SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   SH3 w/ GWX gold crashing with windows 11 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=254712)

deslock1 02-07-23 05:06 PM

SH3 w/ GWX gold crashing with windows 11

Greetings, all. I recently switched computers after a hard drive crash. The new desktop is running Windows 11. I was previously playing SH3 on Windows 8.1 via steam with GWX Gold. It worked perfect, no real problems to speak of. With the new computer, I get as far as the mission loading screen in "Career mode." The loading bar goes up to about 90 percent, hangs there and then the programs goes black and crashes back to the desktop. I have tried starting the game normally through Steam, and I have tried doing a "run as administrator" through the desktop icon. No success.

I uninstalled and reinstalled several times. SH3 will load and work without GWX. I've tested that. Something in GWX is getting hung up and crashing the game. I have deactivated all of the mods in JGSME, thinking it might be something there: no dice.

The game file is located here C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter. I also have the GWX folder in there.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I love SH3 and I have been playing it for years. Thanks!!

Aktungbby 02-07-23 10:14 PM

Welcome aboard !

deslocką!:Kaleun_Salute:

propbeanie 02-08-23 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deslock1 (Post 2851725)
Greetings, all. I recently switched computers after a hard drive crash. The new desktop is running Windows 11. I was previously playing SH3 on Windows 8.1 via steam with GWX Gold. It worked perfect, no real problems to speak of. With the new computer, I get as far as the mission loading screen in "Career mode." The loading bar goes up to about 90 percent, hangs there and then the programs goes black and crashes back to the desktop. I have tried starting the game normally through Steam, and I have tried doing a "run as administrator" through the desktop icon. No success.

I uninstalled and reinstalled several times. SH3 will load and work without GWX. I've tested that. Something in GWX is getting hung up and crashing the game. I have deactivated all of the mods in JGSME, thinking it might be something there: no dice.

The game file is located here C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter. I also have the GWX folder in there.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I love SH3 and I have been playing it for years. Thanks!!

You cannot use the C:\Program Files (x86) folder and then mod the game when dealing with older DirectX v9.0c games like SH3. Windows will fight you all the way, and will win. You need to move the game (and possibly Steam) to a different "Steam Library" folder. If you have multiple hard drives in the computer, that is a bit easier. If you have a laptop with only one hard drive, it is a bit more difficult. Refer to Moving a Steam Installation and Games for more information on how to deal with this in Steam. If SH3 is the only Steam game, it is much easier. If you have a lot of Steam games, it is a pain in the #$$, but doable. Once you are out of the Program Files folders "protection" racket, you can use JSGME to apply mods, and they will take.

You will also have to check the SH3.exe file's "Properties" and make sure you have Display Scaling off and change Hight DPI settings to program.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pic...ictureid=12948

You will probably have to experiment with those settings. Some computers don't need but minimal help there, while others need them all. Almost all need the Compatibility settings, not many need the Program DPI at the top of the smaller properties page from the Change high DPI settings button.

Also, do not expect a wide screen mod to function with the Steam version of the game. Black Swan might come along and give you a PM to help out, but in the meantime, just be prepared for that inevitability...

blackswan40 02-08-23 01:33 AM

Hi deslock1 you have a PM Sir that should get you squared away with SH3

At Subsim the Pride Runs Deep We Look After Our Own :Kaleun_Salute:

deslock1 02-08-23 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2851761)
You cannot use the C:\Program Files (x86) folder and then mod the game when dealing with older DirectX v9.0c games like SH3. Windows will fight you all the way, and will win. You need to move the game (and possibly Steam) to a different "Steam Library" folder. If you have multiple hard drives in the computer, that is a bit easier. If you have a laptop with only one hard drive, it is a bit more difficult. Refer to Moving a Steam Installation and Games for more information on how to deal with this in Steam. If SH3 is the only Steam game, it is much easier. If you have a lot of Steam games, it is a pain in the #$$, but doable. Once you are out of the Program Files folders "protection" racket, you can use JSGME to apply mods, and they will take.

You will also have to check the SH3.exe file's "Properties" and make sure you

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pic...ictureid=12948

You will probably have to experiment with those settings. Some computers don't need but minimal help there, while others need them all. Almost all need the Compatibility settings, not many need the Program DPI at the top of the smaller properties page from the Change high DPI settings button.

Also, do not expect a wide screen mod to function with the Steam version of the game. Black Swan might come along and give you a PM to help out, but in the meantime, just be prepared for that inevitability...

Thank you for the input!!!

deslock1 02-08-23 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackswan40 (Post 2851765)
Hi deslock1 you have a PM Sir that should get you squared away with SH3

At Subsim the Pride Runs Deep We Look After Our Own :Kaleun_Salute:

It worked like a charm! Thank you Blackswan40 for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated!!!

deslock1 02-08-23 02:52 PM

It works!

A big thank you for everyone taking the time to reply and give suggestions/directions/input. Blackswan40 sent me a PM early this morning. I was back up and running by this afternoon, after I got a chance to install what he sent. As several of you suggested (as did Blackswan), I needed to install outside of C:/program (86). I used a copy Blackswan sent me as opposed to using Steam. I was totally fine with that option. Thanks again, everyone!