SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] The Battle for the Baltic (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=159888)

Kvazzz 01-08-10 11:09 AM

Has anyone managed to hit anything? I was shooting a ship on anchor in Kotka from 700 meters and missed twice. I mean, I might not be a :arrgh!:, but TWICE, come on!

Do I need to know anything different about torpedoes here?

sergei 01-08-10 11:45 AM

They do not turn after leaving the tubes. They just go straight ahead.
I know that the Russian subs of the period had only a rudimentary fire control system. It is probably to simulate that. They cannot transmit gyro angles to the torpedoes.
You have to aim by turning the boat, like a WW1 sub.
Easiest way to do this is use the TDC to set up a zero gyro angle shot.
Or use a lead angle calculator like this http://www.couscouscrabcakes.com/okane.html
I know the Russian 53-58 torpedo goes either 30.5 or 44.5 knots.
Or just estimate it and fire a spread along his track.
Sure makes things challenging!
And I was pulling my hair out until I figured the torps do not turn!
Good luck :DL

EDIT:L There is also an electric torpedo, the ET-80 available after 1943. This goes at 29 knots. I do not know if this one is capable of turning after leaving the tubes.

AOTD_MadMax 01-08-10 04:04 PM

Nice work !:yeah:

It seems that the planes are Models from IL2.

My question is how do you worked out these planes.
I need better Models for Nakajima Ki 43, Ki 44, Ki84 and Kawasaki Ki 61 for FOTRS !

Is it possible to help me ?

Greets

Maddy

DarkFish 01-08-10 07:03 PM

great mod - while nearing my patrol area I was surprised to find myself ambushed by 2 torpedo boats steaming towards me at full speed. Before I knew it half the Finnish fleet steamed towards my position, and with my "always attack"-philosophy it's needless to say I didn't last long:)

I was also pleasantly surprised to find my AI torpedo launchers on them - but used in a slightly incorrect manner as they are visible and too close to the ship.
To make the launchers invisible again, open Data\Library\ShipParts\torpspawngun.dat and uncheck the 'Visible'-box on each node.
Also, I advise you to move the launchers a little further off the ship, or the torpedoes will not launch correctly (if at all).
Poul, maybe you could fix this in a follow up version?

sergei 01-08-10 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkFish (Post 1233126)
great mod - while nearing my patrol area I was surprised to find myself ambushed by 2 torpedo boats steaming towards me at full speed.

Yeah I just got jumped by two of those suckers, barely 25km from leaving port. Seems by the time your watch crew spot the they are really close. And they're fast eh?
I'm not complaining - keeps me on my toes!

pitti 01-09-10 04:47 AM

Really a great Mod. But what a Horror-Job, you have to be "Warschau" the hole time, no realax, no time for a friendly talk with neighbours................
amazing, thank you all for this journey.

Michael

sergei 01-09-10 02:46 PM

UPDATE: I have just had a conversation with Poul via PM.
The team are planning Part 2 which will cover Soviet naval operations in the Black Sea.
But first they want to finish Part 1. They will be making Soviet uniforms, medals and awards, co-ordinates for maps, periscopes, submarine interiors. A lot of work, but I have high hopes for the team, the work they have already done is very good.

I myself am working to translate the mission orders into English, which will be ready for release soon. Then I will move onto the radio messages. Very important for immersion, but man it's a long and tedious job! I also may do a quick overhaul for the office to make it feel less like you are sitting in an office at Pearl.

I think this mod has great potential, and am glad to be involved in it in my small way.
Watch this space :DL

John_Molotov 01-09-10 03:03 PM

Any idea if they are planning to make German or Finnish sides playable?

sergei 01-09-10 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Molotov (Post 1233377)
Any idea if they are planning to make German or Finnish sides playable?

I don't think they have any plans for that at the moment. The amount of work they have before them is immense. Maybe once the whole project is finished it could be altered to do this. But such a thing would be a long time in the future.

Kvazzz 01-09-10 07:09 PM

Sergei
Thank you so much! I got my first kill this morning.

It is so much harder, the AI ships see the torpedo almost all the time and manage to avoid it.

A couple of notes, 1/3 and 2/3 ahead in russian are mixed up. The M-type's flak gun looks more like arti, I wasn't able switch to AA shells. Anyone else noticed the same?

---Dagon--- 01-09-10 08:03 PM

Sergei
I wish to praise you for that that you have dared not transfer of it mod. Works will be much as also changes which prepare in the first SP. We unfortunately did not manage to find the person which undertook a translation into English.

I am sorry for my bad English

sergei 01-10-10 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvazzz (Post 1233503)
A couple of notes, 1/3 and 2/3 ahead in russian are mixed up.

Poul noticed this and released an updated version of the sound mod that corrected this.
See post 4 of this thread
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=159892

sergei 01-10-10 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ---Dagon--- (Post 1233527)
I am sorry for my bad English

It is a lot better than my Russian :DL

Kvazzz 01-10-10 12:52 PM

to Sergei

Thank you.

Silly me, I thought it was fixed in 1.1. Oh well, off I go to kick some Finnish rear.

Karle94 01-12-10 01:45 PM

Does anyone mind if I made the Soviet Cold War subs compatible with this mod?