SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

fire-fox 11-18-17 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner von Schmidt (Post 2525884)
vdr1981,
first of all, since I work on a German version of TWoS I realized how much work this modification is and want to express my appreciation for your (and all the others) work. (You must have the one or other grey hair by this)

Nevertheless I collected some wishes / ideas by some German players and I have two questions:
  1. I understand that a lot of players wanted the Auto Target Indentification back, so I've been thinking abt. a compromise. Is it possible to order Identify Target with a delay (maybe 5 minutes or sth)? Maybe it is also possible, that the officer make a mistake (by 1% for example). This would be realistic and relieves the Cpt. in stressful situations.

  2. The second question is about the set_course cmd. Do know sb I can ask about this? I mean, technically it is possible to press for example X + 002 (like a string) to set course to 002. Same with set_depth. This would be also more realistic for a Cpt. in stressful situations.

Thanks a lot in advance and keep up the excellent work.
Werner von Schmidt,
KptLt

Would second that as would like to use without the GUI readouts. For depth / speed / heading and use the crew dials.

And also like the delay idea - kind of like the radio operators delay in sending reports or the real Nav delays.

excel4004 11-18-17 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner von Schmidt (Post 2525884)
vdr1981,
first of all, since I work on a German version of TWoS I realized how much work this modification is and want to express my appreciation for your (and all the others) work. (You must have the one or other grey hair by this)

Nevertheless I collected some wishes / ideas by some German players and I have two questions:
  1. I understand that a lot of players wanted the Auto Target Indentification back, so I've been thinking abt. a compromise. Is it possible to order Identify Target with a delay (maybe 5 minutes or sth)? Maybe it is also possible, that the officer makes a mistake (by 1% for example). This would be realistic and relieves the Cpt. in stressful situations.
  2. The second question is about the set_course cmd. Do know sb I can ask about this? I mean, technically it is possible to press for example X + 002 (like a string) to set course to 002. Same with set_depth. This would be also more realistic for a Cpt. in stressful situations.

Thanks a lot in advance and keep up the excellent work.
Werner von Schmidt,
KptLt

PLayers who want a Auto Target Identififcation have the option to add this addon via JSGME (TWoS UI cmd_Auto Target ID). Available here: Iam happy that this is an opptional addon, for me its a big gamebracker to know what kind of ship is coming next when these a 5km away, so i use manuel identifacation to get a stressful Kaleun life in the game. :yep:

Werner von Schmidt 11-18-17 06:56 AM

Target identification
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by excel4004 (Post 2525903)
PLayers who want a Auto Target Identififcation have the option to add this addon via JSGME (TWoS UI cmd_Auto Target ID). Available here: [URL="http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/Check her for more TWoS 2.x.x compatible optional mods and addons"]

I know, I just thought it would be nice to have a compromise between the "arcade-like indentification" and the "Why I have to identify every ******* nutshell in the dark while my officer twiddle his thumbs?". So IMO a delay would give a better feeling of being the captain / interaction with the crew.
Werner von Schmidt

excel4004 11-18-17 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner von Schmidt (Post 2525907)
I know, I just thought it would be nice to have a compromise between the "arcade-like indentification" and the "Why I have to identify every ******* nutshell in the dark while my officer twiddle his thumbs?".
Werner von Schmidt

After a while you know which ships are coming the way, and identification becomes routine. Kind of realistic too.

gambla 11-18-17 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner von Schmidt (Post 2525907)
I know, I just thought it would be nice to have a compromise between the "arcade-like indentification" and the "Why I have to identify every ******* nutshell in the dark while my officer twiddle his thumbs?". So IMO a delay would give a better feeling of being the captain / interaction with the crew.
Werner von Schmidt

I agree with that and it's a good point. In terms of realism, we need to realize that there are different player types and approaches:

a) players who like to do only the real tasks of a Kaleun on a U-Boot
b) players who like to do many more tasks that are not necessarily KL tasks (ship ID, navigation tasks etc.)
c) players who like to micromanage basically everything

So we need to differentiate and be careful to consider certain automations/tasks unrealistic.

Personally, I'm type "a" and for example I don't use real navigation. But on the other hand I'd like my navigation officer to use it, to see some random, realistic failures in determing boat position due to bad weather, currents etc.

Werner von Schmidt 11-18-17 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambla (Post 2525940)
I agree with that and it's a good point. In terms of realism, we need to realize that there are different player types and approaches:

a) players who like to do only the real tasks of a Kaleun on a U-Boot
b) players who like to do many more tasks that are not necessarily KL tasks (ship ID, navigation tasks etc.)
c) players who like to micromanage basically everything

So we need to differentiate and be careful to consider certain automations/tasks unrealistic.

Personally, I'm type "a" and for example I don't use real navigation. But on the other hand I'd like my navigation officer to use it, to see some random, realistic failures in determing boat position due to bad weather, currents etc.

That's my point, thank you. For example in the German version of the TWoS I try to offer three different versions regarding the Enigma feature:
  1. You have to decode nothing.
  2. You have to decode only "Kommandantenfunkspruch" (radio reports for the commander), the rest will be decoded by your radioman / IIWO (which is the most realistic version for a commander)
  3. You have to decode everything.
So identifying the target delayed would give us a feeling that it's a feature of your crew (which it is) and not just a feature of the game. And yeah, sometimes you want to represent for example the LI and diving to 260m by setting depth rudder manually.

I really hope it's possible.
Werner von Schmidt

excel4004 11-18-17 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambla (Post 2525940)
I agree with that and it's a good point. In terms of realism, we need to realize that there are different player types and approaches:

a) players who like to do only the real tasks of a Kaleun on a U-Boot
b) players who like to do many more tasks that are not necessarily KL tasks (ship ID, navigation tasks etc.)
c) players who like to micromanage basically everything

So we need to differentiate and be careful to consider certain automations/tasks unrealistic.

Personally, I'm type "a" and for example I don't use real navigation. But on the other hand I'd like my navigation officer to use it, to see some random, realistic failures in determing boat position due to bad weather, currents etc.

Different players, i totaly agree with you, mate. The sim should be fun for everybody and the realism selections therefore are individually.

TWoS offers the first time to work with different sectors in the sub and after playing so many years with waypoints, TWoS was a fresh new way of WWII sub sim. :salute:

IMO was the automatism from the navigator without using "Real Navigation" unrealistic because the 100% accurate marks on the map are such ones created from a computer without errors and like i said the ships are identified so, so far away like from an eagle eye.:D

excel4004 11-18-17 10:04 AM

Quote:

But on the other hand I'd like my navigation officer to use it, to see some random, realistic failures in determing boat position due to bad weather, currents etc.
Try real navigation mode, then you get this feeling what i think you randomly want in your game.

What you wrote brings IMO not the effect you want to. Failures in boat position has no effect in the game instead of real life WWII situations. For example, in the case there was a meeting with a milkcow in the middle of the atlantic on a specific day or time and it was hard to reach the supporter in case of bad weather.

When you want to attack an enemy ship in sh5 it doesent matter where you are exactly at the sea. You, or your navigator can calculate on a random place the torpedo attack.

When i didnt hit the ship with Real Navigation - except of duds - i know it was my fault, something went wrong with my values and the calculation with these or so.

What do yo want instead, without Real Navigation, that you didnt hit the ship and after realising that you will get automaticly a message from your 1Wo or Navigator who said:"We dont hit the ship, think we got errors in our calculations, sry Kaleun"!? :D:timeout:

Cyborg322 11-18-17 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There will always be a compromise between Realism and playability that applies to all games and WOS is no exception . Silent Hunter 5 is a Sim game afterall so there is a bias towards realism and historical accuracy. WOS takes this a step further that's what its all about.

In terms of difficulty levels there is quite a lot of scope with the options such as the No RealNav and ship recognition addons . I think this is a good idea as it helps assist the "Learning Curve" for new players and the level can be upped as you gain more experience. Personally I think WOS has got this bang on and there is no need for any major change, maybe some little tweaks here and there.

None of this is really "Rocket Science" I'd think most of you would agree.

Regarding the previous point there are some little pointers I'd like too add

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner von Schmidt (Post 2525907)
The second question is about the set_course cmd. Do know sb I can ask about this? I mean, technically it is possible to press for example X + 002 (like a string) to set course to 002. Same with set_depth. This would be also more realistic for a Cpt. in stressful situations.

This has come up before, I'm not sure where you acquired the knowledge as to if it is possible or not but it has already had a response from Vecko. Personally I just don't get how this is more realistic or any need for it you don't need the GUI Dials to control the depth or speed there is allready keyboard shortcuts to do this + Command like crash Dive. However as always respect your opinion and I could be wrong.

Your point about the Enigma Machine are very valid and interesting . I did not know the German Version was different other than just Language translation I hope it thrives, it cannot be a bad thing for the Standard English Version

Its good to see all these points and ideas generated from 1 post, keep it rolling

For those who don't know me I'm British, never wrong, always right and should not be argued with, + never taken too seriously. OK :up:

Simon

:subsim:WOLVES OF STEEL



we shall fight on the beaches,we shall fight on the landing grounds,we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender Winston Churchill 4 June 1940


https://ibb.co/mWi2Q6

My Boat

Werner von Schmidt 11-18-17 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyborg322 (Post 2525998)
I'm not sure where you acquired the knowledge as to if it is possible or not but it has already had a response from Vecko. Personally I just don't get how this is more realistic or any need for it you don't need the GUI Dials to control the depth or speed there is allready keyboard shortcuts to do this + Command like crash Dive. However as always respect your opinion and I could be wrong.


First of all I just ask if he knows someone I can contact to realise this feature.

Well, and it's just an experience during tricky situations ... as a commander, I simply want to order (via keyboard) course 334, depth 56 meters. Quick and precise. But maybe I'm getting too much German at this point. :D

And if it's possible, why not adding it.
Werner von Schmidt

Cyborg322 11-18-17 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner von Schmidt (Post 2526015)
First of all I just ask if he knows someone I can contact to realise this feature.

Well, and it's just an experience during tricky situations ... as a commander, I simply want to order (via keyboard) course 334, depth 56 meters. Quick and precise. But maybe I'm getting too much German at this point. :D

And if it's possible, why not adding it.
Werner von Schmidt

That is why Germany makes some of the best cars in the world and I drive a BMW but it can be very costly

Simon

gambla 11-18-17 11:35 AM

I'm now May 1940 and even it's still early in the campaign, I noticed:

1) no Spy in-/ex-filtration mission yet : I can't remember when and how you get these offered and I don't like to miss them
2) convoys : Not seen one, second patrol north of IRE completed, not sure when exactly they were established by the allies, however I already get BDU messages, but all of them far off my position though)

sorry if this was asked before but this is a huge thread
thanks
:salute:

Cyborg322 11-18-17 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambla (Post 2526021)
I'm now May 1940 and even it's still early in the campaign, I noticed:

1) no Spy in-/ex-filtration mission yet : I can't remember when and how you get these offered and I don't like to miss them
2) convoys : Not seen one, second patrol north of IRE completed, not sure when exactly they were established by the allies, however I already get BDU messages, but all of them far off my position though)

sorry if this was asked before but this is a huge thread
thanks
:salute:

I think you mean the Spy pickup from Liverpool, it was a side mission as far as I can remember. Not sure of date but you are still a way off.

I'm assuming you are at the Iceland Faroes mission ? Thereabouts.

excel4004 11-18-17 01:11 PM

Quote:

2) convoys : Not seen one, second patrol north of IRE completed, not sure when exactly they were established by the allies, however I already get BDU messages, but all of them far off my position though)
You are out of luck this time. Love how realistic Sh5 is! Hehe.. :yep:

THEBERBSTER 11-18-17 02:36 PM

Hi Guys
The infiltration missions come about when you request a mission in the normal way.
Instead of a grid patrol area you get a special mission.
Check the dates.
https://s8.postimg.org/gr8uuxted/Inf..._completed.png
Peter


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1995- 2023 Subsim®
"Subsim" is a registered trademark, all rights reserved.