SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Computer help please (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=129885)

Kapitan_Phillips 01-28-08 03:56 PM

Computer help please

Hey guys, when I run a full screen program, it seems to sometimes just minimise it, showing me the desktop again. It doesnt crash, just minimise.

Any ideas?

Tchocky 01-28-08 04:03 PM

Alt-Tab around till it comes back

Or, wait for a tech-minded person to post :P

sonar732 01-28-08 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitan_Phillips
Hey guys, when I run a full screen program, it seems to sometimes just minimise it, showing me the desktop again. It doesnt crash, just minimise.

Any ideas?

Was the program minimized when you closed the program before this started showing up? I might suggest maximizing it and then closing it. Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Kapitan_Phillips 01-28-08 04:13 PM

No, I mean it'll just randomly do it when its running, like, I could be playing SH4, and poof, down it goes. I dont have a screensaver or anything. :-?

Knipper 01-28-08 04:33 PM

That's a poser. Do you still get the SH button showing in the windows tool bar at the bottom of the screen?

Kapitan_Phillips 01-28-08 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knipper
That's a poser. Do you still get the SH button showing in the windows tool bar at the bottom of the screen?

Yeah, and I can go back into it no problem. Its just frustrating to be in the middle of an attack then fzzt, down it goes.

TteFAboB 01-28-08 06:20 PM

Greetings,

Are you having trouble with your screens minimizing all the time? This is a common issue that affects 95% of all men in the planet. Fortunately, today is your lucky day. I am the sales representative of a multi-national research corporation based in Nigeria which is very close to figuring out a cure to this awful problem. We are seeking new investors to finalize our project and start selling our solution world-wide. If you would like to participate in this enterprise, the entry-level investment consists of a mere 1,000$, though you are free to buy as many shares of our company as available, but if you so desire, be quick, as we are selling them by the day. Once we are finished and go public, it is expected that our company value will jump about 1000%. To participate, please send your investment to the following bank account:

Busaba Irobyou
Nigerian Spam Bank
45631-3

Then send us an e-mail with the following details so that we can confirm your investment and send you a certificate of the shares at home, free of charge:

Bank name.
Bank account.
Online banking password.
Credit Card name and number.

Thank you very much for your support and expect further contact soon when the time comes to share the spoils of our partnership.

Yours truly,
Busaba Irobyou
Screen Minimizing Solutions - Nigeria.

sonar732 01-28-08 07:04 PM

Quote:

No, I mean it'll just randomly do it when its running, like, I could be playing SH4, and poof, down it goes. I dont have a screensaver or anything. :-?

Do a CTRL + ALT+ DELETE when it happens and see what processes are being used. For instance, if I forget to shut down everything while running Fighting Steel, it will totally mess up my game after I close whatever program came up. This is what it sounds like for you.

sonar732 01-28-08 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TteFAboB
Greetings,

Are you having trouble with your screens minimizing all the time? This is a common issue that affects 95% of all men in the planet. Fortunately, today is your lucky day. I am the sales representative of a multi-national research corporation based in Nigeria which is very close to figuring out a cure to this awful problem. We are seeking new investors to finalize our project and start selling our solution world-wide. If you would like to participate in this enterprise, the entry-level investment consists of a mere 1,000$, though you are free to buy as many shares of our company as available, but if you so desire, be quick, as we are selling them by the day. Once we are finished and go public, it is expected that our company value will jump about 1000%. To participate, please send your investment to the following bank account:

Busaba Irobyou
Nigerian Spam Bank
45631-3

Then send us an e-mail with the following details so that we can confirm your investment and send you a certificate of the shares at home, free of charge:

Bank name.
Bank account.
Online banking password.
Credit Card name and number.

Thank you very much for your support and expect further contact soon when the time comes to share the spoils of our partnership.

Yours truly,
Busaba Irobyou
Screen Minimizing Solutions - Nigeria.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Kapitan_Phillips 01-28-08 08:13 PM

Well I unplugged from t'internet and disabled ZoneAlarm and Avast, and all seems good so far..:smug:

Knipper 01-29-08 07:17 AM

Quote:

Well I unplugged from t'internet and disabled ZoneAlarm and Avast, and all seems good so far..:smug:

Maybe that's a clue. I often used to get wierd things happening (though not minimizing) when attacking, which I eventually concluded were due to high cpu/memory usage, ie when there's a lot happening in terms of sound and vision. These days, I use FSAutoStart to turn absolutely everything I don't need off before I run the sim. It does mean you can't play online though. Mind you, I've never had any similar problems when playing on line, so it's not been an issue.

sonar732 01-29-08 08:42 AM

Quote:

Maybe that's a clue. I often used to get wierd things happening (though not minimizing) when attacking, which I eventually concluded were due to high cpu/memory usage, ie when there's a lot happening in terms of sound and vision. These days, I use FSAutoStart to turn absolutely everything I don't need off before I run the sim. It does mean you can't play online though. Mind you, I've never had any similar problems when playing on line, so it's not been an issue.

Do you like this better than "End It All"?

sonar732 01-29-08 08:44 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't have gone to the extreme of unplugging your internet connection. Look at the times which you update your A/V, Firewall, and Spywhere programs and shut it down. Same thing with when a scheduled scan takes place.

Knipper 01-29-08 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonar732
Quote:

Hi sonar, can't say I've tried 'End It All'. great name though. I discovered FSAS a few years ago and it seemed to do the trick. What's different with EIA? There's bound to be a thread on here somewhere about it, I'll have a look later.

sonar732 01-29-08 10:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonar732
Quote:

Hi sonar, can't say I've tried 'End It All'. great name though. I discovered FSAS a few years ago and it seemed to do the trick. What's different with EIA? There's bound to be a thread on here somewhere about it, I'll have a look later.

Here is a screenie of EIA...

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/4179/eiaki2.jpg

and here is a link to a nice article on PC Magazine.com.