SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

THEBERBSTER 07-13-15 04:56 AM

Hi vecko

In the installation instructions you mention the bunker save in Step 7.
Would it not be a good idea to mention that the game play settings can be changed before making this bunker save.

When loading the game from the bunker save it would be useful to know if this should be done from the main menu or should the game be exited and restarted?

Peter

Damo 07-13-15 06:00 AM

FYI.

Real navigation by the DarkWright (in folder structure)

Should be DarkWraith.

Also, does this, or do you plan to add an option for dumbing down the options a little? I'm talking about Map contacts and Identify Ship button. I understand that 100% realism and manual plotting is the preferred way for seasoned subsimmers but a lot of people don't have the time to sit down for a long session where plotting is a huge part of that. The default game has the option for Map contacts on/off so I don't see why you need to force it off in this mod. Yesterday I spent literally 3 hours scouring posts and this thread for a way to re-enable the Identify Target button. Plenty of people asked the same question but were met with silence or people saying they had no idea how to do it, yet the mod is advertised as being suitable for beginners (as long as they are willing to play 100% from the get go it seems).

Anyway, in the end I downloaded Dragons addon mod and used Winmerge to adjust the PageLayout.ini to re-enable the button, which I would have preferred not to do, instead having the file included in the mod as an option, like real Navigation. Having to download a whole other mod just for one small file is a pain, thank God I don't have a download cap on my internet or I'd be pretty annoyed about it.

Anyway, not a rant but a suggestion as I think there are many people that would appreciate the ability to make their own choice rather than conform to the notion that 100% realism is the best way. For the record I'd love to play 100% but as stated I don't have the time and would prefer to get into the action and fun rather than waste time plotting everything.

Great mod, much needed, and the only reason I dusted off my copy of SH5, SH3 still being my favorite. I spent many hours editing files in that game to get it how I liked it but don't really want to repeat that here. Thank You.

vdr1981 07-13-15 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damo (Post 2328257)
FYI.

Real navigation by the DarkWright (in folder structure)

Should be DarkWraith.

OOO Bummer...:/\\!!

Only what you have to do is to learn how to use TDW User Options file editor and you can set game options to match your taste. By default WoS will have settings for highest realism, it has to be like that because I tested the modpack with those options and I'm not really familiar with anything else.
You can fing auto req button in download section, no need for tweaking...It's called TWoS-Wind and Smoke addon...

To use TDW options file editor is really simple now, especially if your game has default C/Ubisoft/Silent Hunter 5 path . I've already set all necessary paths in cfg files so you only need to start the application, open options file and edit it as you like (while the magamod is not enabled with JSGME).

Also, if someone still say to me that he can't understand how to activate generic patcher I'll...https://youtu.be/97Gr4WKEkS0?t=1h56m26s:D

THEBERBSTER 07-13-15 09:44 AM

Hi Demo

Check out my Sh5 tutorial index

The Wolves Of Steel > Adds The Missing Target Identify Icon Back > Wind & Smoke addon Mod

Always enable this mod lasteach time you update your game.

Peter

Frank Ravelli 07-13-15 10:33 AM

Ok, so here I am, after two years far from the game Iīm back. You know, the summer is being so hot that I needed some refreshing game and this one is the best for that.
And here I am with a new pc that I hope can finally cope with a modded version of SH5. You know, two years back I spent more thatn one week to learn, download and install Soberīs megamod. I went for the whole beast and I am pretty sure that I was able to install all the mods properly, but, as I said, my machine wasnīt powerful enough for the task, so I had regular ctdīs.
I had a lot of fun while doing the process of installing the megamod, as for me thatīs a hobby in itself, sort of a metagame (I am very proud of having been able to run flawlessly a modded version of skyrim with more than 200 patches included, in a long process that took several months)
But the thought of installing the whole megamod manually, one mod at a time (and I had forgotten about TDW generic patcher!) was a little overwhelming and kept me away from reinstalling the game.
So, desperately in need of the refreshing waves of the baltic sea, I came back to this great forum only to find this INCREDIBLE, AWESOME, PERFECT compilation of WoS. And I have to say to you: thank you so much sir, you have done something here.
Because what took me more than one week before, itīs taken just two or three hours now (including reading and "letting sink" the instructions)

Of course I have some questions that have been raised in a couple of hours of gameplay, because I havenīt read all the modsī readmes, so I have a lot to learn.

If you donīt mind I will just ask you a couple things:

-why does the navigator never give the position when clicking the celestial method? Iīve tried it and waited for about ten minutes, to no avail. Thereīs no problem when using the dead reckoning method though.
-I think that not all of the charts shown here
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=141
can be found ingame. For example I havenīt seen the coastwise piloting and the celestial navigation ones. I found the last one specially interesting, cause Iīd like to learn celestial positioning and the use of the sextant and that kind of thing.

I hope that you donīt mind if I come back with new questions when I have doubts about something.

Well, thank you so much for your priceless help with the mod compilation and congrats for your well deserved 2014 subsim award

vdr1981 07-13-15 10:45 AM

-why does the navigator never give the position when clicking the celestial method? Iīve tried it and waited for about ten minutes, to no avail. Thereīs no problem when using the dead reckoning method though.

He needs more time, something like 45min or even more, it's random...

-I think that not all of the charts shown here

I had to remove some in order to meet 50 charts limit...Real nav charts are unreadable in game so I removed them , for now...

I hope that you donīt mind if I come back with new questions when I have doubts about something.

No problems at all...People questions can actually be helpful for me to determent what more should I add to tips and FAQ area...

fitzcarraldo 07-13-15 12:43 PM

Installed WoS 1.04 without problems. All working well, as expected.

I note the SH3 style UI is default now; nice touch.

Wonder if there is a way to put flags in the boats, or it is completely incompatible with WoS.

Many thanks for the job and happy vacation, Vecko!

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

THE_MASK 07-13-15 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ravelli (Post 2328311)

He should take about 45 minutes afaik .

vdr1981 07-13-15 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo (Post 2328333)
Installed WoS 1.04 without problems. All working well, as expected.

I note the SH3 style UI is default now; nice touch.

Wonder if there is a way to put flags in the boats, or it is completely incompatible with WoS.

Many thanks for the job and happy vacation, Vecko!

It appears that SH3 interface is more stable and fluid...

Sub flags are not "incompatible" at all but they will destabilize modded SH5 from some to me unknown reason. This is also the case with few other mods that adds something to player's sub, like sub exhaust ect... However ,you're free to test it and to report your findings here...:up:

fitzcarraldo 07-13-15 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2328407)
It appears that SH3 interface is more stable and fluid...

Sub flags are not "incompatible" at all but they will destabilize modded SH5 from some to me unknown reason. This is also the case with few other mods that adds something to player's sub, like sub exhaust ect... However ,you're free to test it and to report your findings here...:up:

OK, many thanks!

Now Iīm doing a trip from Wilhelmshaven to Kiel, across the Kiel Canal. A touristic/testing journey with a Type VIIC.

All the best!

THEBERBSTER 07-13-15 07:23 PM

Hi vecko

Playing with v1.04

I have had to add the mod "gap - HD 1 deg Scope Bearing v 1.0"

When I went to use the attack scope it was only showing 5 degree gradules.

Was working ok with v1.03

Peter

fitzcarraldo 07-13-15 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER (Post 2328441)
Hi vecko

Playing with v1.04

Was working ok with v1.03

Peter

Same here.

Also when attacking a merchant with deck gun and sunk it the game freezes when I clicked the captain's log botton in upper right bar - that with the cap hat. I needed to reset the PC. A complete crash.

BTW the ship sunk was from Netherlands. Campaign started in "Happy Times" navigating from Wilhelmshaven.

Regards.

vdr1981 07-13-15 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER (Post 2328441)

Aaa, shuuuut...Thanks Peter! :up:
That "dds-remove" extension tricked me again. I'll add it back again as soon as I upload first 1.04 patch...:yep:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo (Post 2328451)
Same here.

Also when attacking a merchant with deck gun and sunk it the game freezes when I clicked the captain's log botton in upper right bar - that with the cap hat. I needed to reset the PC. A complete crash.

BTW the ship sunk was from Netherlands. Campaign started in "Happy Times" navigating from Wilhelmshaven.

Regards.

I've never thought that "Should I attack friendly ships?" question will ever be necessary in FAQ section... :D

What you have experienced there is common SH5 behavior when you are fit for court-martial...:03:

THEBERBSTER 07-14-15 03:45 AM

There is radio message I have seen when it tells you it is ok to attack neutral shipping.

I think it comes up in the early part of EBCW.

This is another interesting radio message with orders to use magnetic detonators.http://i60.tinypic.com/9zpvzq.jpg

Peter

THE_MASK 07-14-15 03:56 AM

All Polish vessels are to be considered hostile and valid targets which may be attacked at the commander's discretion.|Vessels of other nations are considered neutral and are not to be attacked.|OKM