SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Torpedo watch in SH4? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=245602)

holohw 06-19-20 11:15 AM

Torpedo watch in SH4?

Where can i see the time to impact for my torpedos?

XenonSurf 06-19-20 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holohw (Post 2678736)
Where can i see the time to impact for my torpedos?

After you launch the first torpedo the clock will pop-up. the red clock hand will show you the impact time, although this can be over 1 minute. Only the time for the 1st torpedo of multiple launches is shown. You can also see your torpedos in the attack map if you zoom-in.

XS

jimmbbo 06-19-20 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenonSurf (Post 2678748)
After you launch the first torpedo the clock will pop-up. the red clock hand will show you the impact time, although this can be over 1 minute. Only the time for the 1st torpedo of multiple launches is shown. You can also see your torpedos in the attack map if you zoom-in.

+1

In addition, the red time to target hand turns a bright red at one minute to impact...
FWIW, the Mk 14 at high speed covers 1000 yd in about 35 sec... Since the stopwatch only registers the first torpedo launched I use that information to time subsequent torpedo releases to (hopefully) obtain simultaneous impact.

If I target three ships at say 3000, 2300 and 1500 yds I launch the first torpedoes and then subsequent fish at about 25 second intervals.:Kaleun_Cheers:

XenonSurf 06-19-20 02:10 PM

I recently was far away of a task force with a juicy battleship at 8400 yards but at perfect -90° AOB. No second chance to get in position (convoy was faster than my sub). Theoretically enough distance for the MK14 at slow speed with 33 knots travel time. I have set the depth to 15 feet and launched 3 torpedos in desperation, but I should have chosen a 1 and 2 degree difference angle relative to my first torpedo to score at least 1 hit, without that I could only see 3 misses as a result :D
But at that distance it was a fool idea to fire anyway I think.
The clock remained black in that case IIRC, also because I didn't get a direct lock on the target, I had to hit L to get a solution for some seconds (without manual targetting) , the clock didn't pop-up in that case, I had to display it manually, then I had to go to the attack map to see the torpedos run for about 3 minutes.

XS

mikesn9 06-20-20 09:07 AM

Running FOTRSU, the clock doesn't pop up by itself, but I activate it.
Also time to run can be shown on the attack map, when you are locked on to target, the line that shows a little ahead of the target has a number at the end of it: time to impact for the torpedo you about to fire.