SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

Koranis 02-19-16 07:16 AM

@gap

No, but close! :)

Yes, the filters are there but I'm not talking about those. The checkbox I'm talking about was indeed placed next to the filters, and now it's missing. It was responsible for giving a name to the "unknown ship".

I'm sure I haven't dreamed it! :)

Anyway, now that we can all agree that the checkbox I'm talking about is not there... how do you identify an unknown freighter? How do you make turn into "liberty cargo" for example?

palmic 02-19-16 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koranis (Post 2382559)
@gap

No, but close! :)

Yes, the filters are there but I'm not talking about those. The checkbox I'm talking about was indeed placed next to the filters, and now it's missing. It was responsible for giving a name to the "unknown ship".

I'm sure I haven't dreamed it! :)

Anyway, now that we can all agree that the checkbox I'm talking about is not there... how do you identify an unknown freighter? How do you make turn into "liberty cargo" for example?

You dont need to do this, just sent mast height from recognition book to TDC and you're ready to use stadimeter if you want to.
There's more ways how to measure distances like RAOBF - find on YT if you want.
The way how to use ship recognition in TWOS is to use the information from book directly - manually, i like it so.

Koranis 02-19-16 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmic (Post 2382558)

My style is to measure ship course, distance and speed from 20-40km by hydrophone bearing analysis go find 4 bearings method video at YT if you dont know how.
With this info you dont even need to measure it optically for long distance, just confirm it at ~5km.

Wow, that's interesting. I've never been able to use hydrophone to obtain so much targetting info, I will have to check it.

Also it's interesting that I don't necessarily need to know the type of the ship. I always wondered how they were hitting those ships in conditions of near pitch black....

thanks, mate!

vdr1981 02-19-16 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2382499)
Sorry man, I felt I had not got your idea correctly...

No, as long as you use the same granny file with unchanged bone names, there is no need to remap controller IDs. There are still some unsolved problems though:

1 - Most of the times, the name of the main model (within an unit's gr2 file), the name of the gr2 file, and the name of the folder containing the gr2 file, are matched. This is not always true for AI-controlled units, but it is for playable U-boats. If we change model name, we need to remap controller Id's. If we don't, there will be a mismatch between model name and gr2 and/or folder name. Honestly I don't know if such a mismatch can cause any problem, but this is something we should factor in.

2 - Even supposing that the above wasn't an issue, we would have two U-boats sharing the same bone IDs. It would be impossible for the two of them to appear in the same time and location, as they both would be playable U-boats, and the player can only command one U-boat at any given time. Nonetheless, we should consider that controllers are loaded in memory based on their parent IDs. Name and folder location of the binary files where the controllers are stored might play a role as well, but I am not too sure about this last statement. If the above was true, duplicating two units which share the same ID's shouldn't cause any issue until they both spawn in player's area (which, as stated above, is impossible for two playable units), but if on the contrary file name and location are unrelevant, the game would crash as soon as one of the two units is loaded in memory (because of the two sets of controllers clashing with each other). Testing this scenario on AI controlled units is easy: pick an unit, move one of its essential binary files in any folder and rename it to a random name. Set a test mission with the picked unit and run it. If the game crashes it means it couldnt locate the essential controllers, i.e. file name and location are relevant. If not, only IDs matter, and your idea is not viable. Another possible test: duplicate an unit copying its files to a new folder, and change the cfg file of the duplicated unit so that the game will recognize them as two different units. To be sure to put yourself into the worst possible circumstance, change a bit controller settings of the duplicated unit; set a test mission with either of the two units and load it. If the game crashes, then the two sets of controllers are loaded because the have the same parent Ids, no matter their name or folder.

Thank you once again gap for your resourceful answers. Right now I'm optimistic that it is actually possible to create one more playable units from submarine parts which are already implemented into the game, but I am not so sure that I alone will be able to do that. There is just too many files involved (especially upcge and upc files:doh:) and my understanding of those files is limited. I'm going to open a new thread. There's too much traffic here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2382499)
3 - More importantly: how do you "tell" the game that there is a new playable unit that the player can get assigned to? As far as I know, at least in SH5, playable units are hardcoded. :hmmm:

I hope I wont be able to confirm your claim. For now it seems that nothing is "blocked" due to hardcode...My main issue is to set up correctly upc and upcge files. What I'm trying to do is to copy one already existing sub, edit one of them and to convince the game that those are actually two different units trough upcge, upc and cfg files. We'll see...:hmm2:

excel4004 02-19-16 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VentHorizon http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/smartdark/viewpost.gif
Greetings.
My charts options are gone. pressing "E" key does not help, it just turns recognition manual on and off. (and yea i did not misplace the options to the side of the screen by accident) I have disabled and enabled mods in JSGME. Even reinstalled the mods. It did not help. Any way to fix this? Can i somehow set everything back to default without reinstalling the game?

Quote:

Originally Posted by excel4004 (Post 2382506)
I got the same problem, someone got maybe a solution?

I found the answer on the first page:

Solving Issues
- I've lost my charts/recognition manual?!
Delete all ***_Draggables.TDW files from main game folder and start the game again...

Sry admins, i thought the answer of this question was somewhere in the last 20 pages of this thread, didnt find it and for that i posted this question again.
Anyway, i dont want to spam this thread, just posted the answer again for VentHorizon or some others who still have this problem.

Admins maybe its a good idea to delete this posting and posting #3995
after one or two days if you want.

Greetings.

:subsim:

THEBERBSTER 02-19-16 11:14 AM

Hi Koranis
Are you referring to a setting that can be enabled in TDW's Option File Editor Viewer in the Scopes Tab giving you information in the periscopes?
Peter

Koranis 02-19-16 12:57 PM

Hello Berbster, sorry but I don't know what you are referring to. Anyways, since there is no such option currently in the game and none seems to miss it I'll go ahead and learn to do without.

gap 02-19-16 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2382564)
Thank you once again gap for your resourceful answers.

My pleasure sir :)

Quote:

Right now I'm optimistic that it is actually possible to create one more playable units from submarine parts which are already implemented into the game, but I am not so sure that I alone will be able to do that. There is just too many files involved (especially upcge and upc files:doh:) and my understanding of those files is limited.

Yes, those files are a mess, but most of their settings are used to couple playable units with their equipments/armaments/functionalities, and are common to all the U-boat types featured in game (with the exception of conning towers and other type-specific upgrades). Unfortunately I am supposed to move again in East Africa in two weeks. Right now I can't commit myself to this new project of yours but I will keep an eye on the forum and, whenever you need for help, during my spare time I will try and support you as much as I can.

Quote:

I hope I wont be able to confirm your claim. For now it seems that nothing is "blocked" due to hardcode...

Fingers crossed :up:

Quote:

My main issue is to set up correctly upc and upcge files. What I'm trying to do is to copy one already existing sub, edit one of them and to convince the game that those are actually two different units trough upcge, upc and cfg files. We'll see...:hmm2:

My suggestion is to use VII C files as base. Use winmerge for comparing them with their homologous files of other U-boat types. Leave alone common settings, and focus on groups of parameters changing from an u-boat type to the other, trying to understand what they do exactly. :yep:

GV_Vyga 02-19-16 02:10 PM

maps

maps

Sjizzle 02-19-16 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GV_Vyga (Post 2382691)
maps

what do u mean with this post ?

Sjizzle 02-19-16 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koranis (Post 2382561)
Wow, that's interesting. I've never been able to use hydrophone to obtain so much targetting info, I will have to check it.

Also it's interesting that I don't necessarily need to know the type of the ship. I always wondered how they were hitting those ships in conditions of near pitch black....

thanks, mate!

dick o'kane targeting solution and fast 90 degree...... read here a really good thread about this targeting solution made by Rockin Robbins also has a video tutorial on youtube

Edit:

for beginners i really suggest this 2 tools Hydrophon tracking
and solution solver

THEBERBSTER 02-19-16 03:02 PM

Hi Koranis
Just look in the FAQ's.

I want more custom settings in order to set gameplay options to suit my playing style (auto TDC, map contacts, UI style ect)...
Sure..Withing the modpack is contained an awesome TDW User Options File Editor Viewer application. Learn how to use this app and explore it's options. It is truly remarkable application and it offers to the player level of customization like in no previous SH title...How to use TDW Options File Editor Viewer with The Wolves of Steel Megamod

Peter

Sjizzle 02-19-16 03:07 PM

idk if somebody can implement this tool in TWoS this tools it is in MagUI it's damn helpful for interception :D

vdr1981 02-19-16 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2382473)

After a bit more testing I still haven't find bigger reason why U-FlaK shouldn't be added to SH5 as new submarine type, the very first one in SH5? It would be much easier to add new conning tower upgrade to C or C/41, but it would be much better to have it as stand alone unit because from what I know, U-FlaK were quite handicapped in number of torpedoes, range, maneuverability ect ...:hmm2: What do you say gap?:hmm2:

Hey , I think I got it! :yeah:
U-FlaK as a aditional playable ship works really nice...Now I have to figure out how to get rid of internal torpedoes reserves...:) Any tips gap, someone?

Hmmm, now now I'm really intrigued about the idea of some playable warships or merchants...There is a chance that something like that would be possible after all...:hmm2:

palmic 02-19-16 03:48 PM

Real navigation TMA update

Hi guys, i would like to let you know i updated my Real navigation target motion analysis cheatsheet by real example from my current session!

For those who dont understand - i started that thread because i got tired by map geometry and while i found some materials about it which helped me a lot, i hopped to find full description which i haven't found.
So i created it :)

Hopefully this will answer all your questions about it which you wasn't asking :salute: