SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   What are you reading right now? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=94071)

TLAM Strike 05-10-07 02:22 PM

Well I'm reading:
Jane's Battleships of the 20th century
and
Final Bearing by George Wallace and Don Keith

ajrimmer42 05-17-07 01:04 PM

atm i'm reading "Night of the Hawk" by Dale Brown.
Read the prologue here: http://www.megafortress.com/books/book05p.htm

tedhealy 05-17-07 01:18 PM

Finally finished Thunder Below! Great book, easily beats out Iron Coffins as my favorite sub book. It's a true shame that Admiral Fluckey now has alzheimer's and has little or no recollection of his past heroic deeds and accomplishments.

Moving on to read Clear the Bridge next.

wireman 05-19-07 06:55 AM

Just finished "Hitler's grey wolves: u-boats in the indian ocean" and now starting "Germany's last mission to japan: the failed voyage of U-234".

Biggles 05-22-07 03:24 PM

Currently reading "Catch 22" by Joseph Heller. Bloody hilarious:rotfl:

Castout 05-23-07 03:49 AM

Over 1/3 into "At War at Sea: Sailors and naval combat in the twentieth century" by Ronald H. Spector. Fascinating reading. A must have for enthutiast in naval history in 20th century.

Chock 05-25-07 09:39 AM

Currently reading: 'Smoke and Mirrors - Q-ships against the U-boats in the First World War' by Deborah Lake (ISBN 0-7509-4605-9). Not got very far into it yet, as I only bought it yesterday, but it's okay so far, and interesting in that it is written by a woman, sort of unusual for the subject I guess...

:D Chock

Iron Budokan 05-25-07 06:34 PM

The First World War by Hew Strachan. Frankly, it's not that good. I'm 1/4 of the way through and about to put it aside. I'm also reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, but that's pretty much catch as catch can. (I had read it before in school.)

But I finished Castles of Steel by Robert Massie last week and liked it a lot. In this history Churchill comes across as a blundering fool, I now understand and appreciate Jellicoe more than I used to, and I learned Beatty was pretty much a p*ssy-whipped prima donna.

Good writing with a strong narrative. I highly recommend Castles of Steel. :up:

perisher 05-25-07 10:19 PM

A Brief History of Mutiny by Richard Woodman.

Well written history of major mutinies from the 16th Century to the present day, mostly British, but also US and other navies. Takes time to put the Bounty mutiny into its proper historical perspective.

I also recently read the same author's The Real Cruel Sea, an in depth history of the Battle of the Atlantic from the point of view of the merchant seaman. Excellent.

Radtgaeb 05-26-07 11:18 PM

"Don Quixote" by Miguel de Cervantes, "Pilgrem's Progress", "Holiness"-J.C. Ryle, and "A Gentleman Thief"-Leblanc.

I like to go through several books at a time.

TLAM Strike 05-29-07 04:40 PM

Red Phonex by Larry Bond. I picked it up for only 50 cents! :rock:

FIREWALL 05-29-07 05:00 PM

Right now I'm reading this great thread. I've read some of the books posted but I've gotten a great shopping list from all of you.

Thank You All :up:

Radtgaeb 05-29-07 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggles
Currently reading "Catch 22" by Joseph Heller. Bloody hilarious:rotfl:

I just picked that up as well. Sooooo Random! :rotfl:

Switch 05-29-07 09:48 PM

Hi Folks...

Currently finishing up reading Pride Runs Deep by R. Cameron Cooke published by Jove in 1995 (ISBN 0-515-13833-9).

This was Mr. Cooke's first historical fiction novel set in WWII Pacific where a seasoned veteran sub skipper must whip a hard luck crew into fighting trim. A great read I recommend...

On deck is The Bravest Man by William Tuohy published by Ballintine/Presido Press (ISBN 0-89141-889-X). The story of Richard O'Kane and USS Tang. Should be a great read too...

And thanks for the many tips regarding titles to look out for, got quite a list now :up:

Switch

The Avon Lady 05-30-07 01:08 AM

Civilization and Its Enemies: The Next Stage of History, by Lee Harris.