SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

THE_MASK 03-21-15 05:34 AM

Any problems with the tonnage bar filling up with this mod list ?

vdr1981 03-21-15 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sober (Post 2299309)
Any problems with the tonnage bar filling up with this mod list ?

Ahoy Sober! Welcome back! :salute:

I seems that problem is not modlist/snapshot related. It's completely random, some people have it, some don't...

Kumando 03-21-15 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2299298)
Regarding optional patrol grid missions I've noticed that they can't be completed if I save and reload the game AFTER I enter patrol zone area (in the Atlantic is 200km radius zone for 72 hours ). If I spend 72 hours in the zone without save /reload then mission will be accomplished and I'll be reassigned to another patrol area , maximum is three times...

Any chance of fixing that someday?

Koranis 03-21-15 10:57 PM

Hello,

I have a little problem. I chose a mission and it directed me to AN1814 patrol area.

First, I just see AN18 grid with no second pair of numbers visible anywhere, so I don't know where to look for the "14". In other words, I can get to AN18 easily, but I don't know where to look for AN1814.

Second, if I click on the "mission icon" nothing happens. While in the bunker it showed the location I was supposed to get but once in the boat clicking on the same icon has effect.

I'm not very expert at modding so I'm using Wolves of Steel megamod.

I've just sunk 2 ships within AN18 area but the objectives still show as incomplete.

What should I do?

EDIT: I've published the same post in Open Horizon II thread. My apologies but I do not know where this issue belongs.

kevinsue 03-22-15 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2299298)

And for your second problem , could you upload for me your last game save folder from Documents/SH5/data/cfg/ SaveGames?

Unfortunately I deleted all of my previous save games when I started my current patrol.

I try to keep the number of save games to a minimum as twice on previous patrols, (once prior to installing TWOS, and once after), all save games including autosave became corrupted after a certain point and would CTD when trying to load.

On both occasions that this happened, the two things common were: many save games and also an uncredited plane crash in the area.

Not sure if it was the number of saves or the crashed plane (saved well out of visual range) or both that caused the corruption, but after going back and finding a previous save that loaded and deleting the saves prior to and after,(and staying out of sight of any aircraft that might decide to crash just for the hell of it) the game seemed to work normally again.

With regard to the Tonnage bar and Campaign progression, has anybody just used the "Continue Campaign" option exclusively to reload their game from the start?

The reason I ask is that I decided to use this option on one patrol for the sake of "realism" instead of Sober's "Dead is dead" mod (which I gather is completely terminal):dead:

Everything including Tonnage bar, reposition orders etc was working perfectly until I decided to see if my Flack gunner had shown any signs of improvement after his promotion, by staying on the surface during an air attack.

Unfortunately for the the crew and I, he was still as useless as tits on a bull and we were promptly dispatched to the seabed on short notice with the autosave deciding to do it's thing right then. Lying on the ocean bottom, with batteries and anything else able to help us back to the surface ruined, boat full of smoke, sparks and seawater and all the crew flatly refusing to lift a finger to help including the cook,:mad: my resolve started to weaken and instead dying and becoming born again with a new career, I decided to load my save game!!

From that point on, all of the campaign progress automation stopped working. This game has so many files duplicated and triplicated throughout the various folders, I'm wondering if there is some other linkage to campaign progression that is now being bypassed with normal game saves under certain conditions that has been introduced by some small, inadvertent change somewhere within the file structure.

When I start my next patrol, I'm going to just use the "Continue Campaign" option to load the game and see if anything in the aforementioned observation is repeatable.

BTW....Fantastic to see Sober, Gap, Stormy and TDW visiting this forum during the past couple of days!!!:yeah:

kevinsue 03-22-15 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koranis (Post 2299661)
Hello,

I have a little problem. I chose a mission and it directed me to AN1814 patrol area.

First, I just see AN18 grid with no second pair of numbers visible anywhere, so I don't know where to look for the "14". In other words, I can get to AN18 easily, but I don't know where to look for AN1814.

Second, if I click on the "mission icon" nothing happens. While in the bunker it showed the location I was supposed to get but once in the boat clicking on the same icon has effect.

I'm not very expert at modding so I'm using Wolves of Steel megamod.

I've just sunk 2 ships within AN18 area but the objectives still show as incomplete.

What should I do?

EDIT: I've published the same post in Open Horizon II thread. My apologies but I do not know where this issue belongs.

You can press the "E" key or use the icon for charts in the upper RH UI to bring up the "User Charts" options dialogue. Scroll through to the Maps option, select this, and then select the grid overlay by scrolling through the lower options box.

Drag the Grid overlay onto the chart over the AN18 grid and zoom the nav chart until AN18 grid and the grid overlay are both roughly the same size. Use the drag feature on the edge of the overlay then to drag the edges to match the edges of the nav chart grid. You now have the position of your second group of digits.

I normally then grab the marker tool, place it over the required position then use the "E" key again to switch off the overlay so that you can use the marker to put an x on the desired spot. Grab the compass tool and draw a circle from that mark out to the required radius (80~200 klm?). You now have you patrol boundaries:up:

As for the incomplete objectives, vdr1981 has posted an explanation on how this works and a workaround a couple of posts back.

Alexsej 03-22-15 06:24 AM

manual

I'am playing this mod for first time. How do you open ships recognizer manual??

kevinsue 03-22-15 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexsej (Post 2299712)
I'am playing this mod for first time. How do you open ships recognizer manual??

Use the "E" key, then grab the tab sticking out halfway up the left side of your screen and pull the Recon Manual out. Click on the categories arrow to whatever you want to look at then click on the cover to open...

Koranis 03-22-15 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinsue (Post 2299678)
You can press the "E" key or use the icon for charts in the upper RH UI to bring up the "User Charts" options dialogue. Scroll through to the Maps option, select this, and then select the grid overlay by scrolling through the lower options box.

Drag the Grid overlay onto the chart over the AN18 grid and zoom the nav chart until AN18 grid and the grid overlay are both roughly the same size. Use the drag feature on the edge of the overlay then to drag the edges to match the edges of the nav chart grid. You now have the position of your second group of digits.

I normally then grab the marker tool, place it over the required position then use the "E" key again to switch off the overlay so that you can use the marker to put an x on the desired spot. Grab the compass tool and draw a circle from that mark out to the required radius (80~200 klm?). You now have you patrol boundaries:up:

As for the incomplete objectives, vdr1981 has posted an explanation on how this works and a workaround a couple of posts back.

Wow, I didn't know there were so many hidden charts!! Thank you!

As for the incomplete objectives, I thought vdr1981 was referring to strategic objectives, like "Eastern British Coastal Waters", not tactical ones like, like "Patrol this area."

alber99 03-22-15 08:20 AM

Great work. Thank you very much. :up:

Jimbuna 03-22-15 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alber99 (Post 2299792)
Great work. Thank you very much. :up:

Welcome Aboard :sunny:

THEBERBSTER 03-22-15 11:34 AM

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > alber99 :subsim:
You Will Always Find Someone Here To Help You :sunny:
New To Silent Hunter <> Need Help <> Click On My Thread Link. :salute:
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community :yeah:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2033119%23post2033119

Having Tonnage Bar Problems Then You Need My Tutorial Post #188 :/\\!!

THEBERBSTER is on SUBSIM TeamSpeak3Server for Vocal or Text Chat :up:

vdr1981 03-22-15 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinsue (Post 2299676)

On both occasions that this happened, the two things common were: many save games and also an uncredited plane crash in the area.

Not sure if it was the number of saves or the crashed plane (saved well out of visual range) or both that caused the corruption, but after going back and finding a previous save that loaded and deleting the saves prior to and after,(and staying out of sight of any aircraft that might decide to crash just for the hell of it) the game seemed to work normally again.

With regard to the Tonnage bar and Campaign progression, has anybody just used the "Continue Campaign" option exclusively to reload their game from the start?

The reason I ask is that I decided to use this option on one patrol for the sake of "realism" instead of Sober's "Dead is dead" mod (which I gather is completely terminal):dead:

Everything including Tonnage bar, reposition orders etc was working perfectly until I decided to see if my Flack gunner had shown any signs of improvement after his promotion, by staying on the surface during an air attack.

Unfortunately for the the crew and I, he was still as useless as tits on a bull and we were promptly dispatched to the seabed on short notice with the autosave deciding to do it's thing right then. Lying on the ocean bottom, with batteries and anything else able to help us back to the surface ruined, boat full of smoke, sparks and seawater and all the crew flatly refusing to lift a finger to help including the cook,:mad: my resolve started to weaken and instead dying and becoming born again with a new career, I decided to load my save game!!

From that point on, all of the campaign progress automation stopped working. This game has so many files duplicated and triplicated throughout the various folders, I'm wondering if there is some other linkage to campaign progression that is now being bypassed with normal game saves under certain conditions that has been introduced by some small, inadvertent change somewhere within the file structure.

When I start my next patrol, I'm going to just use the "Continue Campaign" option to load the game and see if anything in the aforementioned observation is repeatable.

BTW....Fantastic to see Sober, Gap, Stormy and TDW visiting this forum during the past couple of days!!!:yeah:

I can confirm that too... Yesterday , I was attacked by Swordfish airplane, I managed to destroy him but plane crashed on top of the submarine and damaged my U-boat badly... I saved the game 10-15 km from that location but save become corrupted, CTD in the middle of loading progress. Fortunately, my previous manual and clean game save from few hours before worked just fine and I was able to continue mu campaign without any problems.

With such complex gamesaves as Sileent hunter's, it's really important to keep them , like sober said, as clean as possible, on the surface and without units (especially damaged or destroyed) in your rendering area which is 60 km around the player's sub in TWoS.

If you decide to use only "continue campaign" feature that means that game will always load your last gamesave, manual or automatic, so make sure to always manually make clean gamesave before you decide to exit the game.

It's not good at all to use continue campaign if your last gamesave is autosave from some skirmish ...

I've updated my tips for stable gameplay, make sure to follow those notes and you'll have stable (enough) gameplay to enjoy campaign to the end of the war. For example, I've managed to finish, first two campaigns (Total Germany and Happy Times) with something like 180.000 tons and with only one random CTD and you should know that most of current day smart phones are more powerful then my PC...(AMD Athlon 5000+, 4GB DDR2, 8800GT)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2165721)
Tips for stable gameplay:

- DO NOT add any additional mods if you are not 100% sure what you are doing! Especially not the mods which contains sim files...
- Avoid using autosave gamesaves. They become easily corrupted.
- Never overwrite old/previous game saves. Always make a new one...
- Keep your gamesaves clean. Try not to save game with AI or destroyed/damaged (especially airplanes) units in your rendering area. (60 km around the sub)
- Occasional save and complete restart of the game during long patrols is highly recommended (at least 5-6 game restarts per patrol)!
- Game save with complete restart of the game at the beginning and at the end of each patrol (approx. 100-200 Km from home port) is recommended. This will improve game stability and further reduce number of random CTD's.
- Avoid gamesaving and using high time compression while bunch of things is happening around you, let's say 32/64 at max (deck gun attack, attacking large convoys, approaching ports ect...).
- I'm not 100% sure about this but it seems that SH3 user interface is more stable then SH5 interface. You can switch this using TDW Options File Editor.
- When things seem quite, surface the boat, recharge your batteries, load torpedoes and...save the game... (You can prepare special meal for your crew as well);)

Alexsej 03-22-15 02:46 PM

After Danzig bay - danzig bay again

After I finished 1st mission Danzig bay and port in Kiel, the second mission I get Danzig bay again. Is that normal in this mod or is it some kind of bug?

THEBERBSTER 03-22-15 03:47 PM

Hi Alexsej

All Missions are date controlled.

In other words they come on and drop off the navigation map depending on their start and finish date.

See my tutorial post for the dates and other information Post #64.

If you finish your Baltic Mission early you will not see or be able to select Eastern (British Coastal Waters) until the 4th of September.

Peter