SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

alien41 02-17-16 07:10 AM

No more big guys in the scapa flow mission?

Koranis 02-17-16 07:28 AM

Man, I'd really like to use real navigation, but I'm dead in the water with it. The tutorials I found here are nice but it appears that there is always a tool I need to install in order to play properly. I thought WOS was a complete compilation of everything I need to learn it.

Plus I don't recall how to hunt anymore, so maybe playing with real navigation would be to much for me now. :06:

MCM 02-17-16 08:00 AM

Everything is installed!!! And how to use it: There a ALOT of tutorials here in subsim forum and on yt.

Most of the time the error is not the software but the one sitting in front of the computer :down:

palmic 02-17-16 08:15 AM

YT is your best friend now Kaleun :salute:
Go find videos about real navigation youll find more there in threads around...

palmic 02-17-16 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koranis (Post 2382105)
Man, I'd really like to use real navigation, but I'm dead in the water with it. The tutorials I found here are nice but it appears that there is always a tool I need to install in order to play properly. I thought WOS was a complete compilation of everything I need to learn it.

Plus I don't recall how to hunt anymore, so maybe playing with real navigation would be to much for me now. :06:

No its not, dont be pussy and learn :arrgh!:
You can always order navigator to write navigation fix into to map.

small hints:
- turn on script for real navigation / navigation fix - now navigator will update your position automatically
- If you target some ship, you dont need to know where exactly you are, you just need to log relative position and motion between you and ship.

I learned it about november 2015 and now i have best time ever with silent hunter games. And i play even 3 and 4 trigger maru before.
I would never ever played SH with waypoints again.

Koranis 02-17-16 08:47 AM

Ok thanks guys, I'll keep trying.

By the way, these scripts you're talking about, are they included in WOS already?

palmic 02-17-16 08:57 AM

Yep, check this video
this 4 parts video is very good too for targeting at full realism.

Everything from that videos is included in TWOS, i learned too from it.
Everything makes sense as you tech it.

THEBERBSTER 02-17-16 09:18 AM

Hi Vecko
Can you tell me how I can get the colored map contacts back in v1.05 please as I do not really want to go back to v1.04.
My eyes are not good due to cataracts so I cannot see what country's flag is showing in the periscope properly.
Thank you.
Peter

Koranis 02-17-16 09:19 AM

Thank you, I've come across these videos already but didn't realize they were up to date with WOS.

palmic 02-17-16 09:37 AM

And just a thing - as you have 2 options of navigation fix (celestial and by death reconning) its good to know its not 100 exact as arcade style of play.

The differences:
- Celestial is most precise way how to fix you position at sea, but navigator needs good conditions for it and you have to be emerged. + it takes about one hour for navigator to do.
- death reconning navigation fix are calculations based on travel logs (we flew 5 hours by heading 200 at 10kts, then we turned to 250 and so..) so its not so precise, but it takes about 10 minutes for navigator to do it. + you have to keep last fixes in map, because its always relevant to last fix available. So if you delete it from map, navigator will need to calculate it from previous which is much more inaccurate.

Its good to get used to it that you dont need 100% accurate fixes as you never need to be somewhere at 100mx100m. Your target locations will be around kilometers / miles big. When you hunt some ship, you just write your solution relatively to your position, so you can write it even to arctic sea when you are near of south Africa, it doesn' matter.

I dont know what exactly you know about it and what not, so i tried to explain it so. :salute:

Koranis 02-17-16 10:43 AM

I know all the theory but I've never put it into practice in this game. I was able to track down and intercept my targets using No Map Updates in SH3 but it was ages ago and I still had "god view" on my own position.

Thanks for these hints, it will be easier to learn once I know what I'm looking at.

palmic 02-17-16 11:02 AM

Ok, got it.
Its up to you how you wanna play difficulty, i prefer full realism.
If you do too, i can recommend you to learn basic 4 bearings method too if you dont remember.
It will help you to determine precise target course just from hydrophone contacts. There is video tutorial from Stoianm1 too here.

vdr1981 02-17-16 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER (Post 2382125)
Hi Vecko
Can you tell me how I can get the colored map contacts back in v1.05 please as I do not really want to go back to v1.04.
My eyes are not good due to cataracts so I cannot see what country's flag is showing in the periscope properly.
Thank you.
Peter

If this was compilation of individual mods I would tell you to remove these mods:
TDW_No_Contact_Colors_1_1_0
TDW_No_Color_Dashed_Contact_Line_1_1_0
TDW_No_Contact_Tails_1_1_0
TDW_Waypoint_Contacts_No_Symbols_1_1_0

With TWoS is a bit more complicated , but it's perfectly possible...

You should download these mods ( the mod is called TDW addon mods or something) , learn which files they use. Then, you can backup certain files before you enable the megamod...You can even create optional mod for TWoS if you like...:up:

vdr1981 02-17-16 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koranis (Post 2382105)

SH5 Real Navigation tutorial:

1. Click desired course.
2. Click desired speed.
3. Ask navigator periodically to calculate your approximate possition.

-The End- :D

vdr1981 02-17-16 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybermat47 (Post 2382015)
vdr, I was digging around the files, and I noticed that the campaigns in TWoS still have victory points programmed for the campaigns. Does TWoS just make the victory points invisible in the game itself? If so, still an improvement.

Also, if the above is the case, do we have to edit our save files to access 'Major Victory' campaigns such as 'Operation Drumbeat'? Or have you made it so that all you need to do to access these campaigns is to survive the previous one?

Because victory points calculations are broken in SH5 (still), in TWoS OD and MG campaigns are unlocked. Like you said, you only have to survive previous campaign in order to enter OD or MG...:yep: