SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

Macgregor the Hammer 03-11-21 04:50 PM

I've run into a strange problem. I did a clean install of SH5 and used the TWoS 2.2.3 full expansion. 2.2.23 installed flawlessly. Everything was running well. I was going to play today and Steam/Ubi is launching the unmodded version of the game.

I tried swapping out the sh5.exe with a DVD version I found. No help. I kinda had a feeling this was going to happen.

Any input on how to resolve this would be most welcome.

Thanks,
MacGregor

Mad Mardigan 03-11-21 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer (Post 2735549)
I've run into a strange problem. I did a clean install of SH5 and used the TWoS 2.2.3 full expansion. 2.2.23 installed flawlessly. Everything was running well. I was going to play today and Steam/Ubi is launching the unmodded version of the game.

I tried swapping out the sh5.exe with a DVD version I found. No help. I kinda had a feeling this was going to happen.

Thanks,
MacGregor

With Ubi Connect, as it is now called (formerly Uplay) did you go into settings & put it:

1. To sleep (meaning tell it to stay offline completely)

2. Tell it to NOT to update anything...???

These are 2 things I seem to recall being mentioned.. to ensure... so as to avoid any chance of Ubi screwing things up with regards to SH5.

M. M.

:Kaleun_Salute:

vdr1981 03-11-21 07:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
MacGregor

It must be that you have missed your main SH5 install folder (sh5.exe location) while installing TWoS. I can not see any other reason...:hmmm:

https://i.postimg.cc/8cKZ4gTC/Untitled.jpg

Macgregor the Hammer 03-11-21 09:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
MacGregor

It so turns out I missed a step. I thought I changed the desk top shortcut to point directly to the sh5 executable. Instead, it was asking Steam to launch the game. Deleted shortcut, created the correct one-- that problem solved.

The other item was going to Ubi (the mothership) and log out completely. I'm up and running.

Thanks for the input. Should have done the troubleshooting before I posted. :doh::o

vdr1981 03-12-21 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muckenberg (Post 2733699)
Thank you for answer.
At what time period would you like the composition of the French fleet in the Mediterranean?
I could look in my books and write the different types and names of French ships.
Would November 1942, for example, suffice?

Which French units would you like to see in Tulon and when? Date spans?

Muckenberg 03-13-21 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2735622)
Which French units would you like to see in Tulon and when? Date spans?

Good day
Thank you very much for your interest in this small game discrepancy.
If we take into account only the port of Toulon, there were ships of the "Forces of the High Sea". The fleet consisted of:
Battleships "Provence", "Ocean", "Concordet".
Battlecruisers "Strasbourg", "Dunkirk"
Heavy cruisers "Algeria", "Colbert", "Dupleix", "Foch".
Light cruisers "Jean de Vienne", "Marsellaise", "La Galissonieére".
There were also units of large, small destroyers and several submarines. I will not discuss these here.
There were also a large number of smaller warships (minesweepers, submarine fighters, etc.).
Some sources state that Dukerque-class ships are listed as battleships.
This composition is valid until November 1942, when the fleet self-sunk.
Then there is the question of what to do with other French colonial ports. Casablanca, Oran, Dakar, etc.
To the question of what date. In my opinion, the best date would be November 1942. There were certainly no major changes to French warships in ports. Although we must take into account that Dunkirk sailed to Toulon for the necessary repairs in February 1942.
I hope I helped a little. :Kaleun_Salute:

vdr1981 03-13-21 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muckenberg (Post 2735873)
Good day
If we take into account only the port of Toulon, there were ships of the "Forces of the High Sea". The fleet consisted of:
There were also units of large, small destroyers and several submarines. I will not discuss these here.
There were also a large number of smaller warships (minesweepers, submarine fighters, etc.).
Then there is the question of what to do with other French colonial ports. Casablanca, Oran, Dakar, etc.
To the question of what date. In my opinion, the best date would be November 1942. There were certainly no major changes to French warships in ports. Although we must take into account that Dunkirk sailed to Toulon for the necessary repairs in February 1942.

You are aware that we only have two french battleships(Bretagne and Strasbourg) and couple of destroyers in the game? Would it be sufficient to dock them in Toulon harbour until november 1942?

Muckenberg 03-13-21 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2735906)
You are aware that we only have two french battleships(Bretagne and Strasbourg) and couple of destroyers in the game? Would it be sufficient to dock them in Toulon harbour until november 1942?

Good day
Yes, I am aware of the ship restrictions that TWoS offers us. Yes, I think that your solution will be as close as possible to historical fidelity. Thank you very much for editing the game :)

gap 03-14-21 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muckenberg (Post 2735873)
Good day

Off the classes that the warships you have mentioned belonged to, only the Suffren class is missing from my collection of 3D models. The ones I have are:

Battleships: Bretagne class (Bretagne and Lorraine), Courbet class (Coubert), Danton-class (Turenne)
Battlecruisers: Dunkerque class (Dunkerque)
Heavy cruisers: Algérie
Light cruisers: La Galissonnière class (La Galissonnière)

Most of them are from World of Warhsips (not ripped but published by the 3D artist who modelled them). I doubt we will ever get a permission to use them in another game (evef if only a free mod), but for sure they will provide an excellent template for creating our own models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2735906)

You could add the above ship classes to the game as "proxy copies" of similar ships that are already in game, and with the time we could replace them with proper models. If the same class name, unit type, etc. is used for the proxy units and for their proper replacement, no campaign file change / campaign restart would be required for swithcing from the ones to the others :yep:

U-190 03-14-21 09:10 AM

To be honest, I got confused about the TWOS threads on our forum.

TDW_GenericPatcher_v_1_0_168_0 - what function does this patcher perform? What needs to be patched? :o

vdr1981 03-14-21 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by U-190 (Post 2736102)
To be honest, I got confused about the TWOS threads on our forum.

TDW_GenericPatcher_v_1_0_168_0 - what function does this patcher perform? What needs to be patched? :o

In short, a LOT of essential game bug fixes and improvements on hardcore level. Without it, SH5 is still very much broken, despite the regular mods...

U-190 03-14-21 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2736134)
In short, a LOT of essential game bug fixes and improvements on hardcore level. Without it, SH5 is still very much broken, despite the regular mods...

Understood, thank you.
vdr1981 - You the Best of The Best! :up: :yeah: :subsim:

longdog499 03-14-21 07:07 PM

silentotto

Does the silentotto option work with The Wolves of Steel mod?

les green01 03-14-21 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longdog499 (Post 2736297)
Does the silentotto option work with The Wolves of Steel mod?

yes it does

longdog499 03-15-21 04:01 AM

Ok Thanks.