SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   COLD WATERS (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=268)
-   -   Great fun, but I'm crap (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=255347)

XonE:32 04-29-23 10:46 PM

Great fun, but I'm crap

https://xone32-gmail.tinytake.com/ms...2N18yMTM3NDQ4MHiya,

long time simmer/sub-simmer, first-time ..Cold Water(er)? Many things I need to figure out as I only bought it yesterday lol. Willing to figure it all out, but one thing I don't get and it's bugging me most. Once I've killed everything in the first mission (e.g. go to grid green 011 and sink all etc.) I hit the "exit", I look to see all my requirements are green and hit continue to get back onto the campaign screen. The first screen tells me I've done a great job etc and sunk this much but then the nxt screen says something like : "Great initiative, but you didn't complete the assigned mission" or some such.

Did I miss something? Am I supposed to patrol for more time in case something shows up in the battle area?
Cheers in advance for any tips.

"I said get in his baffles, not climb up his arse to see what he had for elevenses!"

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pic...ictureid=13124

Aktungbby 04-30-23 09:43 PM

Welcome back!

XonE:32!:Kaleun_Salute:...after 14 years' 'silent running'!:up:

FPSchazly 05-01-23 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XonE:32 (Post 2865376)
https://xone32-gmail.tinytake.com/ms...2N18yMTM3NDQ4MHiya,

long time simmer/sub-simmer, first-time ..Cold Water(er)? Many things I need to figure out as I only bought it yesterday lol. Willing to figure it all out, but one thing I don't get and it's bugging me most. Once I've killed everything in the first mission (e.g. go to grid green 011 and sink all etc.) I hit the "exit", I look to see all my requirements are green and hit continue to get back onto the campaign screen. The first screen tells me I've done a great job etc and sunk this much but then the nxt screen says something like : "Great initiative, but you didn't complete the assigned mission" or some such.

Did I miss something? Am I supposed to patrol for more time in case something shows up in the battle area?
Cheers in advance for any tips.

"I said get in his baffles, not climb up his arse to see what had for elevenses"

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pic...ictureid=13124

Hey there! So, multiple units may pass through your patrol area, but only one will be the actual target. You have to fight them all, unfortunately, as there isn't a sure-fire way to determine which is the target. The target is usually illuminated a bit longer than the non-target contacts on the overworld map, however.

XonE:32 05-01-23 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aktungbby (Post 2865499)
XonE:32!:Kaleun_Salute:...after 14 years' 'silent running'!:up:

Heh! Thnx M8. been awhile since I was at the TDC. Haven't picked up WP just yet. On the list.

XonE:32 05-01-23 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FPSchazly (Post 2865552)
Hey there! So, multiple units may pass through your patrol area, but only one will be the actual target. You have to fight them all, unfortunately, as there isn't a sure-fire way to determine which is the target. The target is usually illuminated a bit longer than the non-target contacts on the overworld map, however.

Ahh, I see. That's interesting. I thought I'd killed everything. It didn't say (or I missed it) that something went "undetected".
Last night however, I got the same thing (I didn't complete the assigned mission), BUT on the tonnage page it DID say: 2 foxtrots killed but one went "undetected". I assume I should've trolled around for a bit to see if I could get it?
Thank you for the info. makes things a bit more clear as I did not see this info when I RTFM:up:

FPSchazly 05-02-23 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XonE:32 (Post 2865645)
Ahh, I see. That's interesting. I thought I'd killed everything. It didn't say (or I missed it) that something went "undetected".
Last night however, I got the same thing (I didn't complete the assigned mission), BUT on the tonnage page it DID say: 2 foxtrots killed but one went "undetected". I assume I should've trolled around for a bit to see if I could get it?
Thank you for the info. makes things a bit more clear as I did not see this info when I RTFM:up:

Oh, sorry, I misspoke. So, the map where you intercept enemy groups is what I was talking about, not when you're playing as a submarine in a battle against enemy units. So, multiple enemy groups may pass through your patrol area on the map but it's hard to tell which is which, so just engage them all (except of course if your target is a submarine group, you don't need to attack a surface group, etc.). In a battle against enemey units, if you sink greater than 50% of enemy contacts, you will be successful.

So, let's say your target is a group of guided missile submarines. An enemy group of submarines reaches your patrol area, you engage them in battle, and sink all targets: two Whiskeys and a Foxtrot. There obviously weren't any guided missile submarines in that group, so you sunk enemy ships, but didn't meet the objectives of your mission. You wait some more in your patrol area, and another submarine group passes through. You engage them and sink all contacts: a Whiskey and a Juliett guided missile submarine. In this instance, your debrief tells you good job and that you sunk your target. So, just keep engaging the specific type of enemy group on the map if they pass through your patrol area until you reach your objective. I hope that makes things clearer! Good hunting.

XonE:32 05-04-23 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FPSchazly (Post 2865808)
Oh, sorry, I misspoke. So, the map where you intercept enemy groups is what I was talking about, not when you're playing as a submarine in a battle against enemy units. So, multiple enemy groups may pass through your patrol area on the map but it's hard to tell which is which, so just engage them all (except of course if your target is a submarine group, you don't need to attack a surface group, etc.). In a battle against enemey units, if you sink greater than 50% of enemy contacts, you will be successful.

So, let's say your target is a group of guided missile submarines. An enemy group of submarines reaches your patrol area, you engage them in battle, and sink all targets: two Whiskeys and a Foxtrot. There obviously weren't any guided missile submarines in that group, so you sunk enemy ships, but didn't meet the objectives of your mission. You wait some more in your patrol area, and another submarine group passes through. You engage them and sink all contacts: a Whiskey and a Juliett guided missile submarine. In this instance, your debrief tells you good job and that you sunk your target. So, just keep engaging the specific type of enemy group on the map if they pass through your patrol area until you reach your objective. I hope that makes things clearer! Good hunting.

Tah. I def need to pay closer attention to the mission deets.