SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

palmic 08-18-17 03:42 PM

:up: This is the best ever sub sim anyway :arrgh!:

fitzcarraldo 08-18-17 03:48 PM

Waiting 2.06! Great!

Thanks Vecko!

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

THEBERBSTER 08-18-17 05:21 PM

Hi Vecko
More orders to the crew is most welcome.
It is very easy to be static and just press icons.
Interacting and having to move to speak to a particular officer for your order to be carried out makes the game more realistic.
For example having to go to the chief to order periscope depth or to surface would make the game more challenging than just pressing those convenient icons.
v2.06 is looking good, thank you for your hard work.
Peter

Muckenberg 08-18-17 11:10 PM

Nice Vecko, thank you verry much.

skin-nl 08-19-17 06:21 AM

Looks great Vecko :salute:

vdr1981 08-19-17 07:11 AM

OK here's the test version of new v2.0.6 update, feel free to check it it out untill this evening and if no problems are detected I'll upload the official version...:yep:

Quote:

v2.0.6
- Added TDW's bridge crew for AI submarines.
- AI Sub crew "anti-CTD" fixes and TWoS compatibility tweaks.
- Chief engineer, Watch officer and Hydrophone operator dialog menus enhanced with more dialog and command lines taken from very nice archer9's expansion of old MCCD mod. Now it is possible to control your U-Boat only trough interactions with your crew.
- New dialog commands optimized for the use with TWoS megamod, removed some of the unrealistic and redundant commands.
- Several tooltips tweaks which should enhance players GUI functionality awareness.
- If dive command is issued while player is still on the bridge, message will inform him that he needs to first enter the sub.
- Underwater HDR effects adjusted for slightly "colder" appearance.

mikaelanderlund 08-19-17 09:01 AM

"Added TDW's bridge crew for AI submarines" An amazing news!!! :Kaleun_Cheers:

Mikael :salute:

gap 08-19-17 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER (Post 2507101)
Hi Vecko
I would like to see less active officer icons with the Captain giving those orders directly to the Officers avatar.
This would give the player a sense of acting more like a real Captain would do with a greater sense of responsibility to his crew rather just pressing icons.
You as a Captain need to be constantly intouch with your officers.
I would also like to see a teleport link to the command room or some other way to get there.
Peter

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER (Post 2507287)
Hi Vecko
More orders to the crew is most welcome.
It is very easy to be static and just press icons.
Interacting and having to move to speak to a particular officer for your order to be carried out makes the game more realistic.
For example having to go to the chief to order periscope depth or to surface would make the game more challenging than just pressing those convenient icons.
v2.06 is looking good, thank you for your hard work.
Peter

Weren't U-boats equipped with telephones and voicepipes?

Some interesting readings on the subject:

http://rnsubs.co.uk/dits-bits/articl...oats/u889.html (6th paragraph):

Quote:

The hydroplanes were both electrically and hand operated. The steering was from the control room or the conning tower, the latter position being portable so that it could be taken on the bridge when running on the surface. Hand steering was done from the after torpedo compartment with voice pipe and telephone comms [U-889, Type IXC U-Boat].
http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570/U-...tishReport.htm (under chapter III, 'Communications' paragraph, item #89):

Quote:

Communication between the control positions and the tubes is by loud speaker telephone and voicepipe [U-570, Type VIIC U-Boat].
http://www.uxxx.altervista.org/alter...ansstation.pdf (third picture):

Quote:

In the picture below you can see the voice pipe in the top centre of the picture. This pipe came down from
the bridge [U-505, Type IXC U-Boat].
http://www.u-boatstory.co.uk/educati...cationpack.pdf (under the 'Who were U-534’s crew?' chapter, 10th paragraph):

Quote:

The chief engineer (leitender ingenieur)
communicated to all compartments via telephone
and voice pipe [U-540, Type IXC/40 U-Boat].
All in all, I think that all the U-boat compartments were conneceted through speaking tubes, anyway, supposing that the statement above is not true, had the commander been in a compartment not equipped with such a device, I think he would have normally dispatched his orders through low-rank crew, rather than having to walk to each officer's station.
For the reasons above, new commands by dialog are a welcome addition, but imho they cannot replace New-UI's officer's commands, unless we found a way to add interactive 3D voicepipes to each compartment that we can walk to and click on for issuing dialog-type orders :salute:

THEBERBSTER 08-19-17 12:26 PM

Hi gap
There will always be a need for some icons and I accept that.
Yes I agree with what you are saying regarding communication.
Being able to use the WO to pass orders to the Navigator,Chief and Radio operator is a usful chain of commands.

By adding more avatar crew commands it makes the game less static and IMO more interesting than just pressing icons.
Peter

gap 08-19-17 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER (Post 2507414)
Hi gap
There will always be a need for some icons and I accept that.
Yes I agree with what you are saying regarding communication.
Being able to use the WO to pass orders to the Navigator,Chief and Radio operator is a usful chain of commands.

By adding more avatar crew commands it makes the game less static and IMO more interesting than just pressing icons.
Peter

Indeed, interacting directly with officers when they are in front of our avatar can be more rewarding and make more sense; on the other hand, having to look for the CE before we can order a crash dive or silent running, would be totally senseless and it could potentially determine a premature campaign ending :yep:

wolfbaron 08-19-17 03:53 PM

testing 2.0.6 ! thanks vdr1981 !!

THEBERBSTER 08-19-17 04:11 PM

Hi gap
Quote:

on the other hand, having to look for the CE before we can order a crash dive or silent running, would be totally senseless and it could potentially determine a premature campaign ending :yep:
I wonder is sober did a risk assesement before actually implimenting this in his mega mod?:hmmm:
You can see all the order in his post#6
Peter

excel4004 08-19-17 04:16 PM

Question: My actuall campaign mission was to "Intercept convoy bound for England".
I Finished that one and recived an Enigma code which said that an "Important Convoy will pass through your location. Patrol the area and intercept it."

Iam patroling that area area about 3 days but still nothing happend. Between these 3 days i saved the game an reloaded the saved file.
Crashed that reloading my "on-going" mission to intercept the convoy, like its not allowed to save and restart a file when its about to patrol an area for 24 or 48 hours!??

Will the convoy ever been visible in the message box? :hmmm:

palmic 08-19-17 04:42 PM

My update of choice would be removing all UI showing me speed, depth and such a things to force me to look on gauges around :up:

It would force me to move myself to some relevant room (for instance there is compas at control room, sound engineer room and so..., there is speedometer in control room, machineraum and tower.....)
That would be realy nice. :salute:

vdr1981 08-19-17 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excel4004 (Post 2507455)
Question: My actuall campaign mission was to "Intercept convoy bound for England".
I Finished that one and recived an Enigma code which said that an "Important Convoy will pass through your location. Patrol the area and intercept it."

Iam patroling that area area about 3 days but still nothing happend. Between these 3 days i saved the game an reloaded the saved file.
Crashed that reloading my "on-going" mission to intercept the convoy, like its not allowed to save and restart a file when its about to patrol an area for 24 or 48 hours!??

Will the convoy ever been visible in the message box? :hmmm:

To be honest intercept convoy missions are a bit a mystery to me too... I usually ignore them and hunt "on my own data". I think that (technically) "intercept convoy and sunk xx ships" are, in general , pretty much the same like area patrols with adition of some tonnage requirements. Their patrol areas are generally larger (~500km or so) and can last up to five days.