SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-13-10, 12:07 AM   #286
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
Personally I think that's a bit excessive, there's maybe 5 feet of space under those decks so to get that high up and pool would be ridiculous, but maybe have a couple grease trails running down the frame from the pushrods?

Another spot I though of is the little pit full of plumbing (hydraulic, I think) behind the attack scope column and forward of the main pump in the control room, starboard side.

On a seperate note, now that I think of it, I dunno why the pushrods of those engines would be rusty in the first place... They'd seize if they really were rusty...
The exposed push rods being rusty would not cause the engine to seize as they do not contact anything. If anyone could do some research on the condition that those were kept in, I could make them look however we wanted.

About the oil, I don't think of that stain as a pool, more like just oil runoff that has not been wiped up. But, as with many things, we are running on opinions here. So, I will take the consensus of a good number of people, and I will make it however the majority want it, unless of course someone can produce research. I know that TheBeast basically thought the DER should be covered in oil spills/stains(he knows a good deal about things like this), so I could fill the floor with stains such as this and he still might not think it is enough.

In other words, I NEED everyone's opinion on the oil. How should it look, pictures would be great?

@Wolfing04, I am sorry, but I have no idea how the controllers work for flooding and damage. In fact, I don't think anyone REALLY knows how that works. For some reason(I don't know why) no one has looked into in depth. I really wish that someone would revamp the damage management system to work more like SHIII.

Oh, and don't worry about picture size, I like to have screen shots so that I can understand what people are talking about.

Edit: Keep in mind folks, this is not engine oil that we are talking about, it is heavy engine grease. It would heat up on the engine body, flow off, then cool and stay wherever it stopped flowing.

He sank 198,650 tons....who you ask?....Erich Topp, that's who!

Last edited by SteelViking; 08-13-10 at 12:23 AM.
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 01:01 AM   #287
Wolfling04
Frogman

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the info Viking, I had no idea if it was something that could worked on. Anyways, great mod, I'm always looking forward to the next version.
Old 08-13-10, 08:43 AM   #288
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

Sorry for being off, but.. SteelViking, I know you said that you use a custom made UI after Reaper's mod. Can u share this UI? It looks pretty pro and I wanna try it out ...
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 09:35 AM   #289
qweasd
Watch

Downloads: 72

Hey Steel Viking, about the oil/grease/rust..

i don't mind weathering stains and abit of rust here and there, but any pool of anything anywhere would be unacceptable on my ship.

The floors need to be dirtied abit. Imagine 40 guys walking on the same path for any length of time. It would show.

And the sub's interior color..
I would focus on the lighting, though I'm not sure to what extent that can be moddified. That's why i went with Naight walls and floors. If the lights can be moddified to be more 'spot' then 'flood', it won't really mather what color the sub's interior.

In the event that you have control over the type of lighting..

- Spot lighting for the control room (dark with spotted bright light on strategic areas).

- Flood dimmed for the 'living quarters'.

- Flood bright for the diesel engine room.

no idea if this is historical or not. Just my vision.
Also keep in mind that the crew would have made their ship their home. So there is room for impro here.
qweasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 11:20 AM   #290
SteelViking
The Old Man

qweasd, sadly I have absolutely no control over how the lighting in the sub is really distributed. Now, I could use shadow mapping to make it look like the lights are more of a spotlight than a flood light, but the amount of work that would take is mind boggling. Also, there is no reflective backing on any of the lights in the sub(except the lamps) so they would not be spotlights anyway, the light would scatter everywhere evenly.

Thank you for your opinion on the oil

@Magnum,

Actually, I don't use my customized version of reaper7's UI anymore, I just use his latest version, HiDef Realistic Interface 1.0. It is really a work of art.

Old 08-13-10, 01:49 PM   #291
Paris_England
Soundman

Downloads: 79

Hey SteelViking,

First off, what a fantastic mod! Kudos to you and everyone who's made this mod possible. And a big thanks also.

Now to the question: Is it possible to add activators to scene objects?

For example, as it is now if I click on the periscope I go to the periscope screen (I'm assuming this screen is an overlay on top of the 3d scene?). Can we add these types of activators to other objects, say the nav map so it would bring up the nav screen. Or to a book in the crew quarters and it would bring up an overlay of the book so we could read it (possible with page forward/backward buttons)?

And another: Is it possible for these interactions to effect other areas of gameplay? E.g. Clicking on the gramophone starts it playing which then increases the crew's morale?

Thanks

P
Paris_England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 02:06 PM   #292
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 155

Hey , Paris England

Sorry,yet, it's impossible to add dialogue with objects in the sub, for that we need to add mask mouses (special 3D element) in .GR2
in this moment i work for remake the texture in the Radio/sonar room

i have many things already redone

- vinyl disc
- radios ...
- books ...
- tasse and lampe in capitain berth
- telex paper
- texture around the clocks ( in brass )
- and many other little things

I still have to finish the enigma, but Ubisoft does not really help us with the textures locations on the maps

Last edited by BIGREG; 08-13-10 at 02:20 PM.
BIGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 02:14 PM   #293
SteelViking
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREG View Post
Hey , Paris England

Sorry,yet, it's impossible to add dialogue with objects in the sub, for that we need to add mask mouses (special 3D element) in .GR2
@Paris_England, BIGREG is absolutely right. Mouse masks are interactive controllers that allow you to interact with objects. When you click on the 3d model of the periscopes causing you to look through them, that is the mouse mask working. The problem is that only so many were included in stock, and there is no way to import more from anywhere since SH5 uses a different file format than previous games. Now make no mistake, someone could probably take the mouse masks from SHIII or SHIV and do some work to adapt them for SH5, however, that is beyond my ability.

Old 08-13-10, 02:21 PM   #294
Paris_England
Soundman

Downloads: 79

Hi BigReg!

How about old-schooling it using line-of-sight vectors and co-ordinates? Is there anyway to capture this or any other data through an external memory reading app running concurrently with SH5?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but you guys are gurus!

Thanks!!!

P

Last edited by Paris_England; 08-13-10 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Posted at same time as SteelViking who answered part of my question :)
Paris_England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 02:42 PM   #295
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 155

The solution is quite simple to explain, but harder to implement

First: we must succeed to introduce a 3D shape in good location
(Maybe through the file. Fx Or edition of. GR2 )

Second: we expect that it performs is interactive with the mouse
( Find the functioning of mouse masks ? is not the same as in SH3/SH4)

and Voila it like in 2 lines
BIGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 03:05 PM   #296
Zedi
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelViking View Post
@Magnum,

Actually, I don't use my customized version of reaper7's UI anymore, I just use his latest version, HiDef Realistic Interface 1.0. It is really a work of art.
Sorry by pushing this, but... that not really any UI mod I saw around. Is very pro with minimal buttons/icons, exactly what I like. Pls be so kind an relese it, I will be more than happy to take it over an mod it on my taste. Thanks and sorry for this OT.
Old 08-13-10, 03:30 PM   #297
SteelViking
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Sorry by pushing this, but... that not really any UI mod I saw around. Is very pro with minimal buttons/icons, exactly what I like. Pls be so kind an relese it, I will be more than happy to take it over an mod it on my taste. Thanks and sorry for this OT.
No problem about being off topic. But, I am being honest, my customized UI is just an old version of reaper7's UI changed to my preferences. I really recommend just using his current version as it the exact same thing just with less bugs, more features, and more fixes. If you still want my old customized one, I think I still have it somewhere I could package it up and send it, but I really think you would be happier with the newer version. Here is the link to his thread, you can compare my screen shots to his and see it is the same one:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=173147

Old 08-13-10, 03:58 PM   #298
Zedi
Sea Lord

I feel very sucky by doing off's in this topic. I know Reaper's and TDW UI. Those are for .. amateurs, no hard feelings. I need a pro UI, so pls be so kind and release your UI.. at least for testing. I'm too nub in moding to build up mah own UI (

Ontopic: Your mod combined with AIl's interior mod is just fantastic. Thank you.
Old 08-13-10, 04:12 PM   #299
SteelViking
The Old Man

Quote:
I feel very sucky by doing off's in this topic. I know Reaper's and TDW UI. Those are for .. amateurs, no hard feelings. I need a pro UI, so pls be so kind and release your UI.. at least for testing. I'm too nub in moding to build up mah own UI (

Ontopic: Your mod combined with AIl's interior mod is just fantastic. Thank you.
Ok, I will be sending you a PM with a link to it just as soon as it is done uploading. And, thanks for the compliment. I am really glad that Ailantd made his interior mod as many prefer the pure white interior, it saves me from having two versions.

Old 08-13-10, 04:16 PM   #300
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
I feel very sucky by doing off's in this topic. I know Reaper's and TDW UI. Those are for .. amateurs, no hard feelings
no hard feelings taken but it's definitely not for amateurs. The complexity contained in it is way above you to comprehend then It can be customized for amateurs or it can be customized for 'hard core'.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote