SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Aces of the Deep on an Android tablet. (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=194831)

Hinrich Schwab 04-30-12 05:06 PM

Aces of the Deep on an Android tablet.

I don't know if anyone else has tried it, but I just loaded DOSBox on my Eee Pad and dumped Aces of the Deep on it. It runs great and gives me an opportunity to get in on some old-school subsim goodness. :yeah:

Sailor Steve 04-30-12 05:39 PM

Absofragginlutely awesome! :rock:

I've had it on my XP PC for years. Sometimes you just have to have that wonderful gameplay, looks be hanged. :D :sunny:

Hinrich Schwab 04-30-12 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1877870)
Absofragginlutely awesome! :rock:

I've had it on my XP PC for years. Sometimes you just have to have that wonderful gameplay, looks be hanged. :D :sunny:

Yep. looks aren't as important as feel and function. BTW, I ran into one of those "bloodhound" destroyers you mentioned in one of my other threads. It was a Town Class Lend-Lease destroyer. He got a G7a/T1 down the throat at 3000m for his trouble. :arrgh!: Good thing too considering a premature told everyone and their brother where I was. :ping::damn:

Hitman 05-03-12 02:56 PM

Ha ha CATOD jumps another time barrier and makes its way into the latest technology :yeah: Isn't that telling of how ethernally good the game is? :rock:

Hinrich Schwab 05-04-12 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitman (Post 1879230)
Ha ha CATOD jumps another time barrier and makes its way into the latest technology :yeah: Isn't that telling of how ethernally good the game is? :rock:

Back in the day, Sierra/Dynamix always put out quality work. It is a shame I missed this game when it first came out, but I was too busy with Wolfenstein 3D and Doom.:D

Certain other companies (*cough* Ubisoft *cough*) could take a few lessons from this bygone company. :nope:

Sailor Steve 05-04-12 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinrich Schwab (Post 1879394)
Certain other companies (*cough* Ubisoft *cough*) could take a few lessons from this bygone company. :nope:

Back when SH3 was still in production and rumors were rife, someone here said he'd be happy with AOTD's gameplay coupled with SH2's graphics. I agreed. There are certain things I love about the newer games. Graphics aren't everything but I love the charm of leaving port and seeing all the ships going about their business. But when I'm actually at sea and hunting there is nothing that compares with good old Aces.

Hinrich Schwab 05-04-12 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1879502)
Back when SH3 was still in production and rumors were rife, someone here said he'd be happy with AOTD's gameplay coupled with SH2's graphics. I agreed.

As would I. Even though I caught it way late, I really liked both SH2 and DC. Other than AI and balance issues, we all know that its lack of a true dynamic career mode was its flaw. No sense in me saying anything beyond that because it has already been said years ago. :D

Hey Steve, since you have been about, I noticed that SH2 and DC use something called the "Janus Simulator Engine". Could you tell me a little more about that or direct me to a member of the Old Gang who would.