SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Tell us what you are upto in your current campaign (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151090)

krashkart 02-21-10 11:17 PM

Frau:

I'm playing stock SH3, unsure if this matches your setup. Irish Sea does yield some merchant shipping here and there. Farther north you might encounter some heavies like C2, close to and out in the open waters. Also north over Scapa Flow. Hope that helps.

BillCar 02-22-10 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1276268)
Thanks for the tips. But what are my chances of finding/sinking any targets while passing through? Am I just going to be in "avoidance" mode all the way? If so I might resign myself to teleporting back to base if fuel runs low and take the long way 'round.

You'll find things to sink, for sure, and you don't have to be in avoidance mode all the time the water is still reasonably deep (deeper than the English Channel). I do sink ships in the Irish Sea and English Channel, you just have to pick your battles. When convoys start running, you can pick a lot of them off when they come down through the north end of the Irish Sea. It's great for that, because they have to come through that bottleneck on the way to Liverpool.

KL-alfman 02-22-10 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanglavin (Post 1276235)
Alfman don't steal my pregnant sea cow! I've sailed with her through all the seven seas!

I beg your pardon!

(isn't it common phrase yet?
to prevent further copy-right violation I suggest you to install strict means of DRM!) http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys3/emotlol.gif

ryanglavin 02-22-10 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KL-alfman (Post 1276421)
I beg your pardon!

(isn't it common phrase yet?
to prevent further copy-right violation I suggest you to install strict means of DRM!) http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys3/emotlol.gif

:har::haha: But shes mine! I sunk the U.S.S. West Point in the Indian Ocean of all places...

frau kaleun 02-22-10 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krashkart
Irish Sea does yield some merchant shipping here and there. Farther north you might encounter some heavies like C2, close to and out in the open waters. Also north over Scapa Flow. Hope that helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCar
I do sink ships in the Irish Sea and English Channel, you just have to pick your battles. When convoys start running, you can pick a lot of them off when they come down through the north end of the Irish Sea. It's great for that, because they have to come through that bottleneck on the way to Liverpool.

Well, I think I'll give it a try, maybe hang out for a bit just outside the Bristol Channel and then scoot north past Ireland. Definitely going north around Scapa to see what turns up there provided I have any torps left... ATM it looks like I'll run out of fuel before I run out of eels, which would be a shame.

I also wondered about messing about in "Irish waters" given that she's neutral... altho I doubt the game takes that into consideration, I didn't know if keeping closer to the Irish coast would be a benefit. I was kinda surprised on the second patrol of my last career when I got new orders mid-patrol to spend 24 hours in a grid that put me very close to Londonderry and the northern Irish coast.

Dissaray 02-22-10 10:48 AM

Ireland is neutral but as you may recall North Ireland sovrin British teritory, contested by the Irish though it may be, and they are most dicidedly not neutral. I have found the Northern aproaches to the Irish sea to be rich in costal shiping and I think that there is always a convoy rout runing just off the north coast there.

frau kaleun 02-22-10 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dissaray (Post 1276774)
Ireland is neutral but as you may recall North Ireland sovrin British teritory, contested by the Irish though it may be, and they are most dicidedly not neutral. I have found the Northern aproaches to the Irish sea to be rich in costal shiping and I think that there is always a convoy rout runing just off the north coast there.

:doh:

Of course you're right and I should've realized that when I was typing out "northern Irish coast" - DUH.

Blame it on the diesel fumes.

arkham1010 02-22-10 11:13 AM

me? I'm having to either restart in 1939, or start up in 1940 due to their stupid save game management system. *grr*

KL-alfman 02-22-10 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkham1010 (Post 1276833)
me? I'm having to either restart in 1939, or start up in 1940 due to their stupid save game management system. *grr*

why not use SH3Commander?

arkham1010 02-22-10 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KL-alfman (Post 1276843)
why not use SH3Commander?

Will that allow me to restore my lost games?

KL-alfman 02-22-10 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkham1010 (Post 1276860)
Will that allow me to restore my lost games?

no, sorry about that.
but you can start your career at any time in any boat you like.

arkham1010 02-22-10 11:42 AM

Oh sweet, so i can effectively start on April 3rd or whatever date it was in flotilla 2 and pick up as if i never lost my save games? I can cope with that :)

Tho i will miss some training and medals, but so what, i can cope.

Thanks!

KL-alfman 02-22-10 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkham1010 (Post 1276887)
Oh sweet, so i can effectively start on April 3rd or whatever date it was in flotilla 2 and pick up as if i never lost my save games? I can cope with that :)

Tho i will miss some training and medals, but so what, i can cope.

Thanks!

you are welcome!
just remember: it's like starting a new career, so your renown is down at 1,500 .....

arkham1010 02-22-10 02:40 PM

Eh, Im not too concerned about renown. I used most of mine to get good officers, so i can pretend they were assigned to another boat during refit or something. ;)

utops 02-22-10 05:37 PM

Sunk by river class in the fog :nope: victim of the radar
It was good career ~250k t from september 1940 to may 1941 100% GWX
I took this like a opportunity to test LSH v5.