SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Deck Gun Ammo ? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=105285)

Vader 1 02-06-07 10:45 PM

Deck Gun Ammo ?

I took a look but could find any answers so I hope someone can help.

I run SH3, 1.4b patch, and NYGM 2.2.

I am using the deck gun to finish off small ships but can't seem to select AP rounds.
My weapons allotment show 40+ rounds but I can't seem to select them and the crew just use HE round.

Any thoughts

Vader

Mush Martin 02-06-07 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vader 1
I took a look but could find any answers so I hope someone can help.

I run SH3, 1.4b patch, and NYGM 2.2.

I am using the deck gun to finish off small ships but can't seem to select AP rounds.
My weapons allotment show 40+ rounds but I can't seem to select them and the crew just use HE round.

Any thoughts

Vader

I dont use NYGM have you done any other tweaking??

DrMilton 02-06-07 11:04 PM

You mean with the deck gun manned, you click on the AP icon bottom right and nothing happens? I can't say that I've seen that so far.

Vader 1 02-06-07 11:57 PM

No changes to files at all.

I went back and rechecked something..I was trying to load 20m AP rounds lol.

When I rechecked my weapons load out I saw the AP but didn't check it closely and missed the 20mm.....

How do I get AP rounds for the 88mm gun ?

Thanks in advance sorry for mixup
Vader

jasonsagert 02-07-07 04:22 AM

I've found this same issue using the GWX mod as well. As I don't use my deck gun that much, I just let it go--but I only EVER have HE rounds for any deck gun (88 or 10.5). Maybe AP rounds for the deck gun isn't realistic?

J

Edit: My poor grammar.

Abd_von_Mumit 02-07-07 04:49 AM

Thje rason for no choice of ammo would be probably the same as in GWX:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann
In GWX... you get HE ammo only for your deck gun. Deep research indicates that the only type of ammo carried by the U-boats for the DG was HE. No starshells... No armor piercing.

Source: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=102398

But if you wish to change your stored ammo, you could do it by modyfying file:
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\Data\Cfg\basic.cfg
and reediting the lines:
Code:

[AMMO_TYPE0];10.5cm SK C/32
Idx=0
Year=1939
Month=1
AP=40
HE=80
SS=0
;AP=0
;HE=110
;SS=0
Renown=0

[AMMO_TYPE1];8.8cm SK C/35
Idx=1
Year=1939
Month=1
AP=0
HE=240
SS=0
;AP=0
;HE=220
;SS=0
Renown=0

Hints:
1. Keep the total number of 'cans' equal to that from before.
2. Keep the nuimber of shells in one 'can' equal to that from before.
3. Keep the number of shells of a kind in a number that is dividable by the number of shells that fit in one can (i.e. if there are 40 shells in 1 can, it's best to set them total as 40, 80, 120 or 160, not 90 nor 30).

Jimbuna 02-07-07 07:22 AM

AP is not realistic :nope: If you must change the amounts in the Basic Cfg file then don't forget to edit the 'Max Ammo Per Slot' amonts to match your earlier changes as well....just as a precaution :yep:

AVGWarhawk 02-07-07 08:45 AM

The GWX mod takes out this ammo all together along with starshells. As stated above, the uboat had none. Including the AP. I forget who asked it but what would a U-boat need starshells for anyway? Gee Cappy, I cannot see the convoy, OK, fire off some starshells so we can see what's happening. Would'nt that be something with a few DD around....hello, we are over here but that is ok because we see you also:o

I like my HE with GWX. They are effective and the big boom gets Bernard excited.

Mush Martin 02-07-07 10:44 AM

additonally

Quote:

No changes to files at all.

I went back and rechecked something..I was trying to load 20m AP rounds lol.

When I rechecked my weapons load out I saw the AP but didn't check it closely and missed the 20mm.....

How do I get AP rounds for the 88mm gun ?

Thanks in advance sorry for mixup
Vader

Specifically for GWX the team disabled ammo availability in the menu as well
which is why you see no Icons when your in the gun screen in order
to make it avaialable you would have to make it available in menu cfg

will pm details after work/.
MM

Mush Martin 02-07-07 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
The GWX mod takes out this ammo all together along with starshells. As stated above, the uboat had none. Including the AP. I forget who asked it but what would a U-boat need starshells for anyway? Gee Cappy, I cannot see the convoy, OK, fire off some starshells so we can see what's happening. Would'nt that be something with a few DD around....hello, we are over here but that is ok because we see you also:o

I like my HE with GWX. They are effective and the big boom gets Bernard excited.

There useful for Suface engagements at night against indidual ships.

bigboywooly 02-07-07 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mush Martin
Quote:

Yeah maybe but as they didnt carry them you dont get them
Be like driving about in a Ucruiser
:rotfl:

Mush Martin 02-07-07 07:45 PM

I believe you are ridiculing me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigboywooly
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mush Martin
Quote:

Yeah maybe but as they didnt carry them you dont get them
Be like driving about in a Ucruiser
:rotfl:

I smack thee wiith a wet halibut. (SMACK)
:|\\mm

Vader 1 02-07-07 11:16 PM

Thanks gents for all the info and help.

I am an old SH2 sub driver from day one and while I have followed SH3 since day one it wasn't until only recently when I bought a new rig that I could actually play the game.

I enjoy a realistic game experience so I am all good with having no AP rounds.

Just a small followup ? the "Aim at hull" and "aim at water line" are basically useless commands as the HE round don't effect the hull but only the cargo,command structure etc...is this correct?

Thanks in advance
Vader

Mush Martin 02-08-07 04:08 AM

Quote:

I am an old SH2 sub driver from day one and while I have followed SH3 since day one it wasn't until only recently when I bought a new rig that I could actually play the game.

Just a small followup ? the "Aim at hull" and "aim at water line" are basically useless commands as the HE round don't effect the hull but only the cargo,command structure etc...is this correct?

Thanks in advance
Vader

the general advice is that aim for waterline is the most effective means
of sinking.
MM

Jimbuna 02-08-07 05:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Vader

Aim just below the waterline in various places along the hull to initiate flooding in numerous compartments. The ships sink due to 'flooding' now :arrgh!: