SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

vdr1981 10-11-18 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanzfeld (Post 2572199)
OK do those radio towers on the map do anything? I got pretty close to the one at Kiel and went to my radio man and hit the selected Icon but he said nothing was detected. Are those actually turned on?

Those are radio beacons for real navigation. They should be active only few hours a day, if they aren't destroyers by RAF raids, which is also possibility...

https://i.postimg.cc/rKMZKn61/SH5-Im...4-23-26-56.jpg

Lanzfeld 10-11-18 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2572200)
Those are radio beacons for real navigation. They should be active only few hours a day, if they aren't destroyers by RAF raids, which is also possibility...

https://i.postimg.cc/rKMZKn61/SH5-Im...4-23-26-56.jpg

How do we know when they are supposed to be active?

CaptBones 10-11-18 03:42 PM

Torpedo question..

First a follow-up to your 10/09 6:47 comment on EOT errors...

Since the same problem exists with SH5 Enhanced HUD, I think I'll use the SH3 dials..."familiarity" I suppose. I did get the boat up to 6+kts at Flank while turning, so I think the slowness I saw was due to impatience on my part.

The question is concerning proximity detonators (magnetic pistols). In the four TDC Tutorial sessions that I've done, I've experienced the following...

First session - G7e with mag pistol, range to target at firing - 2100m, target draft 10.5m, torpedo depth 12m, hit forward, target burning.

Second session - 2-G7a torpedo salvo, mag pistols, range to target at firing - 1800m, same target draft and torpedo depth. Both torpedoes ran "hot straight and normal" under the target, neither detonated (watched it on event camera and the TAI).

Third session - same setup, range to target 1600m, same results.

Fourth session - 2-G7a torpedo salvo, impact pistols, range to target at firing - 1900m, same target draft, torpedo depth 6m. Both torpedoes ran "hot straight and normal", hits forward and amidships, target sank.

Any hints what happened with the mag pistols on the 2nd & 3rd practice sessions? They clearly passed just over 1m under that big fat "Cimmaron" type tanker's keel. The date in that tutorial is early 1942 IIRC, there shouldn't be a 100% failure rate for those detonators by that date, right?

Thanks again...in advance. :D

vdr1981 10-11-18 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanzfeld (Post 2572201)
How do we know when they are supposed to be active?

If you use real navigation, you won't know. You'll just float somewhere in the fog and click "report nearest land bla bla" every hour or so until you get positive response. That's it...Doesn't sound very sophisticated , I know , but it can be really helpful when trying to find your way home in dense fog...:yep: There is also a possibility that your radio man will pick some other transmission resulting in report with illogical bearing and range but experienced Captain will know how to recognize this...:03:

Just a small "nerdish" feature I tough it could be useful...Nothing special.:yep:

vdr1981 10-11-18 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptBones (Post 2572202)
First a follow-up to your 10/09 6:47 comment on EOT errors...

Since the same problem exists with SH5 Enhanced HUD, I think I'll use the SH3 dials..."familiarity" I suppose. I did get the boat up to 6+kts at Flank while turning, so I think the slowness I saw was due to impatience on my part.

The question is concerning proximity detonators (magnetic pistols). In the four TDC Tutorial sessions that I've done, I've experienced the following...

First session - G7e with mag pistol, range to target at firing - 2100m, target draft 10.5m, torpedo depth 12m, hit forward, target burning.

Second session - 2-G7a torpedo salvo, mag pistols, range to target at firing - 1800m, same target draft and torpedo depth. Both torpedoes ran "hot straight and normal" under the target, neither detonated (watched it on event camera and the TAI).

Third session - same setup, range to target 1600m, same results.

Fourth session - 2-G7a torpedo salvo, impact pistols, range to target at firing - 1900m, same target draft, torpedo depth 6m. Both torpedoes ran "hot straight and normal", hits forward and amidships, target sank.

Any hints what happened with the mag pistols on the 2nd & 3rd practice sessions? They clearly passed just over 1m under that big fat "Cimmaron" type tanker's keel. The date in that tutorial is early 1942 IIRC, there shouldn't be a 100% failure rate for those detonators by that date, right?

Thanks again...in advance. :D

Just open your Generic File Patcher and check SHsim.act/Torpedo section. You'll see how many randomization factors are there which make things somewhat tricky and not really straight forward like in previous SH games. I guess things weren't always straight forward in the real life as well...:yep:

Also, don't take for granted dates in single mission. There several dates stated in every mis file and after all this time, I'm still not sure which one is valid.

Hint: If you want to reduce chances of wasting your precious torpedoes, you should avoid trying to place them "exactly" 2 m bellow keel. Instead, play on safe card. If ship's draft in manual is listed as 8m, set your torpedoes to 8, or even 7 or 6m. Trust me, final result will be pretty much the same...:yep:

Also, I'm pretty much sure that in RL, ships draft is somewhat variable value which is effected by several factors (water salinity, ships weight ect). this can also happen in the game as well, due to bug or whatever, but it can happen.

In the end, note that draft data in recognition manual may not be 100% acurate as well...:yep:

All in all, play on a "safe card" and your torpedoes will find the way...:salute:

Ashikaga 10-12-18 01:48 AM

Radio beacons work perfect on a cloudy stormy night with your nav man out of action, high swells and no stars to losition mark yourself. I use them at times though often I just submerge and wait it out. Used radio beacons a lot in IL2 Cliffs of Dover.

Cybermat47 10-12-18 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashikaga (Post 2572225)
Radio beacons work perfect on a cloudy stormy night with your nav man out of action, high swells and no stars to losition mark yourself. I use them at times though often I just submerge and wait it out. Used radio beacons a lot in IL2 Cliffs of Dover.

Yeah, the CloD radio beacons should come in handy when we’re flying over that massive desert.

Ashikaga 10-12-18 02:49 AM

Oh man I cannot wait till TF puts that mod live. Wonder whether it will be included in IL2 CLOD Blitz :)

Oh Vecko, is it accurate that when you forget in bunker to add camouflage when starting a new mission it is not on the ship? Came in with camo, changed one thing, twin flak and when heading out my camouflage was gone. Bit silly to spend double renown points for something I already should have is it not?

Askikaga.

Cybermat47 10-12-18 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashikaga (Post 2572229)
Oh man I cannot wait till TF puts that mod live. Wonder whether it will be included in IL2 CLOD Blitz :)

Not a mod, Team Fusion Sinulations is now the official developer of CloD :D. The Tobruk map will be an official DLC :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

Ashikaga 10-12-18 04:26 AM

EPIC!!!!!

Cannot wait to get my rudder pedals :)

Fifi 10-12-18 07:45 AM

Vecko, is the alarme clock feature still working?
It seems not... :hmmm:

It was kind of useful for waking up the Kaleun each hour :D

If it’s still working, could you remind me how to use it?

vdr1981 10-12-18 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi (Post 2572247)
Vecko, is the alarme clock feature still working?
It seems not... :hmmm:

It was kind of useful for waking up the Kaleun each hour :D

If it’s still working, could you remind me how to use it?

Of course...Just click your analog clock somewhere inside these marked zones and the menu will appear. :yep: Click point in the middle doesn't work from some reason...

https://i.postimg.cc/gkHLcYbr/SH5-Im...2-15-53-27.jpg

vdr1981 10-12-18 09:52 AM

The Wolves of Steel v2.2.8 is ready for download!

v2.2.8 CHANGELOG:
- Initial loading screen updated with additional "Black screen pause" note and "Best of Subsim 2017" badge.
- Edited appearance dates of FuMB-1 Metox radar warning receiver, FuMO-29 radar and Bold1 decoys according to historical apereance dates in single missions and few months earlier in the campaign in order to simulate new test equipment for successful captains.
- Radar display will now show airborne contacts as well.
- Added ability to manually turn off radar at captains discretion which wasn't possible before (radar was always radiating EM energy regardless of On/Off state).
- Incorrect South African flags are now fixed, together with few more flag problems like incorrect German flag shown in the museum (info card) and missing "Free Netherlands" flags on ships.
- Soviet and New Zealand navy and civilian vessels now have correct ensigns.
- Various flags chart fixes.
- Moved flag position to ship's stern for Medium troop transport. More to come in future updates...
- Send weather report command from radiman's UI command menu is now functional! Use it at your own discretion but be aware that, just like a normal status report, your weather report can be intercepted and triangulated by allies.
- Enabled previously blocked torpedoman special ability to pre-heat/overcharge torpedoes in order to somewhat increase their range (*restore the snapshot again using Generic File Patcher to activate the changes).
- Increased range of TII but somewhat reduced range of TIII electric torpedoes so that both types can have maximum range around 5km in their pre-heated state. However, newer TIII type will still have slightly better range than it's predecessor.
- Edited and adjusted torpedoman's special abilities: "Pre-heat/overcharge torpedo" (for range and reliability) and "Torpedo Warhead" (slight damage increase).
- Increased duration time from 10 to 30 mins for "Pre-heat/overcharge torpedo" and "Torpedo Warhead" abilities so that player can have enough time to issue an order to the torpedo-man well before the engagement.
- Edited numerous ingame texts and tool-tips for better understanding of certain GUI command functions.
- Removed some of the non-implemented and redundant GUI commands in order to avoid confusion.
- Better description for some TWoS optional mods and add-ons. (Campaign Advance Verifier Testing, More info)
- Added "Russian fonts patch" to TWoS Documentation folder with the appropriate install instructions.
- Various smaller tweaks and fixes.
- Special thanks to the latest outstanding TWoS supporters/donors who are making this expansion to keep going: Richard Roberts, David "HW3" Stevens, Ales "Kikinado" Bily, Dale Francisco, Christian "Kuddell1982" Eilmes, Yangfan Xu, Garry Dragon, Steven Reynolds, Andrew Cummings and especially to Grant "CaptBones" Graeber for his enormous 100 USD donation! Thank you very much Captains! Have fun and sink 'em all! :)

:Kaleun_Salute::Kaleun_Salute::Kaleun_Salute:
Happy (weekend) hunting!

Ashikaga 10-12-18 10:35 AM

Epic Vecko!!!

Will install it when I have finished Weserubung.

[question]
where can I change the depth setting for crash dive?

I want it to go to 75 meters or less and not 150. That gives me some control since now I have to click like crazy on the depth meter every time I crash dive due to aircraft.

fitzcarraldo 10-12-18 12:12 PM

Many thanks for the new update! :Kaleun_Cheers::Kaleun_Cheers:

This night I will install it.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute: