SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [TEC] Silent 3ditor error (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=254747)

SwissSubCommander 02-12-23 04:28 PM

Silent 3ditor error

Hi everyone
So I tried to edit the conning tower of an american sub, I exported via silent 3ditor and edited the obj. with blender.
I made sure to check the "triangulate mesh" option and followed all other advice given to this point. But when I try to import the edited obj. file I get an error saying "unexpected token encountered".
Any help? :hmmm:

propbeanie 02-14-23 02:07 PM

Check the export settings in your 3D software. Open another SH4 model, and export it. Open it in you 3D software, and note the orientation of the 3D artwork. In Blender export dialog under the Includes, you also need to click on the Material Groups. I do not know any other 3D software... in fact, I don't really know Blender, only what others have told me... lol - good luck! :salute:

jimimadrid 02-14-23 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissSubCommander (Post 2852695)
Hi everyone
So I tried to edit the conning tower of an american sub, I exported via silent 3ditor and edited the obj. with blender.
I made sure to check the "triangulate mesh" option and followed all other advice given to this point. But when I try to import the edited obj. file I get an error saying "unexpected token encountered".
Any help? :hmmm:

The best way will be to check manually if all mesh are triangles.
This is what i do changing the torpedos in blender.

iambecomelife 02-14-23 03:59 PM

Did you make sure all the polygons have texture coordinates? In my experience if even one poly is untextured, Silent 3d Editor refuses to accept it. Even though a model may have originally been textured sometimes S3d "thinks" it is not totally textured if you make changes altering the poly count.

Also, did you make sure that the object is about 29,000 polys or less? When polys for a unit hull approach 30,000 for units, they often will crash Silent 3d editor. I get around this limitation by subdividing each of my ship models into several parts which are each about 29,000 polys. As long as each sub component (hull, conning tower, superstructure) is under 30,000 polygons the importer works fine.

Lastly, are you checking to see if your rendering program automatically adds faces to the object? This is a rare/annoying issue that sometimes crops up with Silent 3d editor and modeling programs; the only solution is to delete several adjacent polygons until the model is accepted.

SwissSubCommander 02-16-23 05:41 AM

Thanks everyone for the help, especially you iambecomelife. :Kaleun_Salute:
I still have not figured out how to add newly created surfaces to the existing texture map of the model. :hmmm:

iambecomelife 02-17-23 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissSubCommander (Post 2853249)
Thanks everyone for the help, especially you iambecomelife. :Kaleun_Salute:
I still have not figured out how to add newly created surfaces to the existing texture map of the model. :hmmm:

Would you mind sending the files to me? You have me curious. I think I can resolve it.

Also, have you ever tried using Wings3d for modeling? It's simple, free, and I have never had texture mapping problems with it (aside from when I make mistakes).

SwissSubCommander 02-18-23 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iambecomelife (Post 2853574)
(aside from when I make mistakes).

Its all my mistakes :O:
I am just learning how to do all of this :doh:
I will gladly send you the files, as soon as I finished it