SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 ATO Mods (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   [REL] Knights of the Sea Depths II: Ace Edition (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=250525)

Niume 10-28-21 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan (Post 2776292)
On # 2., if not mistaken... in DW's... it is possible to request an air patrol out ahead... they may see enemies ahead of your transit path... or they may not.

The skill level of the (simulated air crew) is what makes it dependent on the report capabilities from such a flight.

Not sure is requesting an air strike is a capability, though... has been a bit, since I last went out on patrol in OM: DW's...

Hope this info helps... :shucks: :yep:

:Kaleun_Salute:

M. M.

The author of the "Wolfpack" mod believes this is unrealistic.

SnipersHunter 10-28-21 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niume (Post 2776295)
The author of the "Wolfpack" mod believes this is unrealistic.

I have to agree a Uboat commander wasnt able to simply direct airplanes at his disposal.

John Pancoast 10-28-21 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnipersHunter (Post 2776319)
I have to agree a Uboat commander wasnt able to simply direct airplanes at his disposal.

No, but BdU did at times, though not as often as they wished since Doenitz/Goering hated each other and the Condor crews were never very good at the job.
Sometimes a game/mod function can be used to represent something that occurred in reality, but isn't in the game. So the function is meant to represent something vs a literal interpretation.
I tend to think this function fits well into that catagory vs. representing the act of a u-boat commander doing it.

SnipersHunter 10-29-21 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pancoast (Post 2776338)
No, but BdU did at times, though not as often as they wished since Doenitz/Goering hated each other and the Condor crews were never very good at the job.
Sometimes a game/mod function can be used to represent something that occurred in reality, but isn't in the game. So the function is meant to represent something vs a literal interpretation.
I tend to think this function fits well into that catagory vs. representing the act of a u-boat commander doing it.

You are right even though it would be nice to have it limited a bit. Dönitz touched that topic really nicely in his memoirs. There were a few instances of Condors and Uboats operating together but the position call outs of the Condors often proved to be unreliable as you already stated.

lederhosen 10-29-21 02:27 AM

download complete...danke

Niume 10-29-21 01:06 PM

Maybe in the future I will add it.

Kongo Otto 11-01-21 05:36 PM

KSD 1.1

Training mission Artillery school

When I take over the gun and fire at the target ship, everytime when the target ship explodes the game crashes, forcing me to hard restart my pc.

Niume 11-02-21 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kongo Otto (Post 2776781)
KSD 1.1

Training mission Artillery school

When I take over the gun and fire at the target ship, everytime when the target ship explodes the game crashes, forcing me to hard restart my pc.

Thank you.

Kongo Otto 11-02-21 08:50 AM

I just checked out the Torpedo shooting mission in the submarine school section and it's the same as with the deck gun mission there. The first torpedo hits the ship just fine and the ship starts flooding, but when I fired a second one the ships explodes and the game crashes again.

SnipersHunter 11-02-21 10:15 AM

The submarine school missions seem to have issues in general and should be revised. I recommend to avoid them for now.

Niume 11-02-21 10:36 AM

Will look into it. Perhaps I will recreate SH3 naval academy missions.

propbeanie 11-02-21 10:50 AM

Look at the ship Type= and Class= lines for mis-matches with the mod's Roster.

Kongo Otto 11-02-21 11:04 AM

Maybe it is important, the ship used in both the torpedo and the deckgun mission is a paddle steamer, I couldn't find that ship in the recognition manual tho.

SnipersHunter 11-02-21 01:32 PM

Yeah I am pretty sure that propbeanie is right. We will check it :Kaleun_Salute:

propbeanie 11-02-21 08:19 PM

Kongo Otto, if you had a previous mod activated, and did not clear your Save folder after activating the new mod, you can also end up with that situation.

Kongo Otto 11-03-21 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2776917)
Kongo Otto, if you had a previous mod activated, and did not clear your Save folder after activating the new mod, you can also end up with that situation.

I have a new install and there was nothing in the Save folder.

I have started a U-Boat campaign and already sunk 8500 something tons Palmira tanker inside my designated patrol quadrant and it exploded nicely.
The game didn't crash, albeit it was a huge explosion.

To: BdU

1 Tanker 8500tons, chasing fast single merchant, 9 torpedos left, 170 rounds Deckgun. AL6152, U-35 Haeder

dcb 11-03-21 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnipersHunter (Post 2776850)
The submarine school missions seem to have issues in general and should be revised. I recommend to avoid them for now.

I confirm this. These days i had some time to fire up this supermod. Naturally, I began with the sub school, which allowed me to notice a few things that need improvement.
- First, the freeze mentioned here. It's caused by the animation of the secondary explosion with fireball. I added several types of ships to the sub school mission, loaded them with various types of cargo and watched the effects. Regular explosions with just a water column are alright, but when it comes to ammo ships or tankers that generate fireballs, the game freezes and the only thing to do is a hard reset.
- Second, I tried the convoy mission. Maybe i've lost my hand at it during the 7-8 years that i stayed away from subsimming, but the destroyer found me instantly and rammed me at a depth of 13m. And here comes the odd part:
Although my uboat got rammed at full speed, with the destroyer's bow being pushed out of the water, the sub had absolutely no damage, neither from the impact, nor from the swarm of depth charges that exploded practically on top of it.
To press things on, I surfaced and the destroyer circled me, firing at me only with his MG's, no guns. Although the guns were trained on me, he did not fire them and attacked me only with MG's and by ramming a 2nd time. Only this 2nd ramming (when i was surfaced) managed to damage my sub and eventually i got sunk.
Anyway, I feel that both the damage model and the destroyer behavior have room for improvement.
- Finally, as a side note, personally I feel that bringing back in game the WP commands about identifying a target, calculating range etc. would be a great bonus.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the work with this mod Niume and keep up the good work

Niume 11-03-21 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 2776966)
I confirm this. These days i had some time to fire up this supermod. Naturally, I began with the sub school, which allowed me to notice a few things that need improvement.
- First, the freeze mentioned here. It's caused by the animation of the secondary explosion with fireball. I added several types of ships to the sub school mission, loaded them with various types of cargo and watched the effects. Regular explosions with just a water column are alright, but when it comes to ammo ships or tankers that generate fireballs, the game freezes and the only thing to do is a hard reset.
- Second, I tried the convoy mission. Maybe i've lost my hand at it during the 7-8 years that i stayed away from subsimming, but the destroyer found me instantly and rammed me at a depth of 13m. And here comes the odd part:
Although my uboat got rammed at full speed, with the destroyer's bow being pushed out of the water, the sub had absolutely no damage, neither from the impact, nor from the swarm of depth charges that exploded practically on top of it.
To press things on, I surfaced and the destroyer circled me, firing at me only with his MG's, no guns. Although the guns were trained on me, he did not fire them and attacked me only with MG's and by ramming a 2nd time. Only this 2nd ramming (when i was surfaced) managed to damage my sub and eventually i got sunk.
Anyway, I feel that both the damage model and the destroyer behavior have room for improvement.
- Finally, as a side note, personally I feel that bringing back in game the WP commands about identifying a target, calculating range etc. would be a great bonus.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the work with this mod Niume and keep up the good work

It seems that explosions only in Submarine school causes game to crash. I am amazed why it happens. Because I haven't touched any of the parameters in the training academy besides translating the text to English language. And at least from my testing in campaign i do not crash when big explosion happens.

You can already ask WP to identify ships. You need to lock the ship and press SHIFT+I. I do not believe that it is possible to ask for range, aob, speed reading without disabling manual targeting all together.

Also do not forget to join discord server. You can report bugs there and see upcoming features.

https://discord.gg/x5KPChjs

dcb 11-03-21 12:58 PM

Hi again Niume, thanks a lot for the answer.

Okay, i got the message about explosions, I'll wait to see how they behave during missions.

Regarding the WP commands, they are present in the Commands.cfg file, the section that lists the WP commands. I remember they were useful in SH3, as a middle option between full manual targeting and automatic targeting (some sort of mild cheat when playing manual targeting, without activating the auto targeting). I also remember it had the respective buttons in the SH3 interface, but not 100% sure about that, as i haven't played SH3 in ages.

[Cmd344]
Name=WP_Solution_to_target
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F130003
Str=1074

[Cmd345]
Name=WP_Fire_torpedo
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F130004

[Cmd346]
Name=WP_Compute_solution
Ctxt=1
Str=1076

As for the sub damage model, do you think something can be done regarding the underwater collisions I mentioned earlier? Just indicate me the file to edit and i'll try to do it myself, don't want to bother you with this if you don't feel like it.

Thanks again, pal, and all the best :Kaleun_Cheers:

SnipersHunter 11-03-21 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kongo Otto (Post 2776944)
I have a new install and there was nothing in the Save folder.

I have started a U-Boat campaign and already sunk 8500 something tons Palmira tanker inside my designated patrol quadrant and it exploded nicely.
The game didn't crash, albeit it was a huge explosion.

To: BdU

1 Tanker 8500tons, chasing fast single merchant, 9 torpedos left, 170 rounds Deckgun. AL6152, U-35 Haeder

Are you Georg Haeder on YouTube? Love your videos! :Kaleun_Applaud: