SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Is it EVER possible to model snow in our game? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163120)

Paul Riley 03-04-10 07:47 AM

Is it EVER possible to model snow in our game?

Good day.

I think I asked this question quite a while ago and I think other folk have also queried this,but is it EVER possible to model snow effects in SH3?.I am thinking it could somehow be modelled around the existing rain model,and work on that?.Ideally I am thinking all that would have to be done is to redraw the rain textures and make them white?.It really would be nice as my new mission at the moment is up near the Arctic routes.I am not bothered about having ice rendered on the deck but falling snow or even sleet would be fantastic.
A thought to some of you very skilled modders out there? :hmmm:
I appreciate it may be harder than I imagine,but from some of the mods i've already seen as far as affecting and even changing the environment entirely it should be no hassle at all?Take GWX3 for example,the sky and clouds have been completely redrawn and so has the sun and moon.

Cheers guys.

Hitman 03-04-10 08:33 AM

I know rain's colour, falling speed and density can be tweaked, what I don't know is if it is possible to replace the enlonged model with something that looks like a snow flake. :hmmm:

Paul Riley 03-04-10 08:39 AM

Hitman,

Give it a go,i'm sure you could come up with something? as I said,some of you are very talented modders :up:

flakmonkey 03-04-10 08:54 AM

Yes but you loose the rain.

Paul Riley 03-04-10 08:59 AM

Damn,thats a shame.Could you go into a bit of detail about how this can be done? :hmmm:
Thanks.

Sailor Steve 03-04-10 03:35 PM

I don't know how to model the different rain effects, but apparently there is only one file for precipitation. If you model it to look and act like snow, that's what you'll get any time it now rains.

I suppose that you could make different files and then use SH3 Commander's date-based randomizer to force it to change depending on the month.

Jimbuna 03-04-10 03:48 PM

As Steve said....you could well find yourself in the Indian ocean or some other hot area and snow would replace the rain.

This was once tried out by a colleague of mine and believe me, the visuals were laughable/totally unrealistic.

Iron Budokan 03-04-10 04:44 PM

Someone made a point in the SH5 forum that maybe software elements and coding could be brought from that game into SH3? If so then could you have snow?

Jimbuna 03-04-10 04:47 PM

I suppose it depends on the coding contained within SH5 really and whether it is compatable with that of SH3.

irish1958 03-04-10 05:18 PM

With SH3CMDR making the snow seasonal only in Winter is easy. Making Snow and ice on the subs is difficult.
There are a few old mods with ice on subs, but it never looked realistic and it was difficult to get the watch crew weatherized.

Paul Riley 03-05-10 06:08 AM

Thanks for the interest in the thread,at least some things are now cleared up.
However I still feel that snow effects and ice should have been included even in the stock version of the game,I mean the stories I have read about the perils on the Arctic routes :o ...the arcitc routes could have been made much more immersive :nope:

Cheers guys.

KL-alfman 03-05-10 02:00 PM

Paul, I think you are right.
snow and ice should have been integrated into an immersive game-play as a U-Boot sailing across the arctic routes.
getting only heavy rain (and no ice) in December 1941 at the coast of Iceland is (mayhaps) un-realistic.

Paul Riley 03-06-10 04:11 AM

Strange that the devs never included it in the game.
Oh well,im not gonna gripe for too long on this,the game is still fantastic! :D