SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Here we go again-Ukraine once again (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=249066)

Catfish 04-12-21 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbuna (Post 2741932)
Keep some of them military assets in readiness for the formation of the EU army :)

I heard the Gorch Fock is afloat again.. maybe it can be transported to its mission area with a leased russian ecranoplan :O:

Bilge_Rat 04-12-21 02:35 PM

There was a region called Ukraine, but no country called Ukraine.

For the past 800 years, Ukraine has been ruled by the Mongols, the Golden Horde, Poland, Crimean Khanate, then Russia.

Some have claimed the pre-mongol invasion Kievan Rus was the ancestor of Ukraine, but a more fair reading IMHO would view it as the precursor of the Grand Duchy of Muscovy which eventually became the Russian Empire.

Jimbuna 04-12-21 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2741937)
I heard the Gorch Fock is afloat again.. maybe it can be transported to its mission area with a leased russian ecranoplan :O:

:haha:

Skybird 04-12-21 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbuna (Post 2741932)
Keep some of them military assets in readiness for the formation of the EU army :)

The tactical genius of Boris Becker is already planning the first retaliating serves and volleys for Bernard Langers precision long strikes. Also two legions of well trained political endurance talkers stand ready to wear the Russians down in endless and exhausting monologues.

No nukes, however, unfortunately the Japanese Tsunami swept away our nuclear reactors. We hope to have enough solar panels installed in urban warfare areas to blind any invading enemy troops, however. Russian technological research on sunglasses is said to lack behind in quality and so gives us the edge. We will shine while they will - well, whatever Russians are dojgn when staring at solar panels on roofs, honestyl I have no idea what they do, but just imagine how we will shine!

Rockstar 04-12-21 03:41 PM

Looks like the Brits are going in first, Operation Cossack Mace is supposed to begin this summer. Tensions might rise.

sorry, I should have said its not just the Brits but also militaries from 5 other NATO member states are scheduled to be in Ukraine.

https://www.unian.info/m/society/cos...-11376019.html

mapuc 04-12-21 03:42 PM

I know the answer to my question on whether NATO will intervene or not.

The leaders will be debating for days and it will end with a diluted condemnation.

The leaders will also give each member free space to whether they will support Ukraine or not and by doing so they do it without the NATO support.

Markus

Rockstar 04-12-21 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2741937)

Maybe if we returned the Horst Wessel you could install a couple of cannons on it and use that. :)

Jimbuna 04-13-21 06:48 AM

Quote:

In total, the drills will involve more than 1,000 military personnel from at least five NATO member states, as well as participants in the Partnership for Peace program.

In 2021, Ukraine will host the Ukrainian-U.S exercises Rapid Trident 2021 and Sea Breeze 2021, the Ukrainian-British drills Cossack Mace 2021 and Warrior Watcher 2021, the Ukrainian-Romanian exercises Riverine 2021, and the Ukrainian-Polish drills Three Swords 2021 and Silver Sabre 2021.
Putin must be wetting himself laughing.

Catfish 04-13-21 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockstar (Post 2741954)
Maybe if we returned the Horst Wessel you could install a couple of cannons on it and use that. :)

:haha:

a bit OT here but quite interesting, about the "Eagle":
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33543706

Catfish 04-13-21 08:24 AM

Russia calls U.S. an adversary, warns its warships to avoid Crimea

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN2C00WD

Rockstar 04-13-21 09:10 AM

Its too bad people thought war was somehow a better alternative to peaceful relations with Russia.

That the lemmings were told to believe peaceful solutions are considered collusion. Lol

Now as warships approach the Black Sea and we've just been accused of being an adversary. Do any of the party lemmings have an idea what to do next? Any idea as to WHY were doing this? Im only asking because the now silent majority here insisted upon it happening by voting for it and I was hoping they might break their silence and enlighten us.

Catfish 04-13-21 09:26 AM

You could add a few carriers, you have enough of them.
Only to properly de-escalate the situation :D

I may be critical of Russia, but all this is getting ridculous.

mapuc 04-13-21 09:36 AM

I thought that USAN already had some warship in that area.

Seem to recall some incident. Maybe it's from somewhere else.

I can't speak for others than myself.

I deeply hope they will find a peaceful solution. I DON'T like war.
Especially a war who most likely will turn from conventional to Nuke

Markus

Rockstar 04-13-21 10:34 AM

Well, in my opinion, with the exception of El Whacko, all of us has been through this before. Its all going to boil down to who can remain on alert status the longest before they run out of money to maintain their position.

Neither the U.S. the Brits or NATO has any intention to be the first to pull the trigger. Like I said before, we won the cold war because capitalism works and we were able to outspend our opponent. I'd bet big money that old cold war strategy is our current strategy in Ukraine too.

mapuc 04-13-21 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockstar (Post 2742065)
Well, in my opinion, with the exception of El Whacko, all of us has been through this before. Its all going to boil down to who can remain on alert status the longest before they run out of money to maintain their position.

Neither the U.S. the Brits or NATO has any intention to be the first to pull the trigger. Like I said before, we won the cold war because capitalism works and we were able to outspend our opponent. I'd bet big money that old cold war strategy is our current strategy in Ukraine too.

We all have our beliefs and political standpoint.

I chose to believe what Rockstar wrote-because it would mean peace instead of war and I like that.

Markus

Rockstar 04-13-21 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapuc (Post 2742088)
We all have our beliefs and political standpoint.

I chose to believe what Rockstar wrote-because it would mean peace instead of war and I like that.

Markus

Sure we may have absolutely no intention to be first to pull the trigger. Still, it is a very dangerous game we are playing. There is going to come a time when Putin must make a choice to either fish or cut bait. I think its at that point things have the greatest chance of going hot, time will tell. Or his troops walk because the Russian economy can't pay them.

mapuc 04-13-21 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockstar (Post 2742091)
Sure we may have absolutely no intention to be first to pull the trigger. Still, it is a very dangerous game we are playing. There is going to come a time when Putin must make a choice to either fish or cut bait. I think its at that point things have the greatest chance of going hot, time will tell. Or his troops walk because the Russian economy can't pay them.

On that I'm sure-NATO will not be the first to pull the trigger-what my concern is that when Putin have given his generals order to invade Donbass region NATO will response and be third part pulling the trigger.

The second part to pull will be the Ukrainian defence forces. They could also be them who makes the first step-a preemptive strike.

Markus

Rockstar 04-13-21 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapuc (Post 2742117)
On that I'm sure-NATO will not be the first to pull the trigger-what my concern is that when Putin have given his generals order to invade Donbass region NATO will response and be third part pulling the trigger.

The second part to pull will be the Ukrainian defence forces. They could also be them who makes the first step-a preemptive strike.

Markus

I wouldn't worry too much about those Ukrop. I seriously doubt they could fight their way out of wet paper sack. Russian forces would steam roll right over them and they know it.

Its a waiting game and the biggest economy wins. But dont underestimate those Russians. They been playing this game as long as we have, Im sure they still have a few cards to play which could allow them to get their way without firing a shot too.

Skybird 04-13-21 03:29 PM

You underestimate the Ukrainians. They are veterans now, they got trainign by US trainers, and modern aTGMs. As I linked to a report from 2015, US army soldiers fidn thatz they take lessons formt he Ukrainians, for the reaosn fo nthat past wars of the US were no wars against an enemy the likes of the Russians. Major parts of the ground troops do not know by experience how it is to be at the recieving end of modern precision fire and artillery strikes, nor are they used to expect that the enemy can get that close to them to attack themselves with tanks and missiles. Rebellious shepards and unmotivated Arab troops without high tech equipment and proper training and with old weapons, being reported and attacked early by air force and artillery and drones, is one thing. A Russian doctrine-trained mechanised combat force with battle experience and modern equipment and a steamnrollign artillery and missile firepower- that is quite anotzer thing. And such an enemy the US never has had.

The problem of the Ukrianian groudn forces is not so much experience, of that they probably have more than the Americans (or who else has fought the Russians in the past six years...?). But its logistics, and numbers.

The russians tolerated the dloeivery of modern rifles and ATGMs to the ukraine in recent years. But there is a trigger point beyiond which they will not tolerate it anymore - when it becomes too dangerous for them. At that point they will do what everybody would do: they will strike.

Biden'ÄS offering of a summit, imo is a msitake. It signals weakness and lacking detemrination. It does not matter if that is what Biden is indeed, or not, its completely irrelevant. Its what his gesture will be interpreted as. And the interpretation will be: weakness, and lacking determination.

Skybird 04-13-21 04:12 PM

Beyond all this theoretical talking, one scenario should be taken as absolutely possible as well: that what looks like war preparations, indeed is what it looks like: preparations for wanted war. Maybe meant that serious that the Russians do not even try to hide them anymore, like they hid the annexing of the Crimean in 2014.

It could very well be that they are serious again, like in 2014. One should not be too surprised, if the Russian troops amassed suddenly indeed move into the Donbass.