SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Man I STILL Love this GAME!!!!!!! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=200564)

Hawk U-375 12-13-12 08:30 AM

Man I STILL Love this GAME!!!!!!!

The Hours and Hours of playing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR5mupsV7OY

:rock::Kaleun_Periskop::Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

Gerald 12-13-12 09:18 AM

:salute:

Sailor Steve 12-13-12 01:04 PM

I still play it on a fairly regualar basis.

Hawk U-375 12-13-12 03:15 PM

How Steve? On an older Rig?...My current one can't :(

Onkel Neal 12-13-12 11:49 PM

Awesome video, thanks for finding!

Red October1984 12-14-12 12:10 AM

I enjoy it too. Play it every once in a while on DOSBox. I like the first Silent Hunter too... :salute:

Sailor Steve 12-14-12 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk U-375 (Post 1975267)

DosBox.
http://www.dosbox.com/

Dan D 12-14-12 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk U-375 (Post 1975267)

I have the game running on windows 7. Windows 7 can emulate an older rig to allow older software to remain compatible with the newer hardware/software.

I don't know, if older windows versions have that software mechanism called "compatibility mode", too. You might ask other members here on the forum about that.

If you use windows 7, try this: install game, right-click on game icon, select "Properties", select "Compatibility"", there you can emulate the earlier windows version that you need to be able to play the game.

Mork_417 12-14-12 07:14 AM

Yes, nice find! :up:

Hawk U-375 12-14-12 07:29 AM

Thanks Everyone!!!!!!!!! Will try it out!:yeah:

Dan D 12-14-12 08:49 AM

:salute: I would love to hear if it helped you.

Onkel Neal 12-14-12 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan D (Post 1975503)
I have the game running on windows 7. Windows 7 can emulate an older rig to allow older software to remain compatible with the newer hardware/software.

I don't know, if older windows versions have that software mechanism called "compatibility mode", too. You might ask other members here on the forum about that.

If you use windows 7, try this: install game, right-click on game icon, select "Properties", select "Compatibility"", there you can emulate the earlier windows version that you need to be able to play the game.

Dan, do you find Win7 works for most older games? Are there any you cannot get to work in Win7? Sub Command, Dangerous Waters, SH3, SH4 ?

If Win 7 is this friendly to recent/old games, I may upgrade.

Dan D 12-14-12 03:03 PM

Neal, I can't answer your question as I have windows 7 installed only on a low-powered netbook which I think can't handle games bigger than CAOD. I have never tried to run other games on that netbook.

But I am as curious as you are whether the compatibility mode offers the all-round solution to get old games running that nobody has every heard off.

People never seem to talk about that feature of windows 7 and I keep asking myself why. It it because it is largely unknown or because it is known to be not working well?

I wonder what experiences other people have made with the compatibility mode.

You, Neal, are asking the right questions:

"...do you find Win7 works for most older games? Are there any you cannot get to work in Win7? Sub Command, Dangerous Waters, SH3, SH4 ?"

RickC Sniper 01-04-13 07:24 PM

I have AOD running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Compatibility mode isn't even checked and it works quite well. It only required Admin rights on the shortcut. (From Nipplespanner's .exe here in this forum.)

SH3 won't run for me for some reason. SH4 - no problem at all.

On my Win 7 rig I have these installed and running very well:

Command & Conquer, The First Decade (all the old C&C games from the first one on run well with this First Decade version)
Railroad Tycoon 3
Lords of the Realm II
Trophy Hunter 2003 (from Disk) (Deer Hunter 2005 failed)
X-Com UFO Defense
Sid Meier's Gettysburg (from disk)
Sid Meier's Pirates (installed from disk)
Age of Empires

(some reset my color scheme to windows basic on launch but it just resets itself when closing the game)
There is no rule of thumb, old games will often run but I do a search to see if\how others got it to run if I couldn't. Good old games (gog.com is also a good resource to repurchase an oldie because they go into the programming so they will run on modern machines.

RickC Sniper 01-04-13 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1975616)

If Win 7 is this friendly to recent/old games, I may upgrade.

Windows 7 is a GREAT OS, and some oldies like X-Com run better on Win 7 than my laptop with Windows XP on it. I don't have a clue why.

SOME, however, will run on XP and I just can't get them to go on Win7.

Why not a dual boot? Odds are you would have to give SOMETHING up.