SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] S3D - Silent 3ditor (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119571)

tater 08-22-07 11:46 PM

Part is just the user understanding more. I'm on the clueless end of your user base, so if I can grok it, then you're doing a good job.

So far this is just an amazing tool, even for someone as clueless about it as I am.

tater

SquareSteelBar 08-23-07 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skwasjer
About the .sdl file, yea, I will probably implement this in the future. It does not have the same file structure (it's easier actually), and therefor I can't support it right now in the current UI. But yea, sometime.

Thanks for reply :up:

Quote:

I hope to add a help file too some time.
I didn't need a help file yet. Your tool currently explains itself. :know:

Cool job, mate!

SquareSteelBar

UBOAT234 08-27-07 11:25 AM

...moin,
We are waiting anxious to hear your great software/make/instructions for import/export 3D model...:rock:

leovampire 08-27-07 06:56 PM

skwasjer I have a problem I need you to look at

in the particles file dealing with smoke effects. It is doing the same thing it was doing with the lightning. When I adjust colors and other stuff with minitweeker and then work with other effects in S3D and then save it over writes the color effects and some other stuff that I did with the mini tweeker. So the only way I can get the color effects in place is to make adjustments with S3D first then save then go to mini tweeker and adjust the colors then use it.

Plus on some of the smoke effects not all of the adjustable figures show up in S3D that are available using the Big Smoke mini tweeker file for the Bitmapparticles.

skwasjer 08-27-07 08:41 PM

If you send me files, I'll have a look.

The version currently under work will support every property of bitmapparticles.

3D model support will be coming after the next release. I haven't had much time the past weeks, so all will take a bit longer. Just hang in...

leovampire 08-27-07 08:57 PM

skwasjer

what files would you like me to send to you?

tater 08-27-07 09:15 PM

My wife will probably hate me when you get the 3D stuff in, lol.

Course she's pretty 3d herself, so she can always get my attention ;)

tater

skwasjer 08-28-07 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leovampire
what files would you like me to send to you?

The (modified) files giving you the problems...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tater
My wife will probably hate me when you get the 3D stuff in, lol.

Course she's pretty 3d herself, so she can always get my attention ;)

lol

I know my wife sometimes hates me or my computers yea. Own business and side programming projects take up 70-80 hours a day at peaks... :x Luckily, I try to keep weekends off...

WilhelmTell 08-28-07 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leovampire
in the particles file dealing with smoke effects. It is doing the same thing it was doing with the lightning. When I adjust colors and other stuff with minitweeker and then work with other effects in S3D and then save it over writes the color effects and some other stuff that I did with the mini tweeker. So the only way I can get the color effects in place is to make adjustments with S3D first then save then go to mini tweeker and adjust the colors then use it.

Plus on some of the smoke effects not all of the adjustable figures show up in S3D that are available using the Big Smoke mini tweeker file for the Bitmapparticles.

This is why I had the problem to merge my mod with yours, Leo. Now you know what I mean I think.:)
Hopefully Skwasjer can solve this.
Keep up the good work Leo and Skwasjer, you are doing an outstanding job !:up:

leovampire 08-28-07 01:35 PM

sorry it took me so long to reply skwasjer

some idiot hit a telephone pole and we were without power until a minute ago. Will send you the file now.

skwasjer 08-28-07 02:35 PM

About the 'bug', keep in mind if you use S3D to save a file, it makes changes to the file so that old tweakfiles (compatible with stock/patch) are no longer valid in most cases. This is by design/on purpose. Changing a name, label, inserting or removing a node, etc., etc. all affect tweakfiles, which is why I built something in to prevent any tweakfile to be compatible (although it doesn't always work). This is not something to ban minitweaker. Firstly, it was a way to identify that changes to a file was made with S3D. Secondly, it was a way to prevent questions like these... Unfortunately, I failed here :)

As far as uneditable or strangely detected properties, again, the upcoming version will fix most if not all issues here.

So, I don't recommend (and I have stated this in my first post) mixing S3D with minitweaker. It can give you problems and headaches, and it shows. A new version hopefully will be available in a week, I'll do my best.

leovampire 08-28-07 02:44 PM

Okay in mini tweeker you can adjust colors of smoke

but with S3D you can not. But if I adjust the color values of let's say smoke for example and then adjust other values with S3D and then do a save it returns the color changes I made back to stock values and over writes the changes I made with the mini tweeker originaly.

I don't have the tallent yet to remove chunkes and change things then put them back in. All I do is manipulate what is already available in the game. So I only work with value changes.

I think what is happening is the S3D dosn't know how to save the color values seeing it isn't set up for that type of work yet. So when you do a save of your value adjustments using S3D after mini tweeker adjustments it set's the color values to some guess value which creates a very strainge color chart for the smoke effects.
For example one of the dark orange colors if rechecked with mini tweeker turn to some light green color on the color chart.

skwasjer 08-28-07 03:48 PM

Unknown data is written back unmodified. S3D is not dropping or inserting random data anywhere.

What is happening is what I described. You open a S3D saved file in minitweaker, but minitweaker now shows incorrect data because the file is written by S3D with all new data offsets. This doesn't mean the data in the file is incorrect, it means the tweak file uses absolute offsets and now reads from an incorrect location. The game doesn't mind, S3D doesn't mind, just minitweaker.

[edit]A way around this is to redo the tweak file based on the S3D saved file.
  1. Open a file in S3D
  2. Save it
  3. Open it again
  4. Adjust the tweakfile with offsets S3D tells you.
Now you have a tweakfile compatible with S3D files and can edit it both in S3D and minitweaker in any order, as long as you DON'T change variable length data (strings) and/or insert or remove data/chunks, replace textures etc. Please note that with model support, this will get even more problematic...
[/edit]

leovampire 08-28-07 04:02 PM

okay cool skwasjer

I will figure out a way around everything between the changes in save's. Thanks for looking into it.

skwasjer 08-28-07 04:15 PM

Thanks for your feedback, samples and time :up: These problems will go away soon :)