SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

vdr1981 05-20-19 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nervi (Post 2610332)
The Wolves of Steel 2.2_SH5 Exp.Pack_v2.2.12_Full (2.05 GB) file i downloaded

I dont use antivirus, I use addware removal software that is always disabled until i need it, I uninstalled it just to try something new, same result, after the installation progress bar goes to full, and i'm supposed to get all this steam and GFP stuff the process stops on this "Some installation files are corrupt." message

https://i.imgur.com/FxoLnRI.jpg?1

It could be that your game installation path is too "deep"? C/Program files/games/...bla /bla...

nervi 05-20-19 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2610382)
It could be that your game installation path is too "deep"? C/Program files/games/...bla /bla...

I tried a fresh install in the disk's root, c:/silent hunter 5, same message unfortunately, thanks for all the suggestions and help, very appreciated guys.

THEBERBSTER 05-20-19 04:36 PM

Hi nervi
Installation is C:\ not C:/
While you may not be using anti-virus you will have a firewall and also Windows defender probably active.
Peter

nervi 05-21-19 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER (Post 2610430)
Hi nervi
Installation is C:\ not C:/
While you may not be using anti-virus you will have a firewall and also Windows defender probably active.
Peter

Well \ yeah, that's written automatically by the installer, I just typed it here in a rush.
I don't use either firewall or windows defender at all, I don't like intrusive "security" software of that kind, I know how not to get infected.
I'll install oracle and try to download the installer from there incase it's chrome, which I doubt, for some reason the installer corrupts itself either in the download or the install phase.

Edit: nah, same result :/

vdr1981 05-21-19 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nervi (Post 2610604)
Well \ yeah, that's written automatically by the installer, I just typed it here in a rush.
I don't use either firewall or windows defender at all, I don't like intrusive "security" software of that kind, I know how not to get infected.
I'll install oracle and try to download the installer from there incase it's chrome, which I doubt, for some reason the installer corrupts itself either in the download or the install phase.

Edit: nah, same result :/

I re-downloaded and retested the installer once again today and everything was fine. No idea what is going on...What right click-properties on the installer says?

nervi 05-21-19 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2610615)
I re-downloaded and retested the installer once again today and everything was fine. No idea what is going on...What right click-properties on the installer says?

I caught a few errors like this in the final part of the instalation too

https://i.ibb.co/DWDKVDG/a2.png

vdr1981 05-22-19 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nervi (Post 2610654)
I caught a few errors like this in the final part of the instalation too

https://i.ibb.co/DWDKVDG/a2.png

Try installer for v2.2.0 http://www.mediafire.com/file/87kc1x...2.2.0_Full.exe

... and then apply v2.2.12 update...http://www.mediafire.com/file/rm5cl3...te_v2.2.12.exe

clayton 05-22-19 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2610065)
I'm not sure what kind of AI settings would be appropriate for you but I hope you'll manage to achieve it in your modlist. I personally don't think that AI in TWoS have "magic eyes". You also said that IRAI airplanes are too "eficient" ?! I couldn't disagree more...
Anyway, dumbing down AI performances in order to allow quick, reckless gameplay and easy tonnage is really not my style.

Two kinds of players...
Those that like to play an historical simulation, and those who like the challenge of getting spotted and chased relentlessly in 1939.
That's why I could never get into your mod, dude.
I read somewhere about someone editing the AI so its more realistic. Gonna have to look that up.
Take care

nervi 05-22-19 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2610702)

Installed without issue, just like it says in the manual, the update aswell, I choosed a few and all went good, time to test ingame.

Thanks a bunch :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

vdr1981 05-22-19 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nervi (Post 2610729)
Installed without issue, just like it says in the manual, the update aswell, I choosed a few and all went good, time to test ingame.

Thanks a bunch :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

Great! :up: Now all you have to do is to fire up Generic Patcher once again and to restore the snapshot one more time in order to activate some changes from the update. :yep: And thank you very much for your donation mate! :salute:

XenonSurf 05-22-19 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayton (Post 2610719)
Two kinds of players...
Those that like to play an historical simulation, and those who like the challenge of getting spotted and chased relentlessly in 1939.
That's why I could never get into your mod, dude.
I read somewhere about someone editing the AI so its more realistic. Gonna have to look that up.
Take care

@Veko,
@ Clayton,

tweaking the difficulty of TwoS is difficult and a balancing act. What I did is making the submarine more resistant without changing the weapon effectivness of enemy assets by incresing the Hitpoints of the R.S.D. mod. The IRAI part of WoS (and my personal modlist) only accounts for sensors, visual or mechanical sensors (hydrophones, Radar...) where you can lower or rise their effectiveness making the game easier or more difficult for you. I have now made an EASY and MEDIUM setting by changing the sensor range from its default 0.85-1.0 into:

Easy: 0.60-0.88
Medium: 0.75-0.95

I'm currently testing this.
For the R.S.D mod I have added a 'LESS DAMAGE' sub-mod which tweaks all hitpoints up to 200 to add 1/2 the difference to 200, and keep all values from 200 and above unchanged. The results are good but still the 'Regelzellen' get damaged too often, so I still need to tweak. I would like to have a more 'random' damage distribution when getting attacked, but that's impossible I think.

Eventually, when I see that it doesn't get too damn easy, I will release these mods as compatible TWoS mods so people can enjoy an easier TWoS game if they want. Currently there are some compatible mods for WoS not included in the package which adjust WoS in different parts, for example the mod 'Critical Hits' which gives you again a powerful deck gun, and other ones.

Essentially, I don't think that Realism and Expert difficulty should be the main part of WoS, SH5 should remain a game IMO, but it's the modmaker to decide and the players to mod if they don't like :)
And that's what I do. Besides, Clayton, you can load my modlist once it's free to download, it's not WoS but more oriented to a perfectly working vanilla game with many extra features. And there are other modlist proposals too in the SH5 forum.

Greetings,
XS

vdr1981 05-22-19 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenonSurf (Post 2610737)
Eventually, when I see that it doesn't get too damn easy, I will release these mods as compatible TWoS mods so people can enjoy an easier TWoS game if they want.

That's good to know but I'm afraid that your unofficial addon won't be fully compatible with TWoS, especially if you are dealing with stock RSD and IRAI files which have number of hidden problems. Yes, I stopped supporting individual mods long time ago...:yep:
You should be aware that you will probably, along with your tweaks, also bring back a number of very hard to catch problems and CTD scenarios which I fixed in TWoS long time ago. :yep:

Quote:

Currently there are some compatible mods for WoS not included in the package which adjust WoS in different parts, for example the mod 'Critical Hits' which gives you again a powerful deck gun, and other ones.
It's basically a cheat mod which will unrealistically pump-up strength of your deck gun shells... Good for fun but not really TWoS material...

XenonSurf 05-22-19 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2610756)
That's good to know but I'm afraid that your unofficial addon won't be fully compatible with TWoS, especially if you are dealing with stock RSD and IRAI files which have number of hidden problems. Yes, I stopped supporting individual mods long time ago...:yep:
You should be aware that you will probably, along with your tweaks, also bring back a number of very hard to catch problems and CTD scenarios which I fixed in TWoS long time ago. :yep:

It's basically a cheat mod which will unrealistically pump-up strength of your deck gun shells... Good for fun but not really TWoS material...

Yes I'm aware of that, and that's why I will only add these sub-mods to my modlist and nowhere else at the moment, so I will not tell players to blindly use them with WoS, although my RSD tweaks are based on WoS 2.2.10 files (I have changed all stock RSD with the corrisponding WoS files) and all shows to be very stable, well, for the moment :)

vdr1981 05-22-19 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenonSurf (Post 2610767)
...although my RSD tweaks are based on WoS 2.2.10 files

This also my concern...This means that your tweaks are already two versions old. The files you used are still (probably) the same but that will certainly change in the future because I'm frequently maintain and updating this expansion . You'll have to be very thorough in order to achieve and preserve so called "TWoS compatible" status.

Otherwise, this will be yet another user created "TWoS compatible" mod which brings more troubles than the good stuff. This is seen so many times before...

clayton 05-22-19 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenonSurf (Post 2610737)
@Veko,
@ Clayton,

tweaking the difficulty of TwoS is difficult and a balancing act. What I did is making the submarine more resistant without changing the weapon effectivness of enemy assets by incresing the Hitpoints of the R.S.D. mod. The IRAI part of WoS (and my personal modlist) only accounts for sensors, visual or mechanical sensors (hydrophones, Radar...) where you can lower or rise their effectiveness making the game easier or more difficult for you. I have now made an EASY and MEDIUM setting by changing the sensor range from its default 0.85-1.0 into:

Easy: 0.60-0.88
Medium: 0.75-0.95

I'm currently testing this.
For the R.S.D mod I have added a 'LESS DAMAGE' sub-mod which tweaks all hitpoints up to 200 to add 1/2 the difference to 200, and keep all values from 200 and above unchanged. The results are good but still the 'Regelzellen' get damaged too often, so I still need to tweak. I would like to have a more 'random' damage distribution when getting attacked, but that's impossible I think.

Eventually, when I see that it doesn't get too damn easy, I will release these mods as compatible TWoS mods so people can enjoy an easier TWoS game if they want. Currently there are some compatible mods for WoS not included in the package which adjust WoS in different parts, for example the mod 'Critical Hits' which gives you again a powerful deck gun, and other ones.

Essentially, I don't think that Realism and Expert difficulty should be the main part of WoS, SH5 should remain a game IMO, but it's the modmaker to decide and the players to mod if they don't like :)
And that's what I do. Besides, Clayton, you can load my modlist once it's free to download, it's not WoS but more oriented to a perfectly working vanilla game with many extra features. And there are other modlist proposals too in the SH5 forum.

Greetings,
XS

I look forward to your mod. Twos is an excellent mod, but I prefer historicity..
Let me know if you need someone to test it out for you.