SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=325)
-   -   Airbrush?? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=87730)

corvette k225 12-25-05 06:55 PM

Airbrush??

For all you guys that build models out there what type of airbrush do you
like? just got the Revell 1/72 scale U-Boat, just thinking what type of
airbrush to get. :oops: :oops:

Bill Nichols 12-25-05 08:58 PM

Re: Airbrush??

Quote:

Originally Posted by corvette k225
For all you guys that build models out there what type of airbrush do you
like? just got the Revell 1/72 scale U-Boat, just thinking what type of
airbrush to get. :oops: :oops:

I've used a Pasche for years and like a lot. Just got an Aztec on sale, but haven't tried it yet.

Pigfish 12-25-05 11:02 PM

As mention Paashe. Have had a Passche VL for 20+ years and has never let me down. :up:

zaza 12-26-05 08:43 AM

I use "gunze sagyo" (now called CGI creos)
PROCON BOY WA 0.3mm

It is W action. Easy to control air and paiting colar.
I recomend not single action but W action type. :up:

If you finish your work I want see!!!

Now I makeing I-400 1/700 and Uboat type7 1/700.
But I dont know when my making is finish....

corvette k225 12-26-05 11:03 PM

Thanks for the inputs, guys :D :D

U-snafu 12-09-06 06:24 PM

I just picked up a Badger #150--single & dual action-bottom feed. Anyone use this model in the past? any real cons with using this one??

Also, looking at getting a badger 180-10 diapraghm air-compresser tommorrow to go w/ it----any of the modelers here have any opinions on the pros and cons of this compresser??

Any comments or advice on the brush & compresser choice for using on ship modeling would be appreciated.

blue3golf 12-10-06 01:30 PM

I got an Aztek model A3205. Cheap and seems to do an alright job.

JSF 12-15-06 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by U-snafu
I just picked up a Badger #150--single & dual action-bottom feed. Anyone use this model in the past? any real cons with using this one??

Also, looking at getting a badger 180-10 diapraghm air-compresser tommorrow to go w/ it----any of the modelers here have any opinions on the pros and cons of this compresser??

Any comments or advice on the brush & compresser choice for using on ship modeling would be appreciated.

The Badger airbrush is a very good tool for what you are trying to do. However, if your budget allows for it I do suggest that you purchase additional brushes which have different size nozzles ( med and fine) with built in gravity feed cups.

Paint is another critical choice. Like someone else recommended I prefer Gunze and Tamiya. Both have very fine pigment and lay down nicely. Additionally they are safe to use in doors since they can be cut with water or alcohol and clean up afterwards is a breeze.

And, the diaphram compresser is a good choice as well. They are very quiet. There is a nipple adapter you can place on the compresser where the airline connects which will allow you to bleed off some of the air pressure. Two benefits here; 1) this lowers the temperature of the air entering your airbrush. The lower temp will illiminate water spitting from your brush because there will be NO condensation build-up. 2) Also, the lower pressure will allow you to maintain better control of the paint spray.

Look forward to seeing the final product!

U-snafu 12-16-06 08:52 AM

JSF,
Thank you for the tips-ecspecially the nipple adapter:up: . I got the compressor but no regulater or moisture trap yet.

Going to be a little on while on the finished product--I got a cheap 350 scale kit that I'm putting together to practise on my painting techniques --I can only imagine what the results will look like at first:/\\x:

JSF 12-16-06 10:27 AM

Keep in mind that as long as you use the nipple adapter you will not need the moistur trap. I will take a picture of mine and post it here for you to see. Its a very simple device. The moisture and heat are bled off before reaching the airbrush hose.

What kind of paint do you intend on using for your project?

U-snafu 12-16-06 11:34 AM

Didn't see the nipple adapter on the badger site--please do post a pic---is this something you can pick up at a hardware/home depot/tool store or is it something you got to order online??

I've got some cheap "Came" brand water based arcryillics from the local hobby store (to be used with the airbrush) that I am using on my practice kit. I plan on oredering Tamiya brand after the holidays for use on my 1:350 USS NC and 1:72 VIIC kits. (already got the kits and PE for those--just going to practice awhile on the cheap kits)

Driftwood 12-18-06 06:37 AM

Don't forget Iwata! I've been using a Pasche and recently picked up an Iwata. Finished the Trumpy 1/144 Gato with it and am very happy with the results. :up:

Oh yes, almost forgot. Haven't put anything through either of my airbrushes except Tamiya acryls and have never had a problem.