SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Subsim Events & Activities (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Silent Hunter Online Captain's Exam (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=213579)

Onkel Neal 06-05-14 08:21 AM

New question:

Look around you now...take note of the objects within arm's reach...

...now, describe how you would use one of those objects in a torpedo attack on a freighter.

Best 5 stories in the next 10 posts will win a code.

Snarf 06-05-14 12:10 PM

I would use this computer in front of me to look up a manual TDC tutorial on Subsim.com :know:

McBob 06-06-14 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 2213875)
Nope, nope...

Hint: the series was not a naval-oriented show.... just a silly comedy series that happened to have a submarine show up in a single episode.

There was a 60s sitcom called 'The Lucy Show' that had one episode called 'Lucy and the Submarine'. However the screenshot does not look like it. Surely there can't be two 60s sitcoms that had one episode based around a submarine

Onkel Neal 06-06-14 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snarf (Post 2213935)
I would use this computer in front of me to look up a manual TDC tutorial on Subsim.com :know:

That's a good one :)

I still need a few more skippers to weigh in... anyone else have some ideas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBob (Post 2214258)
There was a 60s sitcom called 'The Lucy Show' that had one episode called 'Lucy and the Submarine'. However the screenshot does not look like it. Surely there can't be two 60s sitcoms that had one episode based around a submarine

Nice, but it's not that show....:know:

Dronston 06-07-14 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 2213878)
New question:

Look around you now...take note of the objects within arm's reach...

...now, describe how you would use one of those objects in a torpedo attack on a freighter.

Best 5 stories in the next 10 posts will win a code.

I have a jar full of spare change on my desk (where my pc is at).
I would surface at night, load the deck gun with a blank, stuff the barrel full off coins and aim it at the freighter and shoot the cannon and immediately dive to periscope depth. The deck would be full of coins and the crew of the freighter would scramble to take as many coins as they can since war pay is not making any one rich, thus leaving their posts. This would give me the opportunity to get in position and fire an eel.

Now the fantasy part in my brain hurts...:woot:

BobRoyall 06-07-14 09:09 AM

Hogan's Heros may be the sitcom.

Submerged Viking 06-07-14 09:14 AM

The question is unfair since I only have my TV remote within arms reach. Suppose I can use it to jam the rudder of a freighter and steer it into an iceberg. That's a winner!

Admiral Halsey 06-07-14 09:26 AM

I would show them my computer and Silent Hunter three thus causing them to get lost in virtual u-boats and never wanting to do the real thing again.

Maverik010 06-07-14 10:38 AM

Chess. i would be checkmating them till they sunk.

Fizwalker 06-07-14 11:00 AM

Hmmm.... I have a corkscrew and a few empty beer bottles.

Picture this if you will. It's a inky black night, I've been shadowing this freighter all day and my deck gun is out and cannot be fixed.... I've used all my torpedoes so I pull along side my target. Being truly sneaky, we scramble up the side of the freighter and quietly kill the crew, one by one by stabbing them to death with the cork screw and smashing beer bottles over their heads. However, we cannot just open the sea-cocks and slip away. So I raid the captain's cabin of the freighter and take a few bottles of his best wine. Thus souvenirs in hand, we scuttle the freighter and escape!

Dronston 06-07-14 11:04 AM

The 4 guys above me didn't read the question right -->
Quote:

now, describe how you would use one of those objects in a torpedo attack on a freighter.

:arrgh!:

Valiant 06-07-14 11:21 AM

Greetings

Valiant out...

Miggy4000 06-07-14 11:30 AM

Mood Music

As I have my computer right in front of me, its hard drive has the full Das Boot OST saved on it, so I'd stick this on the virtual gramaphone for the torpedo run! :salute:

Alveric 06-07-14 11:36 AM

Well, I have lots of pens, pencils, an eraser, rulers and protractor. Assuming I'm on the surface I can even use my 400mm telephoto lens and camera :p. Guess I've everything I need to plot a firing solution. Now, if only I could remember enough trigonometry....:hmmm:

vahadar 06-07-14 12:47 PM

I tried the beta as you are able to do it now and i have to say it is very arcadish... like the stock SH5 was (sh5 was worse^^), so i'm going back to my modded SH4 i guess :)
The poor realism settings arent for me :)