SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] S3D - Silent 3ditor (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119571)

DanielCoffey 08-28-20 03:29 PM

Not sure about the speeds I am afraid. I don't know how the game handles that but the data / submarine / yoursub / yoursub.cfg would be where I would have looked too. Maybe that is just for the AI subs?

KaleunMarco 08-28-20 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnHeck (Post 2692529)
Daniel! Thank you SO much! I can't believe the one place I DIDN'T look was the downloads section of the forum. Duh-doy.

One other question, if I may? I'm trying to adjust top speeds....a couple of the subs are a knot or two too fast, I think. But even when I got into data/submarine/(sub type) and adjust the config file, it's not reflected in the game.
Any insight on that? :Kaleun_Salute:

CapnHeck, (that's a heck of handle)

adjusting speed settings is really tricky. using the S3ditor is the correct tool to edit the sub.sim file but you may be in for more than you expected.
speed is controlled by varying the Propulsion elements (4) with the Surfaced Drag elements (2). changing them for a knot or so of difference is going to be a lot of work on your part.

if i can make a suggestion...actually two suggestions. first, you can limit your top speed by using the knot indicator gauge and only indicating so many knots as your max speed. so that solution is self-controlled. should you decide that the situation absolutely, positively calls for an extra knot, it is there for you to use....just like Chief Howard' fifth of hooch in Down Periscope.

the second suggestion is that you can limit your top speed by changing the engine order telegraph AheadFlank setting in sub.cfg. ignore the Maxspeed settings in the CFG file as they are holdovers from SH3 and will have no effect in SH4. AheadFlank is set to 1.00 today. if you want to knock a knot off of a speed of 21 kts, for example, just do the math: 20/21 = 0.9523809523809524, so make the AheadFlank value something approximating that .95 number and be sure to use the EOT for your speed orders rather than the knot indicator gauge.

those are my suggestions. i tried testing different values in Propulsion and Drag and all i did was waste time. the algorithm for speed is buried somewhere in Ubi-land and you (we) would need that algorithm to make any sensible changes.
whatever you decide, good luck!
:Kaleun_Salute:

Leran147 04-28-21 08:28 PM

Help using the tool needed

I was told to download S3D to visualize and extract models from the SH games; so, naturally, I installed it.
Here's the thing, most options are greyed out?
What's with that??

I'm a noob for all intents and purposes, so please don't take this as criticism but rather a friendly query.

Looks to be of very nice construction though! If only I knew how to use it....:k_confused:

KaleunMarco 04-28-21 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leran147 (Post 2744965)
I was told to download S3D to visualize and extract models from the SH games; so, naturally, I installed it.
Here's the thing, most options are greyed out?
What's with that??

I'm a noob for all intents and purposes, so please don't take this as criticism but rather a friendly query.

Looks to be of very nice construction though! If only I knew how to use it....:k_confused:

just drag and drop one of the related files, just like it was a Windows application. try dat, sim, zon... they are visible on the right side of the app.
or
you can browse to one of the data files, right click and choose Open With and then choose S3D.

:Kaleun_Salute:

Jeff-Groves 04-29-21 03:38 PM

Now.
If you get to the point and figure out how to export the 3D meshes?
You'll find that parts are not as you see them in Game!

Many parts will have a Zero XYZ placement so not be where you expect!
You need to see the settings in S3D to adjust those parts in other 3D programs.
Since many are Parented? It can get frustrating.

Me? I just write a Script for 010 to allow it to adjust the XZY based on my input.
If I get real motivated? I may finish the Script to automate a properly placed full extract.

That Script also pulls the Guns and stuff and places them.
But I'm not really motivated that much to finish it.

Leran147 04-29-21 06:49 PM

I see it now!

Right, that which you mention will not be an issue, as I will probably edit the models myself in Lightwave; no worries.
Aw, that is a shame; tools such as these always come in handy; both for the initiated, and the non (yup, that's me!).
The current tool is good enough as it is though, so there is no rush; or even need for that matter.

Thank you both for the fast replies! :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

propbeanie 07-26-21 10:04 AM

At this time, skwasjer's web site is not responding here mid-USA and I am receiving a "This site can't be reached" error. I don't know if that is because of where I am, or a site error, or something in between. Just in case someone else is looking for S3D, this is to remind everyone that Sailor Steve uploaded Silent3Ditor to SubSim here:

Silent3ditor download

The github link in skwasjer's signature on the first page does still function. :salute:

Mister_M 10-26-21 08:16 AM

Hello,

All zones are "Unknown zone type" in Property details... Does anyone know where this problem comes from ?? :doh:

Jeff-Groves 10-26-21 12:12 PM

Explain with images if you can.
I'm not seeing this.

Mister_M 10-26-21 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves (Post 2775998)
Explain with images if you can.
I'm not seeing this.

https://nsm09.casimages.com/img/2021...9017638357.png

Mister_M 10-26-21 06:10 PM

This happens since I've modified the file Zones.cfg... :hmmm:

propbeanie 10-26-21 06:48 PM

Surely you set aside a copy of the file, or have the Stock game on disk, or the original modded version of the file available?

106=AmmoBunkerA

The file is built a certain way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDkiq5jD5Hc

Mister_M 10-27-21 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2776028)
The file is built a certain way

I have probably moved some paragraphs upwards or downwards. Why would it be problematic ? :hmmm:

Jeff-Groves 10-27-21 11:14 AM

You need to have the list proper at the beginning of the Zones.cfg
Link your Zones.cfg so we can look at it.

I promise not to laugh to hard!
:haha:

Mister_M 10-27-21 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves (Post 2776124)
You need to have the list proper at the beginning of the Zones.cfg
Link your Zones.cfg so we can look at it.

I promise not to laugh to hard!

Problem solved ! I've put to a next line all the comments written after a ";" in the list at the beginning of the Zones.cfg

Jeff-Groves 10-27-21 02:57 PM

Damn it! You just ruined my day!
:har:

Mister_M 10-27-21 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves (Post 2776159)
Damn it! You just ruined my day!
:har:

Why ? :huh:

VIDOCQ_EU 03-29-22 05:52 AM

unfortunately s3d.skwas.com is dead. where i can find copy of this soft ?

propbeanie 03-29-22 07:33 AM

One needs to look no further than SubSim dot com for most of their SubSimming needs... ahem :arrgh!:

Silent 3Ditor

Aktungbby 03-29-22 09:30 PM

VIDOCQ_EU!:Kaleun_Salute: