcher_v_1_0_168_0 .

THEBERBSTER 05-03-15 05:42 PM

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Death6 & Jedstream :subsim:
You Will Always Find Someone Here To Help You :sunny:
New To Silent Hunter <> Need Help <> Click On My Thread Link. :salute:
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community :yeah:

kevinsue 05-03-15 05:48 PM

Quote:

I experienced something similar but extremely rarely and if I remember correctly I used SH5 interface back then... Maybe you should try SH3 interface and if the same problem repeats it must be something GPU driver related...
Thanks for the replies.....I'll change over to the SH3 interface now and see if the problem happens again. I've just returned to Heligoland for a refit and I'm about to head out back to AM3987 for another 72 hour stint. (That's such a long way for a refit!!:-?)

Off Topic: Just read a book yesterday called "I Flew for the Fuhrer" by Heinz Knoke. He spent much of the war years defending this area, Heligoland, Wilhelmshaven and Kiel etc against the massive allied bomber attacks......Interesting read! :yep:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobucks
Yeah...I normally do a save and game reload just prior to entering the patrol area, 200 km radius or whatever is stipulated. 72 hours is a long time between saves if there is a lot happening. I try not to use anything above 128 TC. Trying to overhaul fast convoys or doing 4 bearings on whale pods etc in inclement weather just makes 72 hours between saves seem to go on forever!!:D

Shaefer 05-04-15 04:54 AM

Quote:

Shaefer's deck gun adventure, really must see! :haha::up:

Thank you for linking my embarrassing moments, old man. :O: :subsim:
Quote:

Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER (Post 2311074)
Hi Guys

You can get all of Shaefer's video's from my tutorial post's in one place.

See TWOS in action.

Enjoy Peter

Wow, I had no idea you`d done this. Not sure my videos qualify as tutorials though, but I am honored.
Thank you very much, sir! :salute:

I have some questions:
1: Can I apply "Nvidia missing lights" with the JSGME, after everything else, without messing the game up? In the folder there is only texture files, so I take it that wont make problems.....
2: I would also like to apply the "hide UI" option. Would be great for video making. Is there a guide somewhere on how to?
3: I am ready to install patch 5 + hotfix 2, but I dont want to screw it up. From what I read, I just apply it out of rendering distance, and I am good to go. No snapshot restoring at all, right?
Thank you for your time.

THE_MASK 05-04-15 05:03 AM

Your a star :salute:
Shift + Z hides the UI