SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Problems @ Lorient (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=251260)

PETC 12-11-21 03:52 PM

Problems @ Lorient

I've recently been told to transfer to Lorient and after a few patrols out of the base I have some questions.

Are all your AI ships and aircraft as dumb as mine are?

On every exit of the port I've got airplanes trying to be submarines, submarines trying to be tanks and minesweepers who don't know where the channel is. Every time I leave port there are at least four or five ships/subs/aircraft that have either crashed into the ground or the sea and it has never failed. Does this happen to anyone else and if so how can I fix it? I'm fine with dealing with it but it just seems ridiculous.

Cheers!

Playing with GWX and a few visual mods.

John Pancoast 12-11-21 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PETC (Post 2782306)
I've recently been told to transfer to Lorient and after a few patrols out of the base I have some questions.

Are all your AI ships and aircraft as dumb as mine are?

On every exit of the port I've got airplanes trying to be submarines, submarines trying to be tanks and minesweepers who don't know where the channel is. Every time I leave port there are at least four or five ships/subs/aircraft that have either crashed into the ground or the sea and it has never failed. Does this happen to anyone else and if so how can I fix it? I'm fine with dealing with it but it just seems ridiculous.

Cheers!

Playing with GWX and a few visual mods.

Never seen that one before. Post your mod list.

FUBAR295 12-11-21 06:01 PM

Sounds like a mod conflict somewhere, imho.

As John has suggested, post your mod list.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

PETC 12-11-21 06:16 PM

Mod list was a little more extensive than I remember it.

https://i.imgur.com/VTv5GNv.png

John Pancoast 12-11-21 06:28 PM

Lots of possible conflicts there. I'd suggest try just a GWX install, nothing else. You won't see those problems with that.
Then install the other mods you want, ONE AT A TIME, running Lorient in between each one.
When the problems start, you have your cause.

David I 12-13-21 11:03 AM

GWX Unpack first?

What does that mod do, or is supposed to do?

I've seen a lot of Mod lists in my time, but not that one.

I'd try deleting that one first and go from there.

Also check the U-Boat Compilation installation order.

All in all, John's suggestion is the gold standard.

Good Luck.

David I

Jeff-Groves 12-13-21 01:29 PM

:agree: What he said.

PETC 12-16-21 01:47 PM

Apologies. Been out of town. Just got back and I went through all my mods and I can't seem to make the problem stop. Still doing some testing so this may change if I find something.

I've been studying it a little more and wanted to give a clearer account of what is happening.

With the Type VII and the minesweeper the problem seems to be that when I load in they are set moving on a specific course at a specific speed and make no attempt to change heading. This results in both of them beaching/sinking. The minesweeper strikes land soon after leaving the docks and the uboat does the same near the entrance to the bay. All other ships in the harbor operate properly or are at anchor.

The airplanes I have no idea about. I never see them crash and when the game loads they are in the air doing their patrol, but after some time they can be found splashed down near the entrance to the bay, on fire, engines still running, moving together in a circle.

John Pancoast 12-16-21 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PETC (Post 2783277)
Apologies. Been out of town. Just got back and I went through all my mods and I can't seem to make the problem stop. Still doing some testing so this may change if I find something.

I've been studying it a little more and wanted to give a clearer account of what is happening.

With the Type VII and the minesweeper the problem seems to be that when I load in they are set moving on a specific course at a specific speed and make no attempt to change heading. This results in both of them beaching/sinking. The minesweeper strikes land soon after leaving the docks and the uboat does the same near the entrance to the bay. All other ships in the harbor operate properly or are at anchor.

The airplanes I have no idea about. I never see them crash and when the game loads they are in the air doing their patrol, but after some time they can be found splashed down near the entrance to the bay, on fire, engines still running, moving together in a circle.

None of that occurs with a correct GWX install. As said earlier, you have conflicts between some of your mods.
Start with a base GWX and you'll see all your examples work correctly.

PETC 12-18-21 06:36 PM

It's just strange because I turned them all off and it still occurred. I just plan on dealing with it for now but if I ever want to try and figure out what exactly is going on I'll start with a fresh install.

Jeff-Groves 12-18-21 06:56 PM

Where EXACTLY is your SH3 installed?

And where the hell did GWX (Unpack first) come from?
You want answers but don't provide any when asked.

PETC 12-21-21 01:13 PM

SH3 is installed in my steam folder.

The GWX unpack first "mod" was actually a folder which contained all the GWX optional mods.

IE: GWX - 16km atmosphere, GWX - Alternate Loadscreen, etc.

I removed it and nothing changed so I don't think it was actually affecting anything. I'm not sure how it got there as all the mods I have were installed years ago and I can't remember why that was there, but its been deleted and is no longer a part of the game.

Jeff-Groves 12-21-21 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PETC (Post 2784023)

The GWX unpack first "mod" was actually a folder which contained all the GWX optional mods.

Now that there gets me.
At no time did a GWX install have it set up like that as far as I know.

You say installed years ago. So I think in the last 13 years?
GWX 3 was released almost exactly 13 years ago!
:o

PETC 12-21-21 02:02 PM

It probably wasn't that long ago but it was at least 5 years ago I believe. I'll just backup my current install and start over fresh.

Mad Mardigan 12-21-21 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PETC (Post 2784023)

I removed it and nothing changed so I don't think it was actually affecting anything. I'm not sure how it got there as all the mods I have were installed years ago and I can't remember why that was there, but its been deleted and is no longer a part of the game.

2 things..

# 1...

With Steam (both the launcher & it's subsequent siamese twin, it's games library... just where do you have those installed.
Am going to go out on a limb here &... guess that considering the length of time you mentioned... that you blindly followed the default install location... \program files

or \Program files (x86), as a lot do. :yep:

2ndly...

When you deactivated & deleted that GWX unpack first "mod"... did you, also... wipe out the games save folder, located in "documents" for that, as well.

Since you mentioned seeing no difference... am going with a very likely... NO... that you did NOT do that, either.

Of course, I could be wrong... but suspect highly... that I'm not. :shucks:

Awaiting your reply post back...

:Kaleun_Salute:

M. M.

PETC 12-21-21 02:11 PM

Game is installed:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/silent hunter 3

My understanding is that wiping out the folder located at My Documents/SH3 will remove my ongoing career save files, so no, I didn't touch anything in the My Documents/SH3 folder.

That being said I also deactivated all of my other mods currently active via JSGME and all of those being deactivated DID make a difference when I loaded my career but did not fix the problem. At this point I just plan on backing up my original install and just starting from scratch to see if I can get the problem to go away.

Mad Mardigan 12-21-21 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PETC (Post 2784038)
Game is installed:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/silent hunter 3

My understanding is that wiping out the folder located at My Documents/SH3 will remove my ongoing career save files, so no, I didn't touch anything in the My Documents/SH3 folder.

That being said I also deactivated all of my other mods currently active via JSGME and all of those being deactivated DID make a difference when I loaded my career but did not fix the problem. At this point I just plan on backing up my original install and just starting from scratch to see if I can get the problem to go away.

*sighs*

Ok, to begin with... problem # 1...

Windows UAC, is an ironfisted attack/watchdog of Windows. It does NOT agree with any tampering of files under it's (UAC's) control.

Thereby, any... "tampering" & yes, adding in mods, does classify as such... as those mods, overwrite files & such to your SH3 copy. Period.

That you have Steam & everything associated with it... ala the games library & any & all games in said library location... are ipso defacto, residing in the iron curtain land of "UAC"...

That said... newer games, are custom designed nowadays, to run inside "UAC's vaunted iron grip control... & as such, are more capable of handling being "tampered with... aka modded... in said environment. However...

however, older games/sims... such as SH3, SH4... & quite possibly included in there, SH5... aren't. Or any other game/s-sims, from in that same time frame as them.

Best solution.... however, not going to lie... is going to be painful... (especially, if... IF, you have a whole lotta games/sims downloaded & installed via a 'la Steam. :yep:) solution to that...

that solution... uninstall all those games, as well as Steam & it's library. Otherwise known of, as... scorched earth approach. Then, reinstall Steam's launcher 1st... & Then inform it of just where, to reinstall your games.

Doing that reinstall, via 1 of a couple of different ways & means, dependent on what your HD situation is.

1 HD set up:

Going into your pc folder... right click & add in a new folder, aptly named... "Games" (minus the " marks, of course...) that's step 1.

2. In that folder, set up the following named folders.

2-A. Launchers (This is where you will install any & all other launchers, besides the aforementioned "Steam" one.)

2-B. Library (this is where you tell the launchers, to NOW install games from said launchers... All other gams/sims, NOT requiring a launcher can just be installed in an aptly named folder in the main folder, named "Games".)

Then begin the process of reinstalling Steam then the games from them... pointing the way to the newly created local for them to go.

Have NOT had just 1 HD for some time... but... the method I outlined here... should work, without issues... as namely, that will put not only Steam, but it's library, as well as any & all games from them acquired... well outside of UAC's iron fisted, king kong, darth vader dictator death grip.

a 2 HD set up pc, or even a 1 HD pc.. (be it a laptop or desktop, doesn't matter here... :yep:) that the user has any number of externals... can set up the launchers, as outlined above in the 1 HD only pc... & follow up with the libraries & games in the 2nd HD of their choice... keeping the whole shebang out of UAC's death grip.

After that, is simply setting up for modding SH3 (or any other game, for that matter...) to their hearts content. Following of course, the basic standard rules of making sure that you've grabbed the right game/sim version, mods for the version you have, as well as that said mods, work with other mods that you grabbed... & making sure to read the read me's that come with those mods (should they have one... or failing that, the install directions, listed in the mods main thread.

Strongly recommend, that with SH3... or for that matter, any other game/sim... that you leave the initial install alone, as your gold standard, go to virgin pristine copy & set up an aptly named mod named folder then paste the guts of that game into it & mod it, instead... :yep:

Before even running SH3 that very 1st time to finalize its install...

recommend, that you 1 click the .exe, go to its "properties" menu & do the following.

In the "General" tab of "Properties", ensure that write-only" is NOT check marked. If it is, uncheck & click "apply".

After that, go into the "Compatibility" tab section, & check that the following is done:

1. In the "Compatibility mode" section in "Compatibility", check run this program in: click on the selection box (which should be default listing "Windows XP"...

scroll down that list & select, instead... Windows 7.

Next, go down further on that same page & find the box tagged...

"Run this as Admin" & check mark that box.

After that, click accept, then OK. Done.

Now, you are free & clear, to run SH3 for the very 1st run...

After that,

Highly recommend, grabbing MultiSH3 thereby using that, to keep the modded SH3's game saves, separate from the initial SH3 run save folder created. No need to delete that save folder..., is best you leave it... saves having to recreate it later on down the line.

Hopefully this helps, not only you... but any other "Steam" user, as well.

:yep:

:Kaleun_Salute:

M. M.