SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Windows 7 Beta (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=146677)

Torplexed 01-11-09 02:52 PM

Gee...a Microsoft product which is getting a mostly favorable initial impression.:huh:

Looks outside to see if the sky is still in place.

Raptor1 01-11-09 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torplexed
Gee...a Microsoft product which is getting a mostly favorable initial impression.:huh:

Looks outside to see if the sky is still in place.

William the Conqueror...isn't running the show anymore, so it's not THAT unbelievable

porphy 01-11-09 03:05 PM

Quote:

FPS was on average just a little bit higher, but loading times were a lot quicker than before.
Yes, thats my impression as well. Both Black Shark and Steel Beasts Pro PE loads faster than with XP. And as you say Fincuan, shutting down and starting up the OS is pretty fast as well.

Cheers Porphy

Task Force 01-11-09 03:08 PM

Hmmm, might try MS7 beta.:hmm:

Task Force 01-11-09 03:35 PM

Does windows 7 beta come with a time trial period.(stops working after a while?):hmm:

Raptor1 01-11-09 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Task Force
Does windows 7 beta come with a time trial period.(stops working after a while?):hmm:

August, 2009

Digital_Trucker 01-11-09 03:38 PM

Quote:

30 days if you don't get a key

I have no problems getting a key, but I can't seem to get the damn download to work :damn:

Raptor1 01-11-09 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
Quote:

I have no problems getting a key, but I can't seem to get the damn download to work :damn:

Same here actually

Task Force 01-11-09 03:42 PM

august 09.:hmm: And its surpost to be released in august 09 too.:hmm: Im probably gonna wait. last thing I want to have is august 09 to come up and have to go back to vista. (would be really depressing going from a fast computer to a slower one again.):lol:

Thomen 01-11-09 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
Quote:

Stupid question: Did you try to download it with IE or Firefox?
It woudlnt dl with Firefox, had to use IE instead. ;)

Task Force 01-11-09 03:44 PM

Oooowwww. 64bit version. That will let my processor run to its full potential.:lol:

Raptor1 01-11-09 03:45 PM

Quote:

august 09.:hmm: And its surpost to be released in august 09 too.:hmm: Im probably gonna wait. last thing I want to have is august 09 to come up and have to go back to vista. (would be really depressing going from a fast computer to a slower one again.):lol:

Dual boot it, use the Vista regularly so you don't get too used to it

Fincuan 01-11-09 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomen
It woudlnt dl with Firefox, had to use IE instead. ;)

Same experience here. It wouldn't download at all with Opera, and even with IE I had to hit download almost five times before it started. After that I worked well.

Digital_Trucker 01-11-09 06:21 PM

I tried Firefox with the IE plugin and IE itself and neither would work (although I got a ton of keys:rotfl:). Finally found direct links to the iso files and am downloading the 64 bit now.

See here for the direct links.

Anyone know of some good (ie FREE) drive imaging sofware? I'm contemplating setting up a second partition on my system drive for the beta, but I'd like to image the drive before I shrink the partition that my XP install is in now.

SteveW1 01-12-09 12:14 AM

I downloaded both versions of Windows 7 Beta and I gotta say they did a good job of compressing the files as I did a comparison on just the windows folder in each version, 64 bit download is 3.3gb - windows folder expands out to 11gb, 32 bit download is 2.43gb - windows folder expands out to 7.3gb.

But I gotta say both versions run quicker than XP Pro which I was using and both versions installed under 25mins and thats going for a full install. Likeing this Beta very much at the moment having an issue with one or two things but I think its just bugs that need ironing out like most new OS's.

my 2 cents

Steve