SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

poveglia 12-06-20 11:53 PM

Will I ever get missions or patrols that involve being out at sea for several weeks or more? Or is it all 24, 48, and 72 hour patrols? Ive just started and am in October '39

Cybermat47 12-07-20 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poveglia (Post 2711933)
Will I ever get missions or patrols that involve being out at sea for several weeks or more? Or is it all 24, 48, and 72 hour patrols? Ive just started and am in October '39

Upon completing a patrol mission, simply continue patrolling in an area of your choosing until you run out of fuel, torpedoes, or hull integrity :D

Speaking of which, I wonder if it would ever be possible to implement food stores into the game? A submarine with plenty of fuel and torpedoes still has to return to base if the crew is starving, after all...

poveglia 12-07-20 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybermat47 (Post 2712007)
Upon completing a patrol mission, simply continue patrolling in an area of your choosing until you run out of fuel, torpedoes, or hull integrity :D

Speaking of which, I wonder if it would ever be possible to implement food stores into the game? A submarine with plenty of fuel and torpedoes still has to return to base if the crew is starving, after all...

Awesome, thanks for the info. I agree with you on food stores too.

Another question, though. I know its ill advised to save the game while in a patrol zone, but am I able to save the game while traveling between two BdU ordered patrol zones (assuming there is non-zone water between the zones and no overlap)? I would still be within the Coastal Waters red arc though, so would that cause an issue?

vdr1981 12-07-20 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poveglia (Post 2712131)
Awesome, thanks for the info. I agree with you on food stores too.

Another question, though. I know its ill advised to save the game while in a patrol zone, but am I able to save the game while traveling between two BdU ordered patrol zones (assuming there is non-zone water between the zones and no overlap)? I would still be within the Coastal Waters red arc though, so would that cause an issue?

Of course not... Read this link and you'll understand how to play campaign IN Wolves...:yep:https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=3816

Drakken 12-07-20 11:00 PM

Another quick question : Seems that I misplaced my Grid Tool and can not longer retrieve it. This complicate drafting my written KTB somewhat. Is there a way to reset charts to their original location?

Thanks! :Kaleun_Salute:

vdr1981 12-08-20 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakken (Post 2712181)
Another quick question : Seems that I misplaced my Grid Tool and can not longer retrieve it. This complicate drafting my written KTB somewhat. Is there a way to reset charts to their original location?

Thanks! :Kaleun_Salute:

Quote:

- I've lost my charts/recognition manual?!
Delete all ***_Draggables.TDW files fro m the main game install folder and start the game again, Original charts/rec.manual positions will
be restored ...

gap 12-08-20 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2711398)
I took the antenna from one of the imported dat coastal installations, organized it as a single ground unit, placed it on the most appropriate locations and set it in ME to send radio reports every day. :yep:
I properly renamed mentioned command to "report nearest land based contact/beacon".

It's a small geeky touch IMO, kind of non precision approach for U-boats, but it can be very immersive for real nav captains...:yep:

Yesterday I was rethinking about this neat feature that you have introduced in TWoS. Are those antennas marked on the navigation map? If yes, with just two bearings taken at a short interval one from the other and some trigonometry, we could know the exact U-boat position relative to each base. No need to know beforehand the approximate range from the radio signal :yep:

Drakken 12-08-20 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2712270)

Vielen Dank! Now my hand-written KTBs are saved. :salute:

vdr1981 12-08-20 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2712288)
Yesterday I was rethinking about this neat feature that you have introduced in TWoS. Are those antennas marked on the navigation map? If yes, with just two bearings taken at a short interval one from the other and some trigonometry, we could know the exact U-boat position relative to each base. No need to know beforehand the approximate range from the radio signal :yep:

Yes they are marked on the map, but we still can not know the exact uboat position if we are reading bearins only from one NDB (the closest), and that is what we can do with this feature. Maybe I didn't understand what are you trying to say? Can you give some example ?

That been said , I am indeed little bit annoyed by that "approximate" range of 256.4 Km...:)

Texas Red 12-08-20 03:58 PM

A little late to the party but I will download the new version ASAP! :salute:

Thank you for your continuing hard work to give us an amazing mod! :salute:

Mad Mardigan 12-08-20 06:15 PM

Re: Inquiry...

Got TWoS updated & all done as needed... sooo... My inquiry does NOT have anything to do with that.

That said... however... I need to find out something.

Just finished the Danzig mission, got message mission complete (including reporting/attacking polish task force) I did attempt to slam a couple of torps into them, but missed badly. so... I just said enough, radioed in on them & watched a couple of Luftwaffe aircraft roll in & attack... as I made My way to Danzig.

Upon getting to the port area, I proceeded to attack some ships there, managed to sink 2 of them & before I could send another torp off to sink any of the damaged ships to finish them off... got the radio message assigning Me to make way for Kiel.

With that, I set course for Kiel... and got there on the 3rd of Sept.

Now, with that info... the question pertains to docking & getting a new mission assignment.

After reaching Kiel, I docked right off, thinking that like SH3 & SH4.. the date would progress ahead... & to My surprise, it didn't. It was still the 3rd of Sept. and... when I went to talk to whats his face, the one you get mission orders from... no mission on the map to select. :hmmm: :hmmm: :06:

Sooo.. I shrugged, selected head out & made My way from Kiel to the eastern sea board of England... where after I got past the 4th, i then noticed 2 areas open up, but... no way to select them as on the map with whats his face.... but they were there on the map.

1, was BtF, end date of Oct (iirc) & patrolling the east coast of England... end date of December.

so... do I need to dock after the 4th, or am I good to go what with those 2 missions showing up on the nav mapping.?

Or.... do I need to see of redoing the Danzig mission & make sure that I do NOT dock until after the 4th. & then proceed normally from there?

M. M.

:Kaleun_Salute:

gap 12-09-20 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2712347)
Yes they are marked on the map, but we still can not know the exact uboat position if we are reading bearins only from one NDB (the closest), and that is what we can do with this feature. Maybe I didn't understand what are you trying to say? Can you give some example ?

Yes sure.

When two radio beacons are in range, our position can be simply plotted on map as the intersection of the bearings relative to the two antennas, as illustrated in the picture below:

https://i.imgur.com/4hWFeb2.png

This is a valid method we can use with lighthouses, day beacons and landmarks as far as their position is marked on map, but unfortunately it won't work with your radio beacons because the radioman will always report the bearing of the nearest antenna.

Nonetheless just one beacon is enough to get our position relative to it. The method we need to follow is slightly more complicated than the one used when two beacon signals are available, but not that much. What we need to do is stopping our boats when we think that we are within beacon's range and asking our marconist for a bearing to it. Knowing that, we should put ourselves on a ±90 deg route relative to the reported bearing (270 deg in the example below, i.e. 90 deg to port) and we should sail at constant speed for a measured amount of time, so that we can estimate as accurately as possible the distance covered during that lapse of time. The more we move relative to the first bearing, the more accurate our calculations will be. When we are satisfied with the distance covered we stop the boat and we wait for the next radio signal.

https://i.imgur.com/0e4AFJO.png

At this point, our measurements will describe a right angle whose two catheti are respectively the leg between the two bearings (a in the figure above) whose length we know, and the distance between our submarine and the antenna when the first bearing was taken (b). We need to calculate the hypothenusa (c), i.e. the distance bewteen the antenna and our current position. To do that we need the angle α (alpha) between the two bearings. This is equal to the absolute value of the current bearing minus the first bearing.

In our example α = |240-270|= 30 deg

From there, an elementary trigonometric rule can be used for calculating c as:

a/sin α

Assuming that in our example a = 5 km we would have that:

c = 5/sin(30) = 5/0.5 = 10 km

Knowing the bearing and the distance from a fixed point, we basically know our position.

Cool, isn't it? :salute:

vdr1981 12-09-20 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan (Post 2712396)
After reaching Kiel, I docked right off, thinking that like SH3 & SH4.. the date would progress ahead... & to My surprise, it didn't. It was still the 3rd of Sept. and... when I went to talk to whats his face, the one you get mission orders from... no mission on the map to select. :hmmm: :hmmm: :06:

In SH, you select the missions when you dock, but the date will skip after your departure. That'swhy you didn't saw mission for eastern British waters. You've docked too early...Not big of a problem though...

Quote:

1, was BtF, end date of Oct (iirc) & patrolling the east coast of England... end date of December.

so... do I need to dock after the 4th, or am I good to go what with those 2 missions showing up on the nav mapping.?

Or.... do I need to see of redoing the Danzig mission & make sure that I do NOT dock until after the 4th. & then proceed normally from there?

M. M.

:Kaleun_Salute:
No, just sail around and hunt in areas of your choice and you'll select the mission next time when you visit the bunker. Check QSM and tips manual for more info about the campaign...:yep: You can also try to infiltrate Skapa if you want...

vdr1981 12-09-20 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2712457)
Yes sure.

When two radio beacons are in range, our position can be simply plotted on map as the intersection of the bearings relative to the two antennas, as illustrated in the picture below:

https://i.imgur.com/4hWFeb2.png

This is a valid method we can use with lighthouses, day beacons and landmarks as far as their position is marked on map, but unfortunately it won't work with your radio beacons because the radioman will always report the bearing of the nearest antenna.

Exactly, this case is not possible at in SH5 at all...

Quote:

Nonetheless just one beacon is enough to get our position relative to it. The method we need to follow is slightly more complicated than the one used when two beacon signals are available, but not that much. What we need to do is stopping our boats when we think that we are within beacon's range and asking our marconist for a bearing to it. Knowing that, we should put ourselves on a ±90 deg route relative to the reported bearing (270 deg in the example below, i.e. 90 deg to port) and we should sail at constant speed for a measured amount of time, so that we can estimate as accurately as possible the distance covered during that lapse of time. The more we move relative to the first bearing, the more accurate our calculations will be. When we are satisfied with the distance covered we stop the boat and we wait for the next radio signal.

https://i.imgur.com/0e4AFJO.png

At this point, our measurements will describe a right angle whose two catheti are respectively the leg between the two bearings (a in the figure above) whose length we know, and the distance between our submarine and the antenna when the first bearing was taken (b). We need to calculate the hypothenusa (c), i.e. the distance bewteen the antenna and our current position. To do that we need the angle α (alpha) between the two bearings. This is equal to the absolute value of the current bearing minus the first bearing.

In our example α = |240-270|= 30 deg

From there, an elementary trigonometric rule can be used for calculating c as:

a/sin α

Assuming that in our example a = 5 km we would have that:

c = 5/sin(30) = 5/0.5 = 10 km

Knowing the bearing and the distance from a fixed point, we basically know our position.

Cool, isn't it? :salute:
Cool yes, but didn't we talk about the determination of the "exact" U-boat position?

Yes,in theory this is possible but in practical SH5 with real nav, very hard in some cases. What if sea is rough while we travel length "A" and our sub's speed constantly jumps around? What if player mistakenly tie yourself to the beacon in Brest instead of Lorient? What if beacons are one behind the other relative to your position and first one is destroyed by RAF (this is also possible)?

In previous updates it was practically impossible to remove range part because all beacons were set to emit only few hours per day. Now , I set them to emit almost constantly (which is also not very realistic IMO, especially during the war) and it is possible to remove the range data assuming that player will be able to know at least his approximate location while approaching the port.

In essence, we have to chose between more realistic NDB behavior or more realistic reports without range data...

Drakken 12-09-20 09:14 AM

I have another question : I just saved my game around midnight, September 3rd 1939. On my KSD Commander Career it states that I was transfered to Kiel on September 2nd. However, I did not receive any message on my radio telling me so. Not from BdU, not from anyone. I assign my radio range to 300 when in Poland, so maybe this is why.

Is it normal? Or have I an issue with my Campaign transfer? Should I wait until September 4th? Because I save rather often, I'm paranoid that I have bugged my career. :k_confused: