SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-27-10, 08:31 AM   #1156
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117
Uploads: 0

The problem with that big compass is that it's not scaled properly in SH5. If you noticed in the SH3 screenshot, the inner rings can be used to draw accurate distances quickly. In SH5 the scale of it changes so that depending on the zoom level you're at you'll get wildly different values for the same distance of line. I'll try to take some screenshots that show that at work.

Here's the documentation for that compass ruler and how it's supposed to work.

Also simply deleting the night_filter.dds seemed to work OK in a quick test. In SH5 the night filter did seem like you were in red light mode with little lamps providing illumination. In SH5 it was more just a uniform washed out look. Probably just needs tweaking.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 08:37 AM   #1157
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by panosrxo View Post
does your observation scope work? mine is messed up. Scope is too low, part of it is out of the screen.
I use minimal dials.

can you show a screenshot of the problem?
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 08:45 AM   #1158
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
The problem with that big compass is that it's not scaled properly in SH5. If you noticed in the SH3 screenshot, the inner rings can be used to draw accurate distances quickly.
With regards to scalling has anyone figured out the problem with the Bearing tool only being visible on the 2 most zoomed in levels.
Ie the 2 zoom levels where it displays the Sub a top down graphic rather than the Circle and tail of all the oter zoom levels.

If we could figure what is making it switch between the circle/tail icon and the Sub icon we may find a way to get the 3000m Bearing working.
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 08:47 AM   #1159
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7 View Post
With regards to scalling has anyone figured out the problem with the Bearing tool only being visible on the 2 most zoomed in levels.
Ie the 2 zoom levels where it displays the Sub a top down graphic rather than the Circle and tail of all the oter zoom levels.

If we could figure what is making it switch between the circle/tail icon and the Sub icon we may find a way to get the 3000m Bearing working.
the MapControl controller controls this. Haven't found a way to make it change the zoom level at which it switches (set at second to last and appears hard coded)
Old 04-27-10, 08:53 AM   #1160
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

If the compass is not scalling properly maybe it would be possible to scale it manually to the correct size in Photoshop and use a different image for each level of zoom? That might actually produce better results anyway as it maybe better/sharper than the games inbuilt scaling engine?

I switched to the SH3 style UI today with the min TDC dials mod and found that the teleport controls seem to be all messed up some controls doing nothing when clicked others dumping you off the boat. I previously used the SH5 enhanced UI and all was fine there.
Old 04-27-10, 08:58 AM   #1161
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman View Post
If the compass is not scalling properly maybe it would be possible to scale it manually to the correct size in Photoshop and use a different image for each level of zoom? That might actually produce better results anyway as it maybe better/sharper than the games inbuilt scaling engine?

I switched to the SH3 style UI today with the min TDC dials mod and found that the teleport controls seem to be all messed up some controls doing nothing when clicked others dumping you off the boat. I previously used the SH5 enhanced UI and all was fine there.
interesting I'll have to try it and see for myself
Old 04-27-10, 09:04 AM   #1162
panosrxo
Planesman

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
can you show a screenshot of the problem?

Screenshot is 1280x720 but the problem is about the same with 1920x1080
panosrxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 09:05 AM   #1163
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panosrxo View Post
does your observation scope work? mine is messed up. Scope is too low, part of it is out of the screen.
I use minimal dials.

are the other scopes (attack, uzo) ok?

EDIT:

just looked at obs scope in minimal dials and it's my error. Don't know how some value got changed but it did......

Here is a fix for that problem:

http://www.filefront.com/16277129/Mi...bs-bug-fix.7z/
Old 04-27-10, 09:34 AM   #1164
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

added another tool to map tools: Toggle draggable compass. This allows you to use either the original draggable compass in v1.9.0 or the compass recommended by kylania. When the toggle draggable compass is not selected (grey color) you get the original draggable compass in v1.9.0. When selected (orange) you get the new one.

unselected:

selected:
Old 04-27-10, 09:42 AM   #1165
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Quote:
the MapControl controller controls this. Haven't found a way to make it change the zoom level at which it switches (set at second to last and appears hard coded)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman View Post
Looks like that may be our only option so. If we create an DDS to correspond to each zoom level, then as we zoom in/out make all the images bar the one we want hidden. Don't see why that wouldn't work.
After all the TAI Map gives us a distance scale, just need to create the bearing to that scale for each level.

Edit: Only snag may be centering it on the sub (Circle/Tails) icon when the map is scrolled around. (Sure its poss)
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 09:50 AM   #1166
Athlonic
Chief

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 2

Quote:
are the other scopes (attack, uzo) ok?

EDIT:

just looked at obs scope in minimal dials and it's my error. Don't know how some value got changed but it did......

Here is a fix for that problem:

http://www.filefront.com/16277129/Mi...bs-bug-fix.7z/
Thanks had this prob too, if only Ubisoft releases fixes as fast as you ^^

TheDarkWraith : The man who mods faster than we are able to test his work !
(I have downloaded the 1.6.0 version on friday, and now already a 1.9.0 out !)

You are the man !

Athlonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 09:53 AM   #1167
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7 View Post
Looks like that may be our only option so. If we create an DDS to correspond to each zoom level, then as we zoom in/out make all the images bar the one we want hidden. Don't see why that wouldn't work.
After all the TAI Map gives us a distance scale, just need to create the bearing to that scale for each level.

Edit: Only snag may be centering it on the sub (Circle/Tails) icon when the map is scrolled around. (Sure its poss)
yes that snag is a valid one. It's doable but it won't be pretty. You'd have to hook into the AnimationStopped of Page Default Hud and tell it to draw the overlay where the sub is located every update. This would be happening every 0.06 second......highly inefficient. We need to find a better way.

just looked into the Page Default Hud.py file to see if there was a way to hook into the zooming/unzooming of the map and there is:

def ZoomInButton_Clicked( sender ):
PageDefaultHud_MapGroup_Mapcontrol.ZoomIn()

def ZoomOutButton_Clicked( sender ):
PageDefaultHud_MapGroup_Mapcontrol.ZoomOut()

As you can see the Mapcontrol controller takes care of everything.......
Old 04-27-10, 09:57 AM   #1168
Defiance
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 672

It just gets better n better

Cheers

Bye

Def
Defiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 10:04 AM   #1169
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Reaper wrote: "After all the TAI Map gives us a distance scale, just need to create the bearing to that scale for each level"

Another snag is that the distance scale on the TAI is currently incorrect measure it with the ruler tool to check and you'll see what I mean. can the distance scale be corrected or is it hardcoded into the map controller?
Old 04-27-10, 10:09 AM   #1170
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKLR View Post
A few questions, if i may:

Are ENE, ESE, WSW, WNW also included in possible course readouts for contacts ? I see no mention of them in your picture and also, judging by the contact's tail in the picture, isn't it traveling on a ESE course rather than a NE one as reported ?
this is hilarious! I sat here for about 20 mins when I was making this part of v1.9.0 trying to figure out what to call all the intermediate directions. I came up with:

N,NNE,NE,E,etc...

my NE should actually be ENE.....I'll make the necessary changes

The course reported for the contact is it's initial course when it was added to the nav map. It does not get updated in real time.

Tags
dbrn, favorite, new ui