SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   The Hunter (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=200652)

Skybird 12-11-14 10:49 AM

Two long-standing guys had left some not so long time ago, responsible for marketing, and the web platform design, UI and menu systems. I do not know for sure, but I would not be surprised to learn that they left due to the Primal project, means: due to them disagreeing with the course of the company.

But that is just my speculation.

The effort needed for Primal would have been better spend for doing a new reserve that is very much demanded sinc elong time: Africa. And then implementing some of the new game elements in the Hunter, instead of Primal. Not to mention repairing some of the long-lasting, never-to-be-adressed issues that The Hunter also has, despite its overall joyful beauty gameplay value.

To release a new game in the year 2015 with a now clearly outdated graphics engine that was put together in the years before 2006 - well, it tells you something, doesn't it. They often excused themselves when rewfusing to adress this or that that they would not fully understand the engine. Nevertheless using that engine they still do not fully master for a new game... I hold back my trust and praise.

Betonov 12-11-14 12:38 PM

They could always rent the engine to a third party company, or maybe even a daughter company and just collect royalties for the engine.

Hunting dinosaurs would market even better. What's the thrill of hunting if you're not also the prey :arrgh!:

Skybird 12-11-14 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betonov (Post 2267878)
They could always rent the engine to a third party company, or maybe even a daughter company and just collect royalties for the engine.

Hunting dinosaurs would market even better. What's the thrill of hunting if you're not also the prey :arrgh!:

That engine looks good, but is OLD. It was made before 2006. Nobody with a sane mind would rent that anymore. Really, it looks good, but you cannot overlook that it has long since started to show its age.

Betonov 12-11-14 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 2267929)
That engine looks good, but is OLD. It was made before 2006. Nobody with a sane mind would rent that anymore. Really, it looks good, but you cannot overlook that it has long since started to show its age.

Well, if they update the engine they'd be foolish not to lease it for a dino hunting game :D
Even if the game flops, they wouldn't loose money. Just not get the extra profit from royalties.

Maybe primal will have a new engine and the classic Hunter will be updated when the Primal engine is nice and tested :hmmm:

Skybird 12-11-14 05:40 PM

Judging by the screenshots, it is one and the same old engine they use.

I think it is an attempt to milk the same old cow twice.

Mud 12-14-14 07:48 AM

1 day to go and tbh I'm looking forward to Primal.
If I must believe the countdown timer the release is Monday morning EU time.

CCIP 12-14-14 02:22 PM

Hm, I'll only give Primal consideration if it uses a more "normal" marketing model - a survival game with microtransactions is kind of a no-no to me :shifty:

Skybird 12-14-14 05:15 PM

One of the developers gets quoted with his answers on some other board or at FB. He should have said this:

No micro-transactions,
day-night cycle, weather cycle, SP in principal a MP session with just one player, multiplayer coordination recommended for taking out T-Rex, specs comparable to that for TH, same render distance like in TH (220m or 230m, something in that range). The reserve is slightly bigger than those currently in TH.

We'll see. Since the Early Access is said to be free, I maybe will have a glimpse at it. A micro-transaction subscription membership I categorically rule out for myself, if it gets pushed in through the backdoor, also any pay-to-win model or time-limited subscription for itself. I plan to stay with TH for the time being and focus on that. My subscription for it I have prolonged until December next year just not so long time ago. I will not pay for two such business models.

Nippelspanner 12-14-14 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 2268747)
...same render distance like in TH (220m or 230m, something in that range).

AHAHHAHAHA... oh my... it is nearly 2015, TWENTY FIFTEEN.
Get Real wannabe developers! :har:

It is bad enough in tH, but in "primal"?

Step forward: Giant T-Rex pops up. :timeout:
Step backward: Giant T-Rex disappears.
:doh:
Step forward: Giant T-Rex pops up. :timeout:

I can't wait to see that! :har:

CCIP 12-14-14 07:12 PM

Eh that's easy to fake, if it's a tropical island, you just make it hot and humid, then limit the fogging distance :D

It'd still be dumb, but relatively speaking, it sort of works I guess.

Speaking from experience with Stalker games, where even with more advanced mods like Misery the draw distance is shorter than even that, if balanced right, it doesn't take away from immersion. You just have to make sure it's managed right in the game.

And that's the thing, I'm not really interested in the technological side of it, what I want to see is a survival game with a good design. "Open-world "survival"" games are a dime a dozen these days, but it ain't technology or draw distance that's holding most of them back from being any good...

Skybird 12-14-14 07:53 PM

In The Hunter, drawing distances of anaimals were no serious issue to me. In Primal - I am not so sure. The animals are much bigger, they seem to be able to pose serious threats to the player, and the screenshots not only show forest areas, but also open plains.

Skybird 12-15-14 08:20 AM

Early Access shows to be not free, but costs 20 bucks.

Its not worth it for me to invest that money just to test this. Trailer video shows me the same graphcis engine and nothing that would tell me that I must get into this.

Mud 12-15-14 09:43 AM

You miss out Skybird, it's thehunter with a twist ... Thehunted

This pretty much sums up my experience, shame fraps froze :oops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AM2zu4QSbI

Nippelspanner 12-15-14 11:27 AM

Coming from Alien Isolation... I can only chuckle at that.
So far, nothing that gives me the feeling I miss out.

Yes, yes, master race elitism, I know. :D

Cybermat47 12-16-14 05:55 PM

theHunter Primal looks good. The Tyrannosaurus Rex has feathers, which is accurate.