SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Women on Subs? NEAL! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=156634)

Onkel Neal 09-29-09 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna (Post 1180917)
Well, not really, but I suppose you could say that, seeing as the Gods conspired against me I don't think I had much choice in the end :doh:

What I missed most was meeting Neal and the folk/friends I made in Texas again last year.

I'm generally the first to accuse people of making up bull****ting excuses and took my RL demands a little too seriously as a result at first.

But hey! there is always next year. :DL

At least I didn't spend the time in jail like my friend James/undersealance corporal :hmmm:

If next year in London becomes a reality I would feel as if I'd made up for the despair I felt this year. :up:

I missed you too, honestly :cry:

In fact, until Horsa showed up, I was ready to declare the meet a failure--no Brits at a Subsim meet? It just ain't right.

Thankfully, Horsa carried the water for all you Brits who cannot travel out of your pwn country :hmmm: I don't wanna hear anymore about Americans don't travel abroad :D

Kpt. Lehmann 10-01-09 12:25 PM

Believe me! I wanted to go. However, it was far outside the scope of what I could afford to pay... AND I had to study for my certification exam that fell on the weekend of the meet.

I'd have LOVED to have a nice little heart-to-heart conversation with Carotio.

TLAM Strike 10-01-09 01:38 PM

Cross post from the other thread on this subject (the one with almost no posts)

Quote:

Of the 42 countries that operate submarines, Sweden, Spain, Norway, Canada and Australia allow women to serve on them...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092503385.html

One thing that article dosn't mention is that Norway has also had a Female CO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solveig_Krey

BTW Norway operates(ed) Kobben class subs which are about the size of the Control Room of a 688 class sub. So the USN should just ask them how they intergaded woman in to the crew, because whatever problems could crop up in something that size they must have delt with them on the first week.

SteamWake 10-01-09 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLAM Strike (Post 1182131)
BTW Norway operates(ed) Kobben class subs which are about the size of the Control Room of a 688 class sub. So the USN should just ask them how they intergaded woman in to the crew, because whatever problems could crop up in something that size they must have delt with them on the first month.

Fixed for you :salute:

TLAM Strike 10-01-09 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamWake (Post 1182132)
Fixed for you :salute:

Actually with some recent medical advances that won't even be a problem much longer.

Scientists are almost done devloping a hormone regiment that can suppress a woman's monthly cycle.

ETR3(SS) 10-01-09 02:04 PM

Just a thought, but how long until they open up the SEALs to women? Opened up everything else why not that?

Onkel Neal 10-01-09 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann (Post 1182084)
Believe me! I wanted to go. However, it was far outside the scope of what I could afford to pay... AND I had to study for my certification exam that fell on the weekend of the meet.

I'd have LOVED to have a nice little heart-to-heart conversation with Carotio.

That's the great thing about these meetings, you really get a chance to know these people we call Subsim guys in a good setting. We all have our quirks and personalities, but I have not found a case yet where I cannot enjoy speaking with another fellow at a meet.

I'm goin' down 10-01-09 08:18 PM

while you are ....

While you are drinking and partying at the meeting :woot:, the Barbarinna is on Patrol in the Arabian Gulf, saving your asses.:smug:

antikristuseke 10-02-09 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) (Post 1182148)
Just a thought, but how long until they open up the SEALs to women? Opened up everything else why not that?

If they can get through selection, why the hell not?

Onkel Neal 10-02-09 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antikristuseke (Post 1182400)
If they can get through selection, why the hell not?

As long as they don't lower the selection standards, why not?

antikristuseke 10-02-09 08:38 AM

Agreed, the standards need to stay as rigorous.

ETR3(SS) 10-02-09 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1182445)
As long as they don't lower the selection standards, why not?

But you and I both know they will. Everybody bitches that women can do the job just as well as a man. Well if that's the case why do they only need to do 20 sit ups, 30 push ups, AND get an additional 5mins on their run times? Men are required to perform three times as much to pass physical standards. Speaking from personal experience the Navy is full of double standards when it comes to the women. :nope:

AVGWarhawk 10-02-09 09:22 AM

Quote:

Everybody bitches that women can do the job just as well as a man.
There are some jobs that women will always do better than men.

ETR3(SS) 10-02-09 10:28 AM

I don't see there being a market for male egg donors either AVG. :har:

AVGWarhawk 10-02-09 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) (Post 1182502)
I don't see there being a market for male egg donors either AVG. :har:

I was talking about baking cookies :hmmm: