SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   What are you reading right now? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=94071)

blue3golf 06-09-06 11:58 PM

"The Cold War", a compilation of works from writers such as Stephen Ambrose. Many others that were actively involved, can't remember the names and don't have book with mne at this time.

bradclark1 06-10-06 02:13 PM

Quote:

Here's one I've had for a while but still haven't read: Psychological Factors In Submarine Warfare, by the US Navy Department.
I can't imagine why.:D

Deadeye313 06-11-06 05:49 PM

I just finished "Rise To Victory" By R. Cameron Cooke. I like the book and was amazed than a Los Angeles class sub can't detect a type 214 further than a mile out. I mean, they must have better sensors than that.

Anyone recommend any other modern day submarine or surface books? I like to read about how the equipment is really suppose to work and Cooke did a good job of keeping the technical stuff to a minimum (Not that I mind it). If there was something I didn't like: The rescue of the away team was too much like the rescue of that group on Iceland in Red Storm Rising.

I've already read Red Storm Rising and loved the ASW and Navy parts. I don't feel like reading Hunt for the Red October, because I love the movie. I think it's the best submarine movie I've watch. I don't think something like Crimson Tide will ever happen. People are too cautious and lines are too secure for there to be any reason to not get confirmation to launch balistic missiles.

anyway, any other good modern day Navy novels?

Nexus7 06-19-06 07:48 AM

Just finished reading P.Robinson "Seawolf class". Quite a lot of action in it, and an ending I'd never have expected...

Next book is "Nimitz class" by T.Clancy

lesrae 06-19-06 11:52 PM

I'm working my way through C. Northcote Parkinson's 'Richard Delancy' series of novels on Napoleonic naval warfare, it's a bit like C S Forster stuff.

Khayman 06-20-06 04:07 AM

Read my three books. "Donitz: The Last Fuhrer" by Peter Padfield is certainly one that got me thinking. The author makes a lot of claims he doesn't sufficiently back up, but he throws enough mud that some sticks.

Right now though I'm taking a break from U-boats. Started re-reading Clay Blairs "Silent Victory". I promised I wouldn't as it may make me yearn for SH4, but I couldn't resist.

STEED 06-20-06 05:19 AM

Re reading The last year of the Kriegsmarine May 44 - May 45

By V.E. Tarrant

JohnnyBlaze 06-21-06 05:56 PM

suggestions?

Hey guys!

I'm thinking about buying a book or two about U boats.

Never actually read any books about Uboats so where should I start?

Any suggestions? Anyways I've already ordered the U boat commanders handbook, "Convoy" and "Torpedo Junction".

What do you guys think of those books?

Thanks,

Johnny

Khayman 06-22-06 04:16 AM

I'd recommend both the Clay Blair books, "Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunters" and "Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunted". For more personal stories then "Iron Coffins" by Herbert Werner , "Hirschfeld: The Secret Diary of a U-Boat" by Wolfgang Hirschfeld and "U-Boat Killer" by Donald Macintyre. Also the Micheal Gannon books are well worth a read, both "Black May" and "Operation Drumbeat".

That should be enough to be getting on with for now:D

scandium 06-28-06 01:55 AM

Just finished "The Sum of All Fears" by Tom Clancy... reading "Master & Commander" now, which is ... different (set in the late 18th century).

Linton 06-28-06 05:16 PM

I am reading Razor's Edge by Hugh Bicheno.It is an alternative view of he Falklands War.I thoroughly recommend it.The author is a former UK intelligence officer

Raedwulf 06-29-06 03:53 PM

I've been laying submerged for a long while

Recently 2 books have come into my possession;
Corvettes of the Royal Canadian Navy 1939-1945, probably the bible if interested in the Flower Class Corvette
The Corvette Navy

I picked these books up as references, I recently purchased a scale model of HMCS Snowberry, going to build the HMCS Calgary, might have to settle for the Sackville, the very last Flower in existence

JohnnyBlaze 06-30-06 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khayman
I'd recommend both the Clay Blair books, "Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunters" and "Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunted". That should be enough to be getting on with for now:D

Thanks Khayman, I'm possibly going to order those two books next. Of course only after I've read the ones I've allready ordered.

Hmm.. The place I ordered the books didnt have the commanders handbook..
Do you happen to know by any chance where to get that book? The closer to Finland, the better.

thanks

Kaleun 07-04-06 05:21 AM

I'm reading Clay Blair Jr's : Silent Victory, the US Submarine war against Japan. To bulk up my sub knowledge of the Pacific War

jumpy 07-04-06 06:09 AM

'The Forgotten Soldier' by Guy Sajer.
linky

Quote:

Synopsis
This is the horror of World War II on the Eastern Front, as seen through the eyes of a teenaged German soldier. At first an exciting adventure, young Guy Sajer's war becomes, as the German invasion falters in the icy vastness of the Ukraine, a simple, desperate struggle for survival against cold, hunger, and above all the terrifying Soviet artillery. As a member of the elite Gross Deutschland Division, he fought in all the great battles, from Kursk to Kharkov. Sajer's German footsoldier's perspective make The Forgotten Soldier a unique war memoir, the book that the Christian Science Monitor said "may well be the book about World War II which has been so long awaited." Now it has been handsomely republished as a hardcover containing fifty rare German combat photos of life and death at the Eastern Front. The photos of troops battling through snow, mud,burned villages, and rubble-strewn cities depict the hardships and destructiveness of war. Many are originally from the private collections of German soldiers and have never been published before.