SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   USA: Three Shot & Killed over Shoveling Snow (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=248384)

iambecomelife 02-05-21 03:15 AM

USA: Three Shot & Killed over Shoveling Snow

Do you politely settle your differences over something so trivial? No. You pull out an AR-15 and start shooting. Because you're a tough guy, you see.

There is an EXTREMELY graphic video of this killing available on the internet; I have not included it, moderators. This is just a news report. The reporter almost breaks down crying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIk11LdaLaw

This is why I am polite to my neighbors even when they are wrong and I am right. There are scum in this country who will flash their iron at you over anything. And now three people are dead. What a waste of life.

From the Post:

"Disturbing new video captured the dramatic clash between a man and his neighbors shoveling snow in Pennsylvania that escalated to a murder-suicide.

Surveillance footage showed the married couple yelling obscenities at the man before he grabs a gun and shoots them both in the middle of the street Monday morning in Plains Township."

Cybermat47 02-05-21 03:29 AM

Seems like the Goys were being pretty unreasonable, but nothing justifies Spaide murdering them. I would say that he had some pretty serious issues before this, and this was just the straw that broke the camel’s back. Someone in that state of mind shouldn’t have had access to firearms.

iambecomelife 02-05-21 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybermat47 (Post 2727478)
Seems like the Goys were being pretty unreasonable, but nothing justifies Spaide murdering them. I would say that he had some pretty serious issues before this, and this was just the straw that broke the camel’s back. Someone in that state of mind shouldn’t have had access to firearms.

Yeah. I feel so disgusted now. And it's not just this, it seems like everyone is so nasty and confrontational these days ... in any number of viral videos you see adults acting like babies, and being violent for no good reason.

Turns out the Goys had an autistic son, who is now orphaned. May his parents RIP.

Sonicfire1981 02-05-21 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iambecomelife (Post 2727479)
Yeah. I feel so disgusted now. And it's not just this, it seems like everyone is so nasty and confrontational these days ... in any number of viral videos you see adults acting like babies, and being violent for no good reason.

Turns out the Goys had an autistic son, who is now orphaned. May his parents RIP.

I do understand where your 2nd amendment comes from, but I wonder if it's such a good idea to cling to it. It's just a thought...

Skybird 02-05-21 07:39 AM

That's why its called "snowball fight".

3catcircus 02-05-21 07:50 AM

Quote:

I'm not suggesting someone deserves to be shot over some snow, but it begs the question of what their relationship with their neighbor was like before this.

I also have a difficult time understanding why (if the reporting is correct) the Goys would shovel snow *across* the road into a neighbor's yard? It sounds like they were the actual instigators and had an ongoing feud with him.

https://meaww.com/james-lisa-goy-jef...eaths-shootout

Based upon this news report, it may turn it to be that the Goys were sh!t neighbors and Spaide had had enough. I'm guessing we'll find out that the cops had been called multiple times in the past. Because that's usually how these things go - someone is antisocial, there is an argument, the cops come out and do nothing, it escalates into an ongoing blood-feud with the cops doing nothing each time they are called until one party snaps.

I think we're *more* unsafe now with all of our gun control laws than we were in the "wild" west when most places had no gun control whatsoever - you'd be safer in 1870s Kansas than 2021 Chicago...

Jimbuna 02-05-21 08:59 AM

Tragic ans senseless :nope:

Onkel Neal 02-05-21 01:34 PM

From the mayhem that preceded the shooting (which in NO way do I condone), the two neighbors weren't angels.

Quote:

“If you step out of here, I’ll knock your a– out,” the male neighbor can be heard saying to the shooter.

Police said Jeffrey Spaide, 47, shot dead his neighbors, James Goy, 50, and his wife, Lisa, 48, after arguing about shoveling snow onto each other’s property.

“I’ll make your life a living hell living here, d–khead,” James can be heard shouting, to which Spaide responds, “What? … F–k you, you f–king scum.”

James’ wife, who is carrying a shovel, then chimes in, “You’re the f–king scumbag. You don’t know how to talk to somebody.”

“That’s right … You’re a p—y, p—y, p—y,” her husband continues while flipping off the man.
I mean, you challenge someone to a fight in the middle of the street... Not smart. People do snap.

Video: https://nypost.com/2021/02/04/video-...urder-suicide/

Skybird 02-05-21 07:46 PM

Case promoted from "snowball fight" to "screwball comedy" then.

bstanko6 02-05-21 10:01 PM

I saw that. Completely horrific.

3catcircus 02-07-21 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2727642)
From the mayhem that preceded the shooting (which in NO way do I condone), the two neighbors weren't angels.

I mean, you challenge someone to a fight in the middle of the street... Not smart. People do snap.

Video: https://nypost.com/2021/02/04/video-...urder-suicide/

Unfortunately, modern society looks at the Goys as if they are victims instead of equally at fault. If this was the "wild west," I'm sure witnesses would be testifying as to their instigation and Spaide likely would have been cleared of wrongdoing or would have been found guilty of a lesser crime. Perhaps if *that* type of result happened more often nowadays, people would be more neighborly...

Instead, we have people who continue to verbally and physically abuse others with seemingly no repercussions from the law until such time that the person on the receiving end snaps.

skidman 02-07-21 04:11 PM

Firearms and a lack of impulse control is a deadly mélange. And defending the shooter and blaming the victims is a true sign of insanity.

d@rk51d3 02-07-21 04:30 PM

Don’t bring a snow shovel to a gunfight.

GoldenRivet 02-07-21 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iambecomelife (Post 2727475)
You pull out an AR-15

source?

reports i have read indicate its a hand gun that was used

or is this another case out of the "always assume its an AR-15" playbook?

Quote:

it seems like everyone is so nasty and confrontational these days ... in any number of viral videos

people have always been garbage.

they have always beat each other up over cabage patch dolls and christmas decorations and snow shovels and your fence is too close to my driveway blah blah blah

the thing of it is... we didnt always have "viral videos"

the world hasnt gotten crappier, people havnt gotten worse

we just all share a much smaller planet now

3catcircus 02-07-21 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidman (Post 2728365)
Firearms and a lack of impulse control is a deadly mélange. And defending the shooter and blaming the victims is a true sign of insanity.

So you are saying that the Goys should have been allowed to continue their verbal abuse of Spaide and tossing of snow into his yard unmolested?

No one is defending what he did, but many of us who understand modern US civilization understand exactly what happened and why.