SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Strange problems with my hard disk (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=153984)

Loud_Silence 07-20-09 08:22 AM

Strange problems with my hard disk

This morning I started my XAMPP to fix some web pages i'm making for practice. But while opening the main XAMPP page on the browser Apache crashed with a “send report” window.

Then I passed checkdisk on C and it found some errors. I passed it a few days before, when I rearranged my PC case, and it didn't found any problems.

I set a checkdisk scan after rebooting to fix the errors. It finished after about half an hour and restarted. A message told me that there were no more errors on the disk and I started windows, but when i passed a read-only checkdisk again it found more errors.

I've been all the morning defragmenting and passing more checkdisks, but it always finds some errors. Maybe the file system table is messed up badly, but if it's a serious physical problem, then i'm screwed up. But i've checked the other partitions on the disk and they are fine...
Sometimes, checkdisk doesn't find any errors, but it says at the end of the line "fixing errors on the volume bit map; windows found problems with the file system" (I use the spanish version of windows so i don't know if thats exactly how the message is on the english version)

I'm thinking about making a deep format on C and reinstall everything, but i'm not sure that would work. I'm also worried about the windows installer finding another error on the partition and not allowing me to install it. I don't have enough money for a new hard disk, not even a small one to just install windows on.

What can i do? What do you think? Please, I need help. Thank you

-Sorry for the bad english

Arclight 07-20-09 10:17 AM

Does the drive support s.m.a.r.t.?

It can give you an indication of it's health, but I think it has to have been monitoring the drive from the start to give an accurate result.

To be honest, I think you should get a new drive before this one dies (how old is it anyway?). Those errors appear for a reason; reformat and reïnstall might fix it for now, but I think it won't be long before those errors reappear. :hmmm:

Loud_Silence 07-20-09 10:47 AM

This is strange. When i run CHKDSK while booting, it doesn't find any errors. But when I run it inside Windows, it always finds an error on a file called "sessionstore.js". Curious because that file is from Firefox, and its Ok, no errors on it...
Maybe when Apache crashed Firefox was writing something on that file...
But as always... WHY THE F:oCK MY COMPUTER CAN'T HAVE NORMAL PROBLEMS!?!?!

By the way, my hard drive is almost two years old.

Loud_Silence 07-21-09 12:16 PM

I don't find problems anymore, but the reallocation counter on S.M.A.R.T. was 2 and now its 3...

Arclight 07-21-09 02:04 PM

Can't say I have too much experience with those kind of problems, nor with Firefox or Apache for that matter. If it checks out now, I guess it's fine, though you may want to keep an eye on it.

Some programs give you an overall "health" and "performance" SMART read-out for a drive. PC Wizard, for example. If you see those decreasing, or they're already low, you may want to start working towards replacing the drive. 2 years isn't that old, but you never know. :hmmm:

SUBMAN1 07-21-09 09:35 PM

Simple solution - install Linux. :D You are running Linux apps anyway.

-S