SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] S3D - Silent 3ditor (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119571)

Digital_Trucker 07-06-08 09:38 AM

:rotfl:You weren't the class clown, by any chance, were you, Mr X?:rotfl:

skwasjer 07-06-08 04:11 PM

In preparation of the upcoming release... Please hold your breath just a little longer :rotfl: Upload commencing in 30 minutes...

Known issues:
  1. Well, basically, this is the first 3D viewer I ever made for public use, so anything can happen. I'm fairly confident it will work out for most but I can't know in advance. I was only able to test on 2 GFX cards, one eVGA GTX8800 768 and one eVGA GTS7600 256. If you run into problems, please post your GFX card, GFX memory, and platform, and the exact message that is given to you by S3D. Additionally, I also require that you attach the DAT-file(s). Without this info I can't help you.
  2. Model preview on huge dat-files (interiors) are painfully slow in wireframe mode. This is due to the Z-buffer being overloaded. To prevent this, use Solid or a combination of Solid + ... so wires in the distance can be clipped. In closeup mode (inside the interior), performance is better though if alot of the geometry is behind the camera...
I don't think I need to say more, below is the changelog. I suggest you read it first before running S3D so you know in advance what has changed and don't miss out on some of the other new features and improvements.

Version v0.9.0 - Download

New
  • OFF support (bitmap font definition file). Allows you to make custom bitmap fonts (well, you make the actual bitmap in ie. Photoshop, you can define the rectangles in S3D though). OFF files are found in Data\Menu\Fonts. For S3D to open the associated .TGA or .DDS, the image must have the same name and be placed in the same folder as the .OFF file.
  • Integrated 3D viewer. Allows you to view all the objects in an entire .DAT file. No texture support. Please visit this thread for a brief walkthrough of how to work with the viewer: SUBSIM thread.
  • Ability to modify the camera sector of interiors. If you select the root node of an interior, a new panel is available called 'Interior camera clip sector' with a couple of fields to edit the bounding box.
Changed
  • Restyled the UI a bit. Added panels (of which some are collapsable) to group specific fields and values.
  • Float and double values were previously formatted without a decimal seperator if the value contained no decimals, and so they looked visually the same as int, long, etc. They are now however always formatted with at least one decimal.
  • Adding and changing materials on a node is now easier due to a redesigned UI. Material id's can now be ordered, and also added through a picklist, instead of having to copy/paste the id yourself.
  • Replaced 'Visibility' edit box with a checkbox.
  • Renamed 'Insert new chunk' to 'Append new chunk'.
  • Renamed 'Offset' to 'Translation'.
Improved
  • If an MTL-file is empty, a proper error message is shown (thanks Mikhayl)
  • If a model uses a material that is not found in the MTL-file an error message is shown.
  • If a parent node of a model node has no materials assigned (or less then number of materials the imported model uses), a warning message will be shown to warn you that the import procedure may cause incorrect renderings.
Fixed
  • Crash bug when attempting to add a RotationKeyFrames or PositionKeyFrames chunk.
  • If materials in the MTL-file had different ordering compared to the material id's linked on the parent node, the model would be incorrectly rendered. The importer now compares the material names and attempts to reorder the materials. This will still fail if material names are different. In this case the order must match the materials on the parent node for the model to be rendered correctly.
  • Due to a bug, import of OBJ-models that contained normals, in combination with the setting 'Flip coordinate system' turned off and 'Reverse face winding' on were not imported correctly (resulting in incorrectly lit models in game). If the model did not contain normals or the settings were set otherwise, the problem wasn't there though. Thanks Sergbuto, for notifying me.

Xantrokoles 07-06-08 04:13 PM

30 Minutes Yeaaaaah!!!!!!

Time for playing a long time tonight with the 3d viewer:up:
How is able to work with campaign layers now?

Thank you for all Skawasjer!

Xantrokoles 07-06-08 04:50 PM

Yes I am the first!!!!

Feels like Christmas!

skwasjer 07-06-08 04:52 PM

It's out! Grab it while it's hot. Click one of the links (signature or previous post) or choose 'Check for updates...' in S3D. Cheers, and have fun...

I hope there won't be alot of 3D related problems now (crosses fingers) ;)

Digital_Trucker 07-06-08 04:58 PM

Thanks, swas:up: You da man:yep:

Just in time to start messing with the decks on the PT boat:rock:

Xantrokoles 07-06-08 05:00 PM

Skawas, again a big thanks out of Germany.

The 3d viewer is just doozy!
Its performance is great.

The time of guessing coordinates and testing in game are over:lol:

I hope you have nice camping weeks with your familie and you may use German expressways.;)

EDIT:
A question:
When I have in the viewer the right side. Which side is it in game?

skwasjer 07-06-08 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xantrokoles
Skawas, again a big thanks out of Germany.

The 3d viewer is just doozy!
Its performance is great.

The time of guessing coordinates and testing in game are over:lol:

I hope you have nice camping weeks with your familie and you may use German expressways.;)

Dont keep it up now and have fun:up:

Well, I'm staying in Holland this year (first time ever, usually it's France, or beyond) for several reasons. But I'll be close to Germany so I am sure we will take a day trip across the border... :smug:

Good to hear it works well for you ;)

skwasjer 07-06-08 05:05 PM

Look at the axes icon in the corner. The direction they are facing is positive coordinates. Rotation has an exception: Z-rotation is clockwise, while X/Y are counter (if you look along the axis from 0,0,0). It's not a bug or something, in Max it's the same (although Max has Y and Z axes flipped). The game has Y as the "up-vector".

[edit] And another thing. Currently I use hardcoded (meaning, you can't change it in S3D) multisampling 4x as max limit. It will use 2x or none if the GFX card doesn't support it. In any case, if you want to change GFX quality, use your GFX control applet...

skwasjer 07-06-08 05:17 PM

Also note, a model viewer is cool and all, but it WILL consume significant amounts of resources. I've programmed the engine fairly smart in that it will stop the rendering loop when you toggle to another application, as well as when no "node" chunk is selected, yet memory consumption will rise regardless of that. Especially when working with big files, alot of models, etc, and other applications open, a slowdown may be noticable...

peabody 07-06-08 05:47 PM

Thanks Skwasjer

Thank you for all your time and work creating this masterpiece:up: Now, what's it for?:rotfl:

Peabody

skwasjer 07-06-08 05:51 PM

I'm not sure myself. People wanted this, so now they have it... :88)

Xantrokoles 07-06-08 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skawasjer
  • Renamed 'Insert new chunk' to 'Append new chunk'.

This killed me now several times:rotfl:
You know, you are buzzing for yourself:

mhmmm >copy< mhm >paste< mhmmmm>very good, OK, now< mhmm >Insert new chunk< ????HUUUUUUU????? >Where is it???<

And then you get it... ahhh append new chunk:damn:

Come on, admit it. You just wanna annoy me with this change:rotfl:

skwasjer 07-06-08 06:13 PM

:rotfl:

I warned you in advance: read the changelog. You even had 30 minutes to do so... :smug:

But I can make a sport of it. Next time I can call it Inject after this chunk

And the model preview, Mesh viewer

The cut/copy/paste buttons are pretty much the funniest ones though. I can't remember how long they have been there, but I just can't seem to put myself to add the functionality. And when I do, noone will ever use them because they think they don't work anyway :rotfl:

Xantrokoles 07-06-08 06:23 PM

I read it two times for understanding all!
But the consuetude is stronger than my Brain sometimes:yep:

Oh But I personally love the 'Buttons' .
Until I have clicked on them, I hit 7 time ctrl-v, ctrl-x or ctrl-x:lol: