SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Issues with VERY frequent crashing (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=254653)

Audiomannen 02-01-23 03:44 PM

Issues with VERY frequent crashing

Hello commanders!

I'm having some major issues with Silent Hunter 3, where there are multiple instances where my game just crashes. I have searched the forum and browsed the web for a solution. No matter what i try, nothing seems to work, so have to try asking directly on the forums.

For information, my copy of Silent Hunter 3 is from steam with GWX (None of the alternaltive GWX mods are activated in JSGME), the 4gb patch and mousesense.

My issues are:
The game sometimes crashes when i am loading a campaign save state. This seems to happen mostly when i am off the coast of America. If the latest save crashes, every save in the same mission serves the same fate regardless if i'm in the middle of hunting or cruising on the surface. Only way i have fount that "fixes" it is to load the save in harbour, reverting all my progress.

There is another instance that has arisen just recently. This time the game crashes seemingly when i enter the spawn range of a large convoy, off the coast of Canada. This makes me suspect there is an asset that fails to load which doesn't make that much sense considering i just reinstalled the game with all the mods, it should be a completely fresh installation. The only thing that is carried over is my save state.

I would appreciate any and all help i can get. As annoying as these problems are, i still really enjoy the game.

blackswan40 02-01-23 04:34 PM

Hi Audiomannen A very warm welcome to Subsim i've sent you a PM that should get you squared away Sir

At Subsim the Pride Runs Deep We Look After Our Own :Kaleun_Salute:

Aktungbby 02-05-23 03:10 PM

Welcome aboard!

Audiomannen!:Kaleun_Salute:

Audiomannen 02-06-23 04:08 AM

Issue solved?

Hello again, replying to my own thread for an update on the matter.

Blackswan40 was kind enough to provide a copy of Silent Hunter 3 from a dvd installation.:Kaleun_Cheers:
At first i had some issues with this too, mainly Windows Defender purging the sh3.exe file. My game still crashed when approaching the convoy i mentioned, but after reverting the save i havent crashed once.

I think that steam's version doesn't get along with my computer. Thanks again Blackswan40, you helped a lot! :Kaleun_Salute:

blackswan40 02-06-23 04:30 PM

Hi Audiomannen i'm glad your all sorted now theres nothing better than finding a large convoy when you do a sonar sweep and your first four eels hit four big juicy tankers good luck and good hunting

:Kaleun_Salute: blackswan40