SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] S3D - Silent 3ditor (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119571)

kriller2 01-14-08 06:11 PM

So far no problems with the new build

Hi Skwasjer,

I have been testing your latest S3D and haven't had any issues to report, but I tried to export a model to Collada and import it into blender to correct the size of the trees and I couldn't make it work. Anyone know the exact method to import / export Collada objects?

Nice work on this :rock:

skwasjer 01-14-08 07:08 PM

I don't have Blender (I probably wouldn't understand how to use it anyway) so I haven't tested it.

Can you verify that the Collada import plugin in Blender supports Collada v.1.4.x?? Can you provide a screenshot/error message of the problem?

In Max, there's only 2 import options:
  • Import units
  • Import Up-axis
Both should be on...

Mush Martin 01-15-08 09:07 AM

Hi Skwasjer, Now might be a real good time for me to apologize
for the wisecrack on the California thread. MMMMmmm crow tastes
sooo good.

Ok so I took your advice and retried the latest s3d
I got the .net fx stuff ok and s3d installed but when
I try to initialize it I get an error report that contains this
which I do not understand.

EventType:clr20r3 P1:s3d.exe P2:1.0.0.0 P3:4786c81b
P4:dat P5:1.0.0.0 P6:1456c81d P7: 36 P8: 382
P9:system.io.filenotfoundexception

can you help?
I am trying to learn how to use it
to do a repair on the twin 40 mm

with thanks
M

skwasjer 01-15-08 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mush Martin
Hi Skwasjer, Now might be a real good time for me to apologize for the wisecrack on the California thread. MMMMmmm crow tastes
sooo good.

No problem, I was only messing back at you ;) I actually laughed at your comment :up:

I'll PM you regarding the S3D problem...

[edit] The problem MM had was related to outdated DirectX. My download page makes a note about this, but he must have missed it. I will update the installer to perform a DirectX check during install process, to prevent this from happing in the future to new users/computers...

GerritJ9 01-21-08 11:15 AM

Found a VERY, VERY MINOR bug:
After opening a .sim file and proceeding to Unit_Ship -> Properties -> eng_rpm, at the bottom of the page you will find Description: Engine's max turation (rpm). This should be Engine's max ROTATION.
In no way does this affect the programme's function, so far things going smoothly:up:
Nice work indeed!

skwasjer 01-21-08 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GerritJ9
Found a VERY, VERY MINOR bug:
After opening a .sim file and proceeding to Unit_Ship -> Properties -> eng_rpm, at the bottom of the page you will find Description: Engine's max turation (rpm). This should be Engine's max ROTATION.
In no way does this affect the programme's function, so far things going smoothly:up:
Nice work indeed!

Actually, all descriptions are from the devs themselves, I just took it from the game files. There's more typos and small errors, but I haven't changed most of them. I hope to have some help with getting all the descriptions right from one of you guys some time (so if anyone wants to pitch in *hint* *hint*).

Thanks for the report, I'll change this one :up:

kapitan_zur_see 01-21-08 02:39 PM

Works like a charm so far for me...

Madox58 01-27-08 07:16 PM

"Actually, all descriptions are from the devs themselves, I just took it from the game files. There's more typos and small errors, but I haven't changed most of them. I hope to have some help with getting all the descriptions right from one of you guys some time (so if anyone wants to pitch in *hint* *hint*)."

Man!
That's a full time job there!
:o
Many things are in Romanian not to mention mis-spellings,
shakey translations, and such.

But Soclu means base if that helps!!
:lol:

onelifecrisis 01-30-08 06:06 AM

skwasjer, this tool is great - thank you very much! :yep: :up: :rock:

skwasjer 01-30-08 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by privateer
Man!
That's a full time job there!
:o
Many things are in Romanian not to mention mis-spellings,
shakey translations, and such.

But Soclu means base if that helps!!
:lol:

lol, now imagine I defined 170+ controllers manually (many days, I tell ya). Correcting the descriptions is only 1% of the time it took me to do that ;) (for experienced modders anyway)

But yea it's still difficult, I know, but it's even more difficult for me. These things you only learn by actually making changes to the files and testing them. But I really don't have time for this next to S3D itself. Btw, most descriptions are in English (well in SH4 anyway), I am not referring to the labels in the dat-files etc. - of which alot are indeed Romanian - I am referring to the descriptions they left in the .act files. But true, they are messy...

Corrections like GerritJ9 suggested is what I (we all) need. The descriptions don't affect the program, they are just there to tell you what a value means. If they can be rewritten to be more clear/useful that would be awesome, for everyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
skwasjer, this tool is great - thank you very much! :yep: :up: :rock:

Glad you like it :p

fire-fox 02-06-08 11:44 AM

what would i need to alter to change rechange rate for the battarys?:oops:

Anvart 02-14-08 06:46 AM

Hi, Skwasjer.
Any news? :o
No news ...
For giving assurance ...
TMAP section (sequence of indexes of textural coordinates... command: f Vi1 / VTi1 Vi2 / VTi2 Vi3 / VTi3, occ. map texture = NSS_Balao_O01.dds) for NSS_Balao obj:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9548/occuvwsh7.jpg

Texture should be flipped ...

skwasjer 02-14-08 08:07 AM

Hi Anvart,

Model import is currently my highest priority and I've got it almost working. TMAP is no problem.

I am aiming for somewhere early march, but no guarantee on that. Depends on my free time... :smug:

nautilus42 02-14-08 09:29 AM

Hi skwasjer,

your Tool is the Best off all Tools. I create with this Tool -The Lock-Holtenau - for SH3! :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: THX.

greetings

nautilus42

Gotmilk 02-14-08 09:42 AM

could anyone be so kind and point me to direction where i could find exact tutorial how you import models into 3ds max so it looks like it should. I exported the model and imported it into max. And all i got was bunch of messed up geometry :(

skwasjer 02-14-08 10:58 AM

Please make sure to use the ColladaMax plugin from FeelingSoftware. Max's built-in plugin doesn't work.

http://www.feelingsoftware.com/compo...id,80/lang,en/

Also, while model export works in S3D, even the above plugin doesn't totally import the model correctly. Geometry should be fine, and the uv-channels too, but materials are not imported 100% correctly and this release has issues with object hierarchy. You have to do some post-processing:

- if the original Dat-model has no normals, it will look facetted. Smooth the model by applying a Edit Normals modifier. Select all normals, click 'Reset', select all normals again, click 'Unify'.
- (multi)materials aren't set up properly. Limitation of Collada format.
- materials don't use the correct map channel. Manually change this.
- textures aren't always found. Manually change this.
- several more material related things since not every parameter is supported by Collada. For instance, AO map can't be assigned, so you have to modify the material, add the AO-map and set the channel yourself.

Basically, directly after import, pressing 'Render' won't give you a proper render right away...

In fact, I don't recommend just yet to use current S3D release to export models to do actual work on. The models are probably not importable when next release is out (unless again manually fixed which may be difficult).

[edit] I will make a full tutorial on post-processing once I'm done with the programming.

Gotmilk 02-14-08 04:40 PM

Thank you for your reply. I will wait for the next release then. :up:

Anvart 02-14-08 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skwasjer
Hi Anvart,

Model import is currently my highest priority and I've got it almost working. TMAP is no problem.

I am aiming for somewhere early march, but no guarantee on that. Depends on my free time... :smug:

"Model import ...", "... TMAP is no problem."
:rotfl:
It is the same work ...

Good luck.

Anvart 02-14-08 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skwasjer
Please make sure to use the ColladaMax plugin from FeelingSoftware. Max's built-in plugin doesn't work.

http://www.feelingsoftware.com/compo...id,80/lang,en/

Also, while model export works in S3D, even the above plugin doesn't totally import the model correctly. Geometry should be fine, and the uv-channels too, but materials are not imported 100% correctly and this release has issues with object hierarchy. You have to do some post-processing:

- if the original Dat-model has no normals, it will look facetted. Smooth the model by applying a Edit Normals modifier. Select all normals, click 'Reset', select all normals again, click 'Unify'.
- (multi)materials aren't set up properly. Limitation of Collada format.
- materials don't use the correct map channel. Manually change this.
- textures aren't always found. Manually change this.
- several more material related things since not every parameter is supported by Collada. For instance, AO map can't be assigned, so you have to modify the material, add the AO-map and set the channel yourself.

Basically, directly after import, pressing 'Render' won't give you a proper render right away...

In fact, I don't recommend just yet to use current S3D release to export models to do actual work on. The models are probably not importable when next release is out (unless again manually fixed which may be difficult).

[edit] I will make a full tutorial on post-processing once I'm done with the programming.

???
Not good news ... :nope:

skwasjer 02-14-08 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anvart
"Model import ...", "... TMAP is no problem."

:rotfl:
It is the same work ...

Uhm, first you ask for a status update, you get a reply and then you make fun of me? If you don't understand (which you don't obviously), why don't you ask for more details?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anvart
Not good news ... :nope:

You're welcome.