SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   COLD WATERS (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=268)
-   -   Killerfish's next title: Cold Waters is announced! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=227845)

jaop99 10-07-16 05:45 PM

No Russian sub playables? In Atlantic Fleet you can be British or German, why not in this game?

subunit 10-07-16 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaop99 (Post 2439325)
No Russian sub playables? In Atlantic Fleet you can be British or German, why not in this game?

The dynamic campaign in AF was the weakest part of the game next to subs. I would rather see them nail one dynamic campaign before they try to have one for each side, personally.

Hawk66 10-08-16 01:43 AM

@Julhelm: I'm a big fan of Red Storm Rising, so can't wait for your sim :)

Maybe you could consider the following points:

- ASW done by helos is very weak in RSR (only single sonobuoy, no lines of sonobuys, no real life tactics applied here)
- ASW planes completely missing in RSR (tactical battle)
- Frankly, I am not sure by myself but I have the gutfeeling that the 'mirror contact' challenge, dealing with the towed array, should be somehow included, since this is one of the biggest cons of the TA

Any thoughts on this ?

biosthetique 10-08-16 02:42 PM

That sounds like an awesome tactical game for the fans of DW and SSN.

And I love the need for attention to detail and realistic underwater sound propagation which will be different from the mixed layer, the surface channel, thermocline and to the isothermal.
:Kaleun_Applaud:
Just one question any plans for MP?....Like in the good old days!

Julhelm 10-08-16 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk66 (Post 2439362)
@Julhelm: I'm a big fan of Red Storm Rising, so can't wait for your sim :)

Maybe you could consider the following points:

- ASW done by helos is very weak in RSR (only single sonobuoy, no lines of sonobuys, no real life tactics applied here)
- ASW planes completely missing in RSR (tactical battle)
- Frankly, I am not sure by myself but I have the gutfeeling that the 'mirror contact' challenge, dealing with the towed array, should be somehow included, since this is one of the biggest cons of the TA

Any thoughts on this ?

There can be multiple helos in combat, and they generally screen the convoy, flying from spot to spot listening with their dipping sonars, until they detect you. When they do, they'll head in your direction dropping sonobouys and listening with their dipping sonars. They operate in pairs so one helo will track you while the other goes for the kill. They can carry either depth charges or torpedoes.

The game also features both the Il-38 and Tu-142, which may also show up in combat. How they operate depends on if you are detected during transit. If you have been, they may already be dropping sonobuy barriers at the beginning of combat. If not, they will be screening the taskforce and when someone detects you, they will be vectored towards your position, dropping sonobouys and attacking you with bombs or torpedoes. The enemies are datalinked, so if a surface ship or helo has a contact on you, they may call down fire from the loitering aircraft.

As for the ambigous contact with the TA, IIRC all you had to do to resolve it in SC/DW was to make a turn and watch which contact didn't move. In most cases you will already know the general direction the enemy is coming from courtesy of intel reports and convergence zone detection so that makes the feature as such kind of moot.

CCIP 10-08-16 09:32 PM

Oh gosh.

I just learned about this. Very excited and wishing you all the best! RSR is still a game design classic that in many ways was never topped, and I would be very happy indeed to see some of the good things about it revisited :up:

Oberon 10-09-16 07:56 AM

Wow, sounds like ASW aircraft are going to be a real menace!

Perfect! :yeah:

strykerpsg 10-09-16 11:35 PM

Now that they've announced a potential for additional playable units beyond the sub, take my money! You already had me at realistic sensors and modern sub play.

Italian Captain 10-10-16 02:51 AM

I'm looking forward to get this game!!

:Kaleun_Applaud::Kaleun_Applaud:

Wassner 10-10-16 07:46 AM

Where is the best place to follow the development on this game?

Kaye T. Bai 10-12-16 02:23 PM

A modern sub game? About time! :up:

Hopefully the game will be moddable so we can add newer units. :)

tonibamestre 10-13-16 04:56 AM

Yeah, to be in Command of surface vessels could be cool aswell, specially Carriers .

FPSchazly 10-13-16 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julhelm (Post 2439453)
As for the ambigous contact with the TA, IIRC all you had to do to resolve it in SC/DW was to make a turn and watch which contact didn't move. In most cases you will already know the general direction the enemy is coming from courtesy of intel reports and convergence zone detection so that makes the feature as such kind of moot.

It is your guys game, but I would say it should be included. I've created a crude sketch using Dangerous Waters NavMap symbology:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7529/2...f8b23029_b.jpg
(please forgive me if some of the colors are incorrect, I am colorblind :D)

You know the general direction the enemy is coming from, but if you're headed straight towards the enemy, you can get a situation like this where you don't know which one is true. If you end up going with the starboard reciprocal, you're going to get a course that is heading more south southeast than the true contact which is headed west southwest.

I'm not sure how you guys are handling sonar right now, but I think this is something that should be included, or at least considered, in some fashion.

Nippelspanner 10-13-16 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FPSchazly (Post 2440393)
(please forgive me if some of the colors are incorrect, I am colorblind :D)

They are spot on. Or I'm colorblind as well. :o

Crimguy 10-13-16 11:22 PM

Red Storm Rising was the first simulation I ever played, in 1989 or so. Then got Wolfpack, followed by 688, and every SSI game that came out. Great stuff.

Good luck with it, you'll certainly get my kopeks :Kaleun_Cheers: