SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

GrenSo 11-09-22 03:07 AM

I have no experience with SH5 on Win11, because I'm already on Win10, but I suspect that it will be an issue on Win11, since there were similar problems here, for example: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=253662

If you haven't tried it yet, it's best to install SH5 and also TWoS as admin in compatibility mode with Win10 or Win7, because I don't think it's due to any drivers.

BTW, does SH5 need the C++ Redistributable?

fitzcarraldo 11-09-22 07:45 AM

I'm running TWoS on W11 with GrenSo enviro and I don't have any issue, except, sometimes, the "camera out of sectors" problem in external view.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

JerseySeven 11-09-22 01:25 PM

@Grenso
Thanks. I'm already running it in Win7 compatibility mode and admin install. SH5 pre-TWOS install has no problems with the recognition images or the UZO. Running TWOS without any optional mods seems to fix the UZO, but the ship ID images are still missing. I may need to test each mod to see if any particular one or ones cause the problem. I know they all worked fine under Win10.
  • TWoS Encrypted BdU Orders
  • TWoS Officer Icons as Stations
  • TWoS Env Settings - Brighter Nights
  • TWoS SM Interior_Food Stocks
  • TWOS restore captain's icon 1 by JCWolf
  • TWoS Ship Auto Recognition <added after ID book problem>

@Fitzcarraldo
Are you running NVIDIA or Radeon? I'd switch cards if I thought it would help.

I holler if I get it sorted.

fitzcarraldo 11-09-22 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseySeven (Post 2837063)
@Grenso
Thanks. I'm already running it in Win7 compatibility mode and admin install. SH5 pre-TWOS install has no problems with the recognition images or the UZO. Running TWOS without any optional mods seems to fix the UZO, but the ship ID images are still missing. I may need to test each mod to see if any particular one or ones cause the problem. I know they all worked fine under Win10.
  • TWoS Encrypted BdU Orders
  • TWoS Officer Icons as Stations
  • TWoS Env Settings - Brighter Nights
  • TWoS SM Interior_Food Stocks
  • TWOS restore captain's icon 1 by JCWolf
  • TWoS Ship Auto Recognition <added after ID book problem>

@Fitzcarraldo
Are you running NVIDIA or Radeon? I'd switch cards if I thought it would help.

I holler if I get it sorted.

I´m running Nvidia.

Warning: SM Interior Food Stock is problematic with your graohics if you use external cameras. It is recommended to use food stocks only without external cameras active. If you use external cameras, use GrenSo environment and disable Food Stock.

Try your installation:

1) with external cameras and without food stocks.
2) without external cameras and food stocks actuve.

See if this solve your issue.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute:

JerseySeven 11-09-22 10:38 PM

Thank you for the warning about the interior food stocks. I won't miss them. I tried with external camera and no food stocks, and no external camera and no food stocks. The problem persisted! Hmm.
I will likely play without external camera (hardly ever use it except for screenshots) and without the food stocks. Maybe after starting a new patrol things will shake out?

vanjast 11-10-22 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torpedo (Post 2836655)
https://www.mediafire.com/view/id1uj...rotto.jpg/fileHi everyone! After some months I started playing with SH5 and installing TWOS 2.2.25. Last time I had TWOS 2.2.23 and Windows 10 and everything worked great. Now I have Windows 11 and I upgraded to 2.2.25 and it came up with 2 problems. I also tried to delete the SH5 folder to make a new career but the problems are always there:
1- ID book images show as just a white background, no ship images.
2- the UZO has a square display
I don't remember what file the UZO used to try to edit it.
I also tried to change the compatibility of SH5, but nothing to do.
However from what I have read in the forum I would not be the only one to have these problems.
Anyone have a solution in mind?
Thank you so much!

https://www.mediafire.com/view/id1uj...rotto.jpg/file

https://www.mediafire.com/view/id1uj...rotto.jpg/file

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/nrcyxs01/UZO-corrotto.jpg[/IMG]

Torpedo :k_confused:

That looks like your scope page files are missing/corrupted.
I don't have my computer running but check your menu/gui, menu/layout, menu/pages (folder names approximate) folders.
you might also have the DDS files missing/in wrong folder, or the page folders *.ini file referencing the wrong DDS file.

:03:

What you see here is the base DirectX screen layout, and the page ini files overlay the DDS images on top of this.
SH series uses a layered image approach.

JerseySeven 11-11-22 08:27 PM

Things are getting stranger...
I did a clean install of stock SH5, and TWOS 2.2.25 full. For about 20 minutes of real time in game, everything was working fine. Charts, recog manual, UZO.
I did a mid patrol save in the middle of the sea. No contacts. Not submerged. Down in the control room. Resumed game: UZO - square white image. Recog: square white image where ship should be. Charts: just white images.
Exited to desktop, reloaded, and everything was still screwy.
I'm totally stumped!

EDIT: I think it has to do with the files ending in .TDW, which from the time stamps, get recopied to the main folder every time you load a save. Maybe they get corrupted in the process... but why only in Win11???

These filest get updated on every save:

PageAutomation_Draggables.TDW
PageChalkBoard_Draggables.TDW
PageDefaultHud_Draggables.TDW
Pageeventcamera_Draggables.TDW
Pagelayout_Draggables.TDW
PageNavMapFeatures_Draggables.TDW
PageSpeechRecSettings_Draggables.TDW
PageTDC_Draggables.TDW
PageTutorial_Draggables.TDW
PageXO_TDC_Dialog_Draggables.TDW
ScopeSettings.TDW

ScopeSettings is probably benign: just scope HUD filter colors.

Maybe "PageNavMapFeatures_Draggables.TDW"?

I can delete the game folder and recopy all the files after a fresh install and everything works the first time I load a save. If I save, and reload, then the various helpful charts all turn white. Exit to menu and reload the same save, and the charts don't show at all.

Interestingly, this correlates with with recog manual glitch and the UZO glitch as well.

vdr1981 11-12-22 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseySeven (Post 2837498)
Things are getting stranger...
I did a clean install of stock SH5, and TWOS 2.2.25 full. For about 20 minutes of real time in game, everything was working fine. Charts, recog manual, UZO.
I did a mid patrol save in the middle of the sea. No contacts. Not submerged. Down in the control room. Resumed game: UZO - square white image. Recog: square white image where ship should be. Charts: just white images.
Exited to desktop, reloaded, and everything was still screwy.
I'm totally stumped!

EDIT: I think it has to do with the files ending in .TDW, which from the time stamps, get recopied to the main folder every time you load a save. Maybe they get corrupted in the process... but why only in Win11???

These filest get updated on every save:

PageAutomation_Draggables.TDW
PageChalkBoard_Draggables.TDW
PageDefaultHud_Draggables.TDW
Pageeventcamera_Draggables.TDW
Pagelayout_Draggables.TDW
PageNavMapFeatures_Draggables.TDW
PageSpeechRecSettings_Draggables.TDW
PageTDC_Draggables.TDW
PageTutorial_Draggables.TDW
PageXO_TDC_Dialog_Draggables.TDW
ScopeSettings.TDW

ScopeSettings is probably benign: just scope HUD filter colors.

Maybe "PageNavMapFeatures_Draggables.TDW"?

I can delete the game folder and recopy all the files after a fresh install and everything works the first time I load a save. If I save, and reload, then the various helpful charts all turn white. Exit to menu and reload the same save, and the charts don't show at all.

Interestingly, this correlates with with recog manual glitch and the UZO glitch as well.

It seems that Win11 with recent updates from some reason doesn't like old dds files from TWoS. Im not really sure how to test this since I use win7 still. :hmmm:
Maybe compression settings in dds files could be problematic. If someone could re-save few dds files on win11 without any compression, that may tell us something...:hmmm:

fitzcarraldo 11-12-22 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2837524)
It seems that Win11 with recent updates from some reason doesn't like old dds files from TWoS. Im not really sure how to test this since I use win7 still. :hmmm:
Maybe compression settings in dds files could be problematic. If someone could re-save few dds files on win11 without any compression, that may tell us something...:hmmm:

Hi Vecko.

I use TWoS with W11 and I do not have any issue.

Not a problem with W11 for me.

Best regards.

JerseySeven 11-12-22 08:51 PM

If I delete the Silent Hunter 5 folder and copied all SH5-TWOS files from an unplayed backup it works fine... for awhile. In the image below, you see the user charts, and recog manual are fine, and the UZO looks normal.

https://imgur.com/a/4uZvSHD

So, Win11 can display things properly, but only for a time. Pressing 'O' for the clock messes everything again, instantly. Also, using the enigma decoder seems to also initiate the problem. Sometimes, not doing either of those actions, and the UZO and recog manual will still blank out.

BTW: I had excluded the Silent Hunter 5 folder from my antivirus sniffing around. Apparently, that was not enough to prevent recurrence of the problem.

Unless someone has a breakthrough solution, I will just install Windows 10 on a bootable USB stick, along with UPlay, and Silent Hunter 5. I'm done wasting time getting this to work in Win11.

Thankfully, I do not need to do this with SH3 or SH4.

JerseySeven 11-12-22 11:13 PM

@Vecko
Thank you for your kind offer. I'm a bit frustrated at this point and am ready to give up.
If you want to have a look, I'll be glad to send you the dll files in a zipped folder.
Did you want all of the .dll files or just the ones that start with TDW?

vdr1981 11-13-22 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo (Post 2837586)
Hi Vecko.

I use TWoS with W11 and I do not have any issue.

Not a problem with W11 for me.

Best regards.

That's interesting but also confusing...:hmmm: Nvidia or AMD graphics?

vdr1981 11-13-22 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseySeven (Post 2837645)
If I delete the Silent Hunter 5 folder and copied all SH5-TWOS files from an unplayed backup it works fine... for awhile. In the image below, you see the user charts, and recog manual are fine, and the UZO looks normal.

https://imgur.com/a/4uZvSHD

So, Win11 can display things properly, but only for a time. Pressing 'O' for the clock messes everything again, instantly. Also, using the enigma decoder seems to also initiate the problem. Sometimes, not doing either of those actions, and the UZO and recog manual will still blank out.

BTW: I had excluded the Silent Hunter 5 folder from my antivirus sniffing around. Apparently, that was not enough to prevent recurrence of the problem.

Unless someone has a breakthrough solution, I will just install Windows 10 on a bootable USB stick, along with UPlay, and Silent Hunter 5. I'm done wasting time getting this to work in Win11.

Thankfully, I do not need to do this with SH3 or SH4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseySeven (Post 2837663)
@Vecko
Thank you for your kind offer. I'm a bit frustrated at this point and am ready to give up.
If you want to have a look, I'll be glad to send you the dll files in a zipped folder.
Did you want all of the .dll files or just the ones that start with TDW?

No, I was talking about simple dds files (textures) but it seems that the problem is much more deeper than that, system related. I'm not even sure where to start to look for the issues. :hmmm: The big question now is to narrow down why some win11 users have this problem while others don't...:hmmm:

Can you try next time instead of copying entire SH5 folder, copy just TDW_dragables and dll files. Will that also temporarily fix the problem?

Cristi_Neagu 11-13-22 08:48 AM

I'm wondering if something they did to make DirectStorage happen messed something up with the older APIs...

fitzcarraldo 11-13-22 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2837677)
That's interesting but also confusing...:hmmm: Nvidia or AMD graphics?

Nvidia GC.

SH5 1.2 DVD Gold.

My list:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[E:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\TWoS_Parts]

TWoS Campaign Start_VIIB_UFlaK
TWoS FX_Incr. Flooding via Zones
TWoS Harbors Chimney Smoke
TWoS Missing Nav Map Coordinates_Fix
TWoS Remove Sub Flags
TWoS Wooden Lifeboats
Air Force for TWoS 2224_re-saved
Das Boot Departure Theme
Das Boot Gramophone music by Navuhodonosor
DBLS for TWoS
gap - The SH5 EcoMod v0.2.1 - 1. Main mod
gap - The SH5 EcoMod v0.2.1 - 2.b 3x increased tree density
gap - The SH5 EcoMod v0.2.1 - 3. Season fine-tunings (only DynEnv and TWoS users)
gap - The SH5 EcoMod v0.2.1 - 4.a Full resolution tree textures
gap - The SH5 EcoMod v0.2.1 - 5.a Full resolution detail masks
gap - The SH5 EcoMod v0.2.1 - Testing missions
DynEnv v2.9 - 10.I Seafloor (high resolution)
DynEnv v2.9 - 11.a.I Sea Plants - Atlantic Kelp Forests (high resolution)
GSE v1.2.6 by GrenSo
GSE - G7e Torpedotexture
GSE - alternative Periscope and OBS
Cameras without flicks
Pascal_recognition handbook_for_NewsUIs_TDC
Kriegsmarine Medals by U-190
Pascal-sh5-Crew-Uniforms_version14
RUSTED GLORY SH5 (LIGHTS ONLY)
SD_MapLocationNameFix_v1.2
Bstanko's Night Filter
_1_Stormys DBSM_TWos SH5 v1.3 Basemod
_2_Stormys DBSM_TWos SH5 v1.3 HOTFIX 3
_o_Stormys DBSM_TWos SH5 v1.3 additional crew sounds beta6
_o_Stormys DBSM_TWos SH5 v1.3 optional -6db damped Sonarguy
_o_Stormys DBSM_TWos SH5 v1.3 optional NavMap babelling
_o_Stormys DBSM_TWos SH5 v1.3 optional remaining orig sounds converted to 22Khz
BritishAsdicMkIFinal
Bstanko6's AlarmClock
Compans_Sub chatter
DasBootSehrohr
DeckKannon
GSE - Radione R3
NewUIs_TDC_7_5_0_Das_Boot_Crew_Mod_by_Illyustrator
No Rusted Mines and Subnets by U-190
SeawolvesVoices
Pascal_sh5_Radio_Paris
DynEnv v2.9 - Wave Mechanics - Gale (Improved)
DynEnv v2.9 - 4.b Camera Filters - Vivid Colors
DynEnv v2.9 - 6. Sleet for Winter Campaigns
DynEnv v2.9 - 3.b Enhanced Visibility (high)
SKIN_VIIC_ArcticCamo_byTheBeast
DBSM_Music_1_0_4
TWoS Real Navigation

Working well in W11.

Regards.