SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter Online (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   A new SHO film - engaging a convoy (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=199030)

eschemschnuz 10-21-12 11:50 PM

Just had a quick look at the YT clip. Not too crazy about having a guy in ze ts'hick Djerman axe-zent ts'rying to explain everyts'ing inzide zwei meenoot.

Aside from that, i'm looking forward to seeing how the "wolfpack" dynamic will play out. it's the one thing that's been effectively missing in all the SH incarnations.

TorpX 10-22-12 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johan_d (Post 1948089)
Looks awfull.. even free is too expensive!:down:

My feelings exactly.

desertstriker 11-02-12 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whyme943 (Post 1948578)
Oh, I would happily take a silent hunter like either o those. F2P is fine by me. However, SHO is browser based, unlike WOT and WOWarplanes. This severely limits what the debs can do. (Resulting in that tiny rendr of the world through the periscope). Many an excellent series that had fallen out of mainstream favor has been revived by an infusion of F2Pers into the franchise. But all examples of such things I can think of have been downloadable clients.

too true with this part one game that went F2P (star trek online) saw a major influx of players
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Budokan (Post 1949577)
Hoo boy.

I think I just died a little bit inside.

:agree:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus7 (Post 1948950)
What I see in that trailer doesnt impress me.
Cant feel any adrenaline in the process.
The ability, or rather necessity, to switch between different subs totally distorces/destroys/denies the feeling of being in command of an u-boot

your right seems like an empty stream of zeros and ones. no real flavor...

Nemesis1024 11-05-12 09:14 AM

Can anyone say cheddar?

After updating the graphics it can almost look the same as this: http://i46.tinypic.com/2hekkll.gif

Though I'm honestly not sure what to think about it....on one hand I can say it might not be that bad after playing Battlestar Galactica Online (which is browser based), it seemed to have okish graphics for being flash based. On the other hand all I can think about it the huge step backwards Ubi have taken while creating this "thing"...it seems that they have taken their eye off of a true subsim and turned it into a button spamming arcade shoot em up.

Gendall 11-09-12 04:06 PM

Definitively not for me...

And did you noticed that Ubi themself don't believe in it... They programed a german robot to do the speach ^^

Seriously, the ONLY good point of SH5 was the free moving inside the sub... Now, this is not a "set back" it is "the most outrageous setback"... Even without the free moving SH3 and 4 are way much better.

Harald_Lange 11-22-12 04:53 PM

I reserve judgement until I've played it, personally I'm optimistic.

Cybermat47 11-22-12 05:47 PM

It looks good...for a 90's arcade game :D

popcorn2721 11-22-12 08:40 PM

If it looks like crap and smells like crap, it probably is crap... or maybe the new silent hunter online game from UBI. It never ceases to amaze me how UBI manages to find new ways to foul up a game. :/\\!!

brett25 02-05-13 04:24 PM

Meh....

....back to sh3 gwx/nygm

flag4 02-06-13 04:38 PM

..how will they induce tension - anxiety?
..how will they crank up the panic levels?

im quite impressed by the look. and yet it looks a bit flat.

what kind of market research did they do to realise this was wanted?

good luck to them - maybe people will play it then find the other SH titles and get into 2-3-4 and 5?

feels like a bit of a gamble all the same.:salute:

flag4 02-19-13 05:13 PM

ive watched it again. and i think it looks awful. it may be decieving the way it was run, with the german voice over, but something is lacking. it lacks power. it looks too smooth - click click boom boom - done.

im confused...im going to bed...:Kaleun_Sleep:

Runnybabbit 03-15-13 08:10 PM

Opinion..

I have to be honest and firstly say that I prefer to play allied, and therefore, Silent Hunter 4 is the incarnation for me. With the mods available and the superb work put in by the unpaid enthusiasts that create the mods, I think that (this) game is very good indeed!

Obviously, I haven't played SHO so far, so I will reserve judgement. However, I have played World of Tanks for over a year, and though I currently have more than 9 months left of a premium subscription to that game left to run, I have (literally) walked away from playing it. Reason?! Simply that I got fed up with the lack of any real understanding of 'team play' with the exception of a minority, and also quickly became aware of the financial angle of the game developers, who (obviously) want to maximise profits.

I strongly suspect, and expect Ubisoft to go the same way with SHO, and judging them by their 'loyalty' to the Subsim community so far, I don't have very high hopes that they will deliver for us..

Just my opinion, and apologies in advance for my negativity!

vanjast 03-22-13 03:03 PM

There must be a 'money grubbing' strategy in there somewhere for UBI.. and it probably has something to do with layout-vs-income, and they see this idea as cost efficient.

The guy that sold them this story would be able to sell ice to an Eskimo, sand to an Arab. :D

The PC market is probably not their target market, but smart phones and ipads.. etc. This'll open the door for a next generation serious sim for dis-serving fans
:cool:

flag4 05-05-13 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antar (Post 1945923)

god. that was dull.:down:

Naruto17141 08-31-13 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What do i do on this part of the tutorial? :S