SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-21-12, 03:02 AM   #1
misha1967
Commander

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0
Default Why won't those ships SINK already?!

OK, I'm nitpicking now.

I think we can all agree that the sinkings in the stock version of SH5 were a bit too "theatrical", if that's the right expression. I remember only too well the first ship you shoot at in the stock tutorial which promptly blows up, then goes below in a matter of seconds. Still, it looked good but it was hardly realistic unless you had a lucky shot that just happened to break her keel.

That's not what I'm looking for. I do want ships I've sunk to behave realistically. One thing where the mods have certainly improved things is when you compare to the tanker that you sink in the stock tutorial where it has the deck below the waves, yet it refuses to sink because you haven't yet exceeded the arbitrary maximum coded into the game. You have to either waste another torpedo on it or sink it with your deck gun to get it to go below even though it's quite obvious from looking at it that it's not going to survive. The modders fixed that by making fires etc. continue to add damage over time which is great and a much needed addition.

But now I have the same problem that I had in SH3: In order to make sinkings more "realistic", I literally have to wait around for hours to see if my target actually sinks. I have no visual indicator anymore. For instance, I just sank a freighter and the sim reported it as sunk and added it to my journal, yet from looking at it, it wasn't in the least bit about to sink. Sure, it had some fires on it, but it still had a bow spray even though it was dead in the water.

I just miss the epic sinking sequences, I guess, where you see the bow or the stern going below the waves, but they're not there anymore. I can't honestly tell the difference from looking at a target whether it's mortally wounded and sinking or if it's just steaming along with a few fires on it. I know that if I were to stick around for half a day, I'd find out if it eventually sank, but I miss the sinking sequences to let me know.

Small thing, I know, I can just go by the message box to see when my target is going to count, but I'd like to see at least a few targets actually sink. It's better than the old state where you could have a target unable to survive because its decks were below the waves, yet it wouldn't sink, but isn't there some middle ground where you can acually SEE the sinking of it?

My mod soup:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\MODS]

Accurate German Flags
RemoveLogoIntroTheDarkWraith
sobers green spinning thing SH5
No Damn Bubbles, No Damn Halo Mod
Dynamic Environment SH5 Basemod (normal ) V2.1
Dynamic Environment SH5 BrighterNights V2.1
Dynamic Environment SH5 Sounds V2.1
No magic skills v1.5 MCCD compatible
MightyFine Crew Mod 1.2.1 Alt faces
MFCM 1.2.1 OPTIONAL crash_dive workaround
MCCD_1.04_MFCM_1.2.1_compatible
Speech fixes and additions (german version)
SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2
SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2.2 Patch
Fuel Gauge WoGaDi_SteelViking's Interior
Stormys DBSM SH5 v1.3 Basemod (no beards)
Stormys DBSM SH5 v1.3 additional crew sounds beta6 and hotfix (no beards)
sobers best ever fog V9 SH5
Small_trees_SH5_V1
sobers 3D deck spray mod V7
Window_Lights_Redone_V1
NOZAURIO'S SKIN (Standar No Emblem) v-1.0.0
Pascal-sh5-Crew-Uniforms. 12.2011
FX_Update_0_0_19_ByTheDarkWraith
IRAI_0_0_30_ByTheDarkWraith (for Sober Fog)
IRAI_upgrade_to_v_0_0_31
NewUIs_TDC_6_9_0_ByTheDarkWraith
Manos Scopes-patch for 16x9
Critical hits 1.1 Torpedos
KZS Hull wetness for U-Boats + co tower and deck_revised_by_TheDarkWraith
OPEN HORIZONS II_base v1.7
OPEN HORIZONS II_enviro v1.7
OHII v1.7 patch1
OH II Minefield map for TDWs Ui
Trevally Tutorials - All v0.2 (for TDW UI)
Trevally Automated Scripts v0.6
Trevally Harbour & Kiel Canal Pilot v2.8
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk
sobers NO water drops V1
smaller flags for Warships 1_0b
sobers hud sounds V1 SH5
Change days in bunker
stoianm colored exterior mod v2 (low color)
Shadow Improvement ModLR
Dynamic Environment SH5 Waves (normal version) V2.1
Old 03-21-12, 03:26 AM   #2
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Funny how this game has a mind of its own . I have sinkings that break in half , destroyed from fires , sink stern first , list , all diffrent .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 04:49 AM   #3
Swat
中国水兵

Downloads: 224

Yeah, me too. It seems all right to me. With the mods the sinking feels ok. Yes, sometimes it takes dozens of minutes untill the ship gets flooded completely, sometimes I surface the sub, climb to the bridge and enjoy the actual sinking.

First Patrol Of U-21 Part 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqBqInzBaGc
First Patrol Of U-21 Part 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWqyTaomDjM
Swat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 03:13 PM   #4
Bothersome
Planesman

Downloads: 64

Not to steal the thread, but Swat, that was an excellent movie about U-21 you made there in your sig. Great job. Enjoyed it much.

And to keep on topic. We need sinkings that might sometimes go off like this...

That's some real footage of a battleship going down.
Bothersome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 08:17 PM   #5
misha1967
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Funny how this game has a mind of its own . I have sinkings that break in half , destroyed from fires , sink stern first , list , all diffrent .
I know, Sober, and it is puzzling. I've seen plenty of screenshots documenting quite clearly that it's possible for the ships to sink in a myriad of ways, yet mine always sink the same way: Perfectly level and then down after having sat on the surface for ages showing no signs of ever sinking, even with as many as 8 holes under the waterline and the entire superstructure on fire.

I've even had one crack in half right down the middle and those two halves still went down straight and level.

I must be hitting them wrong or something
Old 03-22-12, 07:59 AM   #6
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha1967 View Post
I know, Sober, and it is puzzling. I've seen plenty of screenshots documenting quite clearly that it's possible for the ships to sink in a myriad of ways, yet mine always sink the same way: Perfectly level and then down after having sat on the surface for ages showing no signs of ever sinking, even with as many as 8 holes under the waterline and the entire superstructure on fire.

I've even had one crack in half right down the middle and those two halves still went down straight and level.

I must be hitting them wrong or something
You might want to reinstal TDW's FX mod to make sure the right files are there including the correct Zones.cfg file in the "Data" folder.
Old 03-22-12, 08:36 AM   #7
misha1967
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
You might want to reinstal TDW's FX mod to make sure the right files are there including the correct Zones.cfg file in the "Data" folder.
Not a bad idea, actually. I'll try that the next time I'm in port

Incidentally, is there one of the mods after FX in my current mod soup that might mess up the zones.cfg file?
Old 03-22-12, 08:58 AM   #8
Swat
中国水兵

Downloads: 224

Bothersome: Thank you, glad you enjoyed it.

First Patrol Of U-21 Part 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqBqInzBaGc
First Patrol Of U-21 Part 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWqyTaomDjM
Swat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 09:21 AM   #9
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Misha1967, I saw your post on the OHII thread and I think that is the answer.

In his FX mod, TDW made many custom tweaks to how various ships sink which only work properly with the custom Zones.cfg file that comes with his mod.

I have not looked at OHII enviro, but I presume their Zone.cfg file is only the stock file with their custom tweaks and that it does not include TDW's tweaks.
Old 03-22-12, 09:37 AM   #10
misha1967
Commander

Quote:
Misha1967, I saw your post on the OHII thread and I think that is the answer.

In his FX mod, TDW made many custom tweaks to how various ships sink which only work properly with the custom Zones.cfg file that comes with his mod.

I have not looked at OHII enviro, but I presume their Zone.cfg file is only the stock file with their custom tweaks and that it does not include TDW's tweaks.
It would seem to be that way as it's the only mod that accesses that file in my mod soup after I load FX. Now only remains the question on how to fix it, seeing as both mods are, in my opinion, absolutely impossible to do without.

[EDIT]: Hmm... Now I'm confuzzled. I compared the two zones.cfg files in WinMerge, both in my MODS folder and in the original downloaded files, and they're completely identical.

Last edited by misha1967; 03-22-12 at 09:48 AM.
misha1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 09:51 AM   #11
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Quote:
[EDIT]: Hmm... Now I'm confuzzled. I compared the two zones.cfg files in WinMerge, both in my MODS folder and in the original downloaded files, and they're completely identical.
so maybe that is not the problem, back to square one.
Old 03-22-12, 10:04 AM   #12
misha1967
Commander

Quote:
so maybe that is not the problem, back to square one.
Name of the game with this hobby, isn't it? And no, that was not a criticism. It's part of the fun if you ask me, but then again I'm strange

Still wondering if I'm sinking my targets "wrong." Since the mag pistols are historically worthless until about '41 (wouldn't want it any other way), I usually go straight for the middle of the target, about 2.5-3m below the water line. I've tried under the keel shots in '39 just to see if I could get it to work at least some of the time, but the sim's mag pistols are true to their historical counterparts. They go straight under the target without as much as a burp. Saw a full load of 4 torpedoes do just that once, even had them going at different depths from "just under the keel" to 3m below. All duds, but I'm sure I managed to scare the pants off some of the marine life in the process
Old 03-22-12, 07:22 PM   #13
darrincates
Sailor man

Downloads: 75

Quote:
... yet mine always sink the same way: Perfectly level and then down after having sat on the surface for ages showing no signs of ever sinking, even with as many as 8 holes under the waterline and the entire superstructure on fire.
I've even had one crack in half right down the middle and those two halves still went down straight and level. I must be hitting them wrong or something
Exactly! Me too! - Same deal! ... I thought it was just my soup set up gone bad or something .... It does take many, many hours for a ship to sink. I don't mind I guess ... If it's more relistic than Yes, I would rather wait the hours like in real life .. (but in real life some ships did go down in 15 minutes .... right?)

More important: I too see exactly everything you described ... is that part of the realism from another MOD or something? Or, Do ships really sink like that in real life, rather than 'movie like' as in Titanic?

Don't get me wrong ... I am not complaining at ALL ... OHII Rocks! ... and is what kept me from going back to SHIII, but this level ship sinking after many, many, hours started after I was turned onto OHII ....

I used to have a lot of mods installed, but I was still looking for Historically Accurate, Chronoligical Event Involvment for Realism sake ... and OHII delivers so far! ... Like a kid waiting outside a candy shop, I'm currently waiting at the east entrance to Scapa Flow (it's 10/12/39)
I hope I see, (and half to navigate around), those three blockade ships in the way like in real life ... I've never had so much fun since OHII and I'm addicted now ...

Anyways, pre-OH II, sinkings were probably stock as they were 'movie like' and now on this fresh install and soup, the ships go down pretty even all the time ... I don't mind waiting hours I guess, as long that is what is realistic .... I would like to go back to stock sinkings temporarily to comapre and see the difference on the same sinking done twice.

Is there a setting in a config file somewhere to set sinkings back to stock so I can toggle between stock sinkings and OHII sinkings between sessions? - Darrin

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\MODS]
Dynamic Environment SH5 Basemod (realistic version) V2.1
Dynamic Environment SH5 Waves (hurricane version) V2.1
Dynamic Environment SH5 Atlantic Floor V2.1
Sobers 3D Deck Spray Mod V7
NOZAURIO'S SKIN (U-94) v-1.0.0
FX_Update_0_0_19_ByTheDarkWraith
NewUIs_TDC_6_9_0_ByTheDarkWraith
NewUIs_TDC_6_9_0_Das_Boot_Crew_Mod_by_Illyustrator
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbances_v2_0_SH5
KZS Hull wetness for U-Boats + co tower and deck_revised_by_TheDarkWraith
OPEN HORIZONS II_full v1.7
OHII v1.7 patch1
OH II Minefield map
Trevally Automated Scripts v0.6
Krauters Automated Scripts (v5_0_0 compatible)
sobers NO water drops V1
More Crew Commands by Dialog_1.04
Sobers Rusty Deck Pack
German U-Boat Crew Language Pack
Hospitalship_lights
Shadow Improvement Mod
88mm Railgun
A Fistful of Emblems v1.51 (Weathered)
TDW_Mines_Subnets_Detectable_in_hydro (OH II v1.7)
Smaller Flags for Warships 1_0b
Patrol Routine Scripts v. 01.02 by AvM
NoBubbles
JD Realistic Depth Charge Damage and Shaking 1.0
Enhanced FunelSmoke1.2
DBM_Alarm_BackGrnd_Video_Widescreen
German U-Boat Hydrophone SFX
German U-Boat Internal Routine SFX
IO_StrategicMap_4_6_for_TDWv690
darrincates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 09:39 PM   #14
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

What you all are failing to realize is the myriad of ships added to the game by others. If those ships don't reference the new zones I created in FX_Update's zones.cfg file then you'll never see the sinking mechanics I made for them or the new effects. The only ships I know of that use my zones are the ones included in FX_Update.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 08:48 AM   #15
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
What you all are failing to realize is the myriad of ships added to the game by others. If those ships don't reference the new zones I created in FX_Update's zones.cfg file then you'll never see the sinking mechanics I made for them or the new effects. The only ships I know of that use my zones are the ones included in FX_Update.
Ah yes, I see the problem now. With the changes you made to the generic zones, any add-on ship which does not have your custom Zon. file will be very hard and very slow to sink.