SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [TEC] Has anyone tried this? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=252942)

Bubblehead1980 06-14-22 05:09 PM

Has anyone tried this?

So always thought while we can simulate torpedo malfunctions fairly well in SH 4, something missing is broaching. Just like running deep, some malfunctioned and broached the surface. This slowed their advance, through them off course, and of course were visible to the enemy.

While adjusting german torpedo malfunctions to be more reflective of history, including making the premature rate not so linked to wave height (as I did in TMO) , noticed can adjust the deviation of set depth to negative, so thinking if set it between -0.5 and 5.0 meters, torpedo will broach surface half a meter ? Theory being...could make torpedo more visible to enemy, through torpedo off course, slow it down. Before I go about testing and all, taking time, just wondering if anyone has tried this?

Treetop64 06-24-22 11:44 AM

Is the AI written so that it "sees" the torpedo as it broaches? Or will it only spot an approaching torpedo at a certain radius as it normally would see it's wake, whether it broaches or not?

Doubtful the provision for broached torps is implemented specifically in the sim (even though parameters could be modified to visually simulate such for the player), and correspondingly, the AI's ability to spot a torpedo earlier if it breaks the surface. The AI has to be written to actually "know" how to do this.

Captain Wreckless 07-03-22 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 (Post 2813925)
So always thought while we can simulate torpedo malfunctions fairly well in SH 4, something missing is broaching. Just like running deep, some malfunctioned and broached the surface. This slowed their advance, through them off course, and of course were visible to the enemy.

While adjusting german torpedo malfunctions to be more reflective of history, including making the premature rate not so linked to wave height (as I did in TMO) , noticed can adjust the deviation of set depth to negative, so thinking if set it between -0.5 and 5.0 meters, torpedo will broach surface half a meter ? Theory being...could make torpedo more visible to enemy, through torpedo off course, slow it down. Before I go about testing and all, taking time, just wondering if anyone has tried this?

Interesting. :hmmm:

Ataraxzy 07-16-22 02:00 AM

One effect of broaching would be premature detonation for impact pistols in sea states other than 0 or 1.

At 20kts, you may as well hit a steel wall.

Bubblehead1980 07-16-22 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ataraxzy (Post 2818302)
One effect of broaching would be premature detonation for impact pistols in sea states other than 0 or 1.

At 20kts, you may as well hit a steel wall.

In reality yes, in the sim, not sure. I have not had a chance to test this out as of yet.