SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

vdr1981 12-04-15 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2363546)
@ Vecko

My patch is ready. Can you answer this question please? :03:

:up:
I just want to see it's appearance in the game...:yep:

gap 12-04-15 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2363548)
I just want to see it's appearance in the game...:yep:

Okay, now I got you: I wanted to know if you needed for any special sizes :03:

gap 12-04-15 09:35 AM

Revised floating-working bunker:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gd...tillery_GR2.7z

I think it looks much better now. :sunny:

Please note also that now bunker, sandbags and ammo boxes should be liable to collision/damage, though I have not extensively tested this feature yet (new zones settings might require some fine-tuning for optimal results). Talking about it, can you please set two missions -one with a few stukas and a bunker, and the other one with an unarmed bunker at close range for deckgun shooting drills- and tell me what happens? I am especially curious to know if sandbags and ammo boxes are going to take damage. They are not especially important to this mod, but we might need for collisionable/damageable GR2 objects to be used with future mods, and I am a little afraid we will be forced to use dat objects instead due to the current GR2 Editor limitation that I said a few days ago :hmmm:

Next task on my to-do list: the modified platform you have requested, better platform textures, and checking if we can link the platform directly to the bunker model (through Y bone) without loss of gun functionality. If that was possible, it would make your campaign updates a lot easier. :)

THEBERBSTER 12-05-15 06:14 AM

Hi Vecko

Have you ever thought about being able to include a gramophone shufffler in TWOS.

Peter

gap 12-05-15 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER (Post 2363747)
Have you ever thought about being able to include a gramophone shufffler in TWOS.

http://www.howtogeek.com/57661/stupi...n-a-directory/ :03:

vdr1981 12-05-15 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2363567)
Revised floating-working bunker:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gd...tillery_GR2.7z

I think it looks much better now. :sunny:

Please note also that now bunker, sandbags and ammo boxes should be liable to collision/damage, though I have not extensively tested this feature yet (new zones settings might require some fine-tuning for optimal results). Talking about it, can you please set two missions -one with a few stukas and a bunker, and the other one with an unarmed bunker at close range for deckgun shooting drills- and tell me what happens? I am especially curious to know if sandbags and ammo boxes are going to take damage. They are not especially important to this mod, but we might need for collisionable/damageable GR2 objects to be used with future mods, and I am a little afraid we will be forced to use dat objects instead due to the current GR2 Editor limitation that I said a few days ago :hmmm:

Next task on my to-do list: the modified platform you have requested, better platform textures, and checking if we can link the platform directly to the bunker model (through Y bone) without loss of gun functionality. If that was possible, it would make your campaign updates a lot easier. :)

Sry for late replay Gap!
They look much better now, indeed...:yep:

I'll test damage model later, I hope they wont sink...:D

EDIT:

And damage model looks and works really nice too...
Sandbags and crates can be destroyed, explosion effects are there and even gun is blocked after enough damage is acumulated. :yep:
Crippled unit/bunker will however stay alive which is better because it will not be removed from the game after save /reload...:yep:

gap 12-05-15 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2363763)
Sry for late replay Gap!
They look much better now, indeed...:yep:

Have you compared bunker's appearance with and without low resolution textures? I hope the small textures don't look too dull...

Quote:

And damage model looks and works really nice too...
Sandbags and crates can be destroyed, explosion effects are there and even gun is blocked after enough damage is acumulated. :yep:

Excellent :woot:

I set the ammo box zone as crytical, simulating that when boxes explode there's a chance that gun crew is killed and/or they have no ammunition available to fire. Not sure if this setting actually works though, as it might require being applied to special zone types.

On an unrelated note, one of these days I need to import a bomb/torpedo/mine in a GR2 file and see if they work. Still wondering why Targor's fine mine model refused to explode on impact :hmmm:

Quote:

Crippled unit/bunker will however stay alive which is better because it will not be removed from the game after save /reload...:yep:

The way it was meant. I have set the rebound coefficient to nearly 0, and made the bunker very stable. Is pitch and roll noticeable during explosions or on bomb/shell impact?

P.S: the new platforms with better textures look very nice. More on them later ;-)

vdr1981 12-05-15 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2363787)

P.S: the new platforms with better textures look very nice. More on them later ;-)

Both textures are just fine, no need for higher resolutions (this is not first person shooter after all :))
Shaking is barely noticeable...

If you could come up with some platform shape which could look "natural" in both situations when bunker has to be placed closer and further away from the shoreline...:hmmm: That would be "direct hit"...:yep:

gap 12-05-15 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2363814)
Both textures are just fine, no need for higher resolutions (this is not first person shooter after all :))

Platform walls look quite poor when looked from close distance. The new textures will look much better, with little or no impact at all on game performance :03:

Quote:

Shaking is barely noticeable...

Quote:

If you could come up with some platform shape which could look "natural" in both situations when bunker has to be placed closer and further away from the shoreline...:hmmm: That would be "direct hit"...:yep:

The best would be a platform mimicing a portion of shore, maybe in two versions: sandy and rocky :hmm2:

vdr1981 12-05-15 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2363825)
Platform walls look quite poor when looked from close distance. The new textures will look much better, with little or no impact at all on game performance :03:

OK , I was talking about bunker textures...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2363825)
The best would be a platform mimicing a portion of shore, maybe in two versions: sandy and rocky :hmm2:

I agree that could look very nice and cool but dont forget that sometimes bunker will have to be placed more than 100m from the coast in order to make it functional. If you could come up with such generic coastal shape which could "fit" nicely if bunker is placed 50 or 150m (or more) of the shore, that would be truly excellent...
But if not, you are risking to invest a lot of hard work in something which will look strange and you may not like it...

In my opinion, the best solution would be some kind of generic concrete platform extended at one end so I could use it regardless of bunker distance.
I'm still struggling to come up with what would that shape look alike though, but I'm pretty much sure that it will look like last platform which I was asking from you...:yep:

gap 12-05-15 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2363832)
OK , I was talking about bunker textures...

Oh, talking about bunker, sandbags and and boxes I was asking if the new lower resolution textures look decent. For reference, I have put the original resolution textures in a separate folder which can be enabled as a mod through JSGME. :)

Quote:

I agree that could look very nice and cool but dont forget that sometimes bunker will have to be placed more than 100m from the coast in order to make it functional. If you could come up with such generic coastal shape which could "fit" nicely if bunker is placed 50 or 150m (or more) of the shore, that would be truly excellent...
But if not, you are risking to invest a lot of hard work in something which will look strange and you may not like it...

It is just a matter of sizes. Creating a 150 m-long, more or less flat surface, sloping under the sea level towards its ends, and then mapping a sand texture on top of it shouldn't pose big problems :03:

Quote:

In my opinion, the best solution would be some kind of generic concrete platform extended at one end so I could use it regardless of bunker distance.
I'm still struggling to come up with what would that shape look alike though, but I'm pretty much sure that it will look like last platform which I was asking from you...:yep:

Either shape (V or U) should work. Again, it is just a matter of sizes. That's why I asked you if you ad any special size in mind. Anyway, both the V-shaped platform (that you already have on your HD) and the U-shaped one (that I am still workin on), are 450m-long on their long axis. Much longer than you actually need. :yep:

vdr1981 12-05-15 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2363843)
It is just a matter of sizes. Creating a 150 m-long, more or less flat surface, sloping under the sea level towards its ends, and then mapping a sand texture on top of it shouldn't pose big problems :03:

OK OK, no problems, I'm just saying...More platforms to chose is even better...:up:

However, I'll have to start placing bunkers in mission layer on their definite positions because my days off are slowly slipping away...:wah: Any later 3D models replacing or anything I'll do with text editor...:yep:

gap 12-05-15 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2363848)
OK OK, no problems, I'm just saying...More platforms to chose is even better...:up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2363848)
However, I'll have to start placing bunkers in mission layer on their definite positions because my days off are slowly slipping away...:wah: Any later 3D models replacing or anything I'll do with text editor...:yep:

Okay. Today I have an horrible headache (too much time spent in front of a screen) and I doubt I will finish my work on the new platforms. Hopefully tomorrow I will send you what I have ready for you. As I wrote afew posts back, I hope we can link the platforms directly to the bunker models, through equipment files. Thisn way you won't need to match bunker's and platform's position, and you will be able to switch from a platform to the other simply by having several copies of the main bunker with different equipment files. :salute:

vdr1981 12-05-15 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2363851)

Okay. Today I have an horrible headache (too much time spent in front of a screen) and I doubt I will finish my work on the new platforms. Hopefully tomorrow I will send you what I have ready for you. As I wrote afew posts back, I hope we can link the platforms directly to the bunker models, through equipment files. Thisn way you won't need to match bunker's and platform's position, and you will be able to switch from a platform to the other simply by having several copies of the main bunker with different equipment files. :salute:

Copy that...Take your time...:yeah:

vdr1981 12-05-15 06:58 PM

Hehe, bunker is not reported anymore like "warship" both by watch crew and hydrophone... Here's how, but don't ask me why...:) (probably because if all values are 0, the game will register it as 100% of rpm, engine pwr and speed, and therefore report it like "contact, moving fast"...)

http://s6.postimg.org/jykwi692p/Capt...2p/Capture.jpg

Also, surface draught must have some value...Otherwise, there's high chance that game will spawn the unit submerged (remember deck awash ships in ports and convoys) ...