SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   2010 Subsim Meet (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   People driving in Ivan's car. (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=173984)

ivank 08-22-10 11:35 PM

People driving in Ivan's car.

Um, I had an accident tonight, um it has been pouring all day here on Long Island, and we were coming back from a movie at 11pm-ish and the car in front of me hit his brakes and so did I, but my car just kept going, it did not stop, I do not know why, but yea I turned the wheel to avoid the stopped car and I hit a steam roller which hit a tree. I am okay, but my car is not. It should be fixed by the time of the meet. But I just felt the people who are driving with me should know. Um, yea.

Sledgehammer427 08-23-10 12:23 AM

he's lying. I had a bit of a fit and took it out on his car. luckily the wrecking ball missed most of the car and I suddenly realized that I shouldn't be doing things like that.

sorry bro:sunny:

ivank 08-23-10 01:58 AM

It is cool. The damage is not too bad, just some minor dents. :D

Sledgehammer427 08-23-10 02:18 AM

I forgot to mention the "wrecking ball" was the size of a six-pack. it was the most I could get on such short notice:D

Sailor Steve 08-23-10 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivank (Post 1474821)
But I just felt the people who are driving with me should know. Um, yea.

Know what, exactly? That your brakes might be dangerous? That your car might not be ready? That you may not be a safe driver? :O:

Accidents happen, and it doesn't sound like this one was your fault. If your car is running in time for the meet, there's nothing to worry about.

But I'll bring my motorcycle helmet, just in case.
:rotfl2:

ivank 08-23-10 01:48 PM

LOL yes a helmet is a must.
I just wanted people who get in my car to know the facts and if you guys do not wish to ride with me, I understand. But yes, like the cop said it was not my fault, and **** happens.

UPDATE ON CAR: Mechanic said the engine compartment shows signs of major damage. But he will not know until he opens the car up. If the car is not totalled by insurance he can have her ready in 2 weeks. However if the car is totalled. I will not have an 8-seater. I will most likely have a 5-seater

August 08-23-10 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivank (Post 1475398)
I will most likely have a 5-seater

We may not even need that given the way things are shaping up but if we do the 5 seater will probably be sufficient.

ivank 08-23-10 03:52 PM

Okay, it really depends on what happens with my car and stuff

Jimbuna 08-23-10 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1475230)
Know what, exactly? That your brakes might be dangerous? That your car might not be ready? That you may not be a safe driver? :O:

Accidents happen, and it doesn't sound like this one was your fault. If your car is running in time for the meet, there's nothing to worry about.

But I'll bring my motorcycle helmet, just in case.

Now that quip was cruel :stare:

ivank 08-25-10 12:49 PM

What is a quip?

Jimbuna 08-25-10 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivank (Post 1476963)
What is a quip?

A clever, witty remark often prompted by the occasion :DL

ivank 08-25-10 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna (Post 1476983)
A clever, witty remark often prompted by the occasion :DL

Okay, then how was this one cruel

Jimbuna 08-25-10 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivank (Post 1476994)

It's supposed to be a witty remark in response to the original as in "don't be so cruel laughing at someone elses misfortune" or "don't kick a guy when he is feeling down".....a nuance of the British language but one I suspect shared with many other languages.

'Nuance'...A subtle or slight degree of difference, as in meaning, feeling, or tone; a gradation.

I don't believe Americans have no sense of humour....at least not the ones I've met in person.

If this has gone over your head I'd suggest you PM Takeda or Sailor Steve, they can probably explain it better than me :sunny:

Sailor Steve 08-25-10 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivank
What is a quip?

Quote:

Jim and I are good friends, so sometimes we say mean things to each other just because we think it's funny. What he was saying was cruel (in a joking way) was my saying to you that, while I don't accuse you of being a bad driver, I'll bring my helmet anyway, which implies I might think you really are a bad driver, or at least that accidents follow you around.

I experienced a very good example of that misunderstanding several years ago, when a member made a comment (joking of course) about Americans. I replied with "Hey! I resemble that remark!" He made a big apology for offending me, and I had to explain that this was an American way of saying "I am offended, but only because it's true." Now I see that our British cousins use this comment all the time as well, so I'm still puzzled as to why a Canadian didn't get it.

Anyway, Jim's "cruel quip" comment was aimed at me, as a joke, and I have no problem with it. But I will be glad to explain more, if needed.

ivank 08-25-10 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1477024)
Jim and I are good friends, so sometimes we say mean things to each other just because we think it's funny. What he was saying was cruel (in a joking way) was my saying to you that, while I don't accuse you of being a bad driver, I'll bring my helmet anyway, which implies I might think you really are a bad driver, or at least that accidents follow you around.

I experienced a very good example of that misunderstanding several years ago, when a member made a comment (joking of course) about Americans. I replied with "Hey! I resemble that remark!" He made a big apology for offending me, and I had to explain that this was an American way of saying "I am offended, but only because it's true." Now I see that our British cousins use this comment all the time as well, so I'm still puzzled as to why a Canadian didn't get it.

Anyway, Jim's "cruel quip" comment was aimed at me, as a joke, and I have no problem with it. But I will be glad to explain more, if needed.

Yea, I get it, I was just not thinking straight atm