SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

Lanzfeld 05-03-19 03:04 PM

Been playing WOS quite a bit lately so I have a few questions please....

1. You can press one of the F keys for silent running (F7 I think) but you can also ask the first officer to activate his silent running. Then there is the “Z” key. Is there a difference?

2. Same with “Battle Stations”. Press F8 and/or watch officer “battle stations (Level 2?)”. Is there a difference and can anyone tell me really what these do? I know it says the crew is more efficient but can we be more specific than that?

3. This one bothers me. I’m north of England on an overcast night. Light fog, wind speed 15 m/s. I go to the bridge and (dammit) there is a 2900 ton English coal ship in plain sight maybe 3 to 4 Km away!!! Watch officer sees nothing despite his level 2 spotting skills (out of 3). It is plain as day even with out binoculars but I give the game the benefit of the doubt because of the (really not that bad) weather and I approach the enemy ship to see exactly when my bridge crew and watch officer will spot it. I closed to about 500 meters and no one ever said anything. It was huge and plain as day. Asked the watch officer if there were any visual targets and he said none. We are talking light fog here. Does something need adjusting?

Thank you to anyone who responds to these questions.:Kaleun_Salute:

Susexx 05-03-19 04:49 PM

Why can't we keep the depth ? And why does the submarine have a strong trim on the stern ?

XenonSurf 05-03-19 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susexx (Post 2607127)
Why can't we keep the depth ? And why does the submarine have a strong trim on the stern ?

There is an icon on the left to give that order, doesn't it work? IIRC, in the WoS doc it's said that you must control the dive planes manually if your sub is damaged by flooding or similar.

XenonSurf 05-03-19 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanzfeld (Post 2607105)
Been playing WOS quite a bit lately so I have a few questions please....

1. You can press one of the F keys for silent running (F7 I think) but you can also ask the first officer to activate his silent running. Then there is the “Z” key. Is there a difference?

2. Same with “Battle Stations”. Press F8 and/or watch officer “battle stations (Level 2?)”. Is there a difference and can anyone tell me really what these do? I know it says the crew is more efficient but can we be more specific than that?

3. This one bothers me. I’m north of England on an overcast night. Light fog, wind speed 15 m/s. I go to the bridge and (dammit) there is a 2900 ton English coal ship in plain sight maybe 3 to 4 Km away!!! Watch officer sees nothing despite his level 2 spotting skills (out of 3). It is plain as day even with out binoculars but I give the game the benefit of the doubt because of the (really not that bad) weather and I approach the enemy ship to see exactly when my bridge crew and watch officer will spot it. I closed to about 500 meters and no one ever said anything. It was huge and plain as day. Asked the watch officer if there were any visual targets and he said none. We are talking light fog here. Does something need adjusting?

Thank you to anyone who responds to these questions.:Kaleun_Salute:

Your 2):
According to my recent tests, the 2 Battlestation commands do nothing except: the one from the WO icon will re-orientate the deck gun correctly when the crew leaves the gun station, this command needs to be activated before sending men to deck gun and deactivated before men leave deck gun.
Else, I see nothing, but maybe Veko can put a light on this...I'm curious too :hmmm:

Your 1):
The Z key comes with the Stormy's DBSM mod, it's not part of WoS I think. I had good reason to use this mod without the new keyboard commands (there is a sticky guide for that), but I can't remember the reason exactly.

Your 3):
Very strange, I feel that my crew always spots everything without ME seeing it :)
Crew will not in repetition signal the contacts, except the sonarman if ordered (one of the white icons). Maybe you can order WO to do that, but I don't know. But go look in the message history, you should see an entry when your contact was spotted the first time. Maybe the message sound of the WO didnt' play? Here also it depends if you have mods installed that are not compatible with WoS, and it should be the Stormy's DBSM mod also mentioned in your 1) point. Go look here to install this mod without keyboard commands and compatible with TWoS:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=1005

Susexx 05-03-19 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenonSurf (Post 2607129)
There is an icon on the left to give that order, doesn't it work? IIRC, in the WoS doc it's said that you must control the dive planes manually if your sub is damaged by flooding or similar.

The submarine is undamaged. The beginning of a career type VIIa. To commands does not react.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pict...ictureid=10332

Lanzfeld 05-03-19 05:35 PM

Just happened again.......

Wind speed 7 m/s clear skies light fog at night. Watch officer did not spot a neutral until it was very close. Maybe 2000 m. I think one of the sensors might be off. I did not change anything

XenonSurf 05-03-19 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanzfeld (Post 2607133)
Just happened again.......

Wind speed 7 m/s clear skies light fog at night. Watch officer did not spot a neutral until it was very close. Maybe 2000 m. I think one of the sensors might be off. I did not change anything

I have updated and edited my last response to you above...

Lanzfeld 05-03-19 05:47 PM

Thanks for response xenon.

But it’s not that he’s not reporting seeing it. He simply just doesn’t see anything. I agree with you normally the crew spots things during the day well before I see them. It’s just that night now they’re not seeing anything.

XenonSurf 05-03-19 05:48 PM

@Susexx,
the icon you use in your picture is the Dive icon, use the forelast below, this is the maintain depth.

XenonSurf 05-03-19 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanzfeld (Post 2607136)

But it’s not that he’s not reporting seeing it. He simply just doesn’t see anything. I agree with you normally the crew spots things during the day well before I see them. It’s just that night now they’re not seeing anything.

Hum, did you ALT-TAB out of the game? Then save/reload because otherwise the game is messed-up. Else I don't know what causes this. And yes: it's abnormal.

vdr1981 05-03-19 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susexx (Post 2607132)
The submarine is undamaged. The beginning of a career type VIIa. To commands does not react.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pict...ictureid=10332

That's what you get when you brake your game with incompatible mods...

fitzcarraldo 05-03-19 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenonSurf (Post 2607137)
@Susexx,
the icon you use in your picture is the Dive icon, use the forelast below, this is the maintain depth.

You need to mantain depth manually over 130-140 mts. Manual planes and compressed air and speed. It is how works in SH5. :yep:

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute:

vdr1981 05-03-19 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanzfeld (Post 2607136)

I didn't notice such behavior in my game. Upgrade your WO and enable BS when you expect units in the area for "extra concentrated" watch crew...

vdr1981 05-03-19 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo (Post 2607140)
You need to mantain depth manually over 130-140 mts. Manual planes and compressed air and speed. It is how works in SH5. :yep:

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute:

More like below 180 m...:yep:

XenonSurf 05-03-19 07:08 PM

Does anyone succeed in the historical mission 'Plane AI Testing'?
Playing with WoS 2.2.10 I find this setup mission unbeatable :hmmm:
I'm playing it using Trevally Attack Scripts for the Flack or without scripts, the plane immediately destroys my flak and causes heavy damage if I try to use flak instead of diving immediately.

That's rather annoying because it's the only mission to train your skills against planes, but maybe this mission is setup to 'always win' ?

In the WoS doc it's said that 'planes are still not up to the task', but I don't think so, because of this mission behavior I dare to assume that they are now unbeatable in the campaign too :)

Anyone succeeding in that mission when not diving ?