Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-13-24, 12:28 PM   #241
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

https://jalopnik.com/ford-lost-100-0...ear-1851472325

Quote:
It’s tough breaking into the electric vehicle game these days. Startups like Rivian and Lucid have posted massive losses while launching their lineups, General Motors has been slow to ramp up production of EVs and now Ford has shared some truly eye-watering losses from its own electric arm at the start of this year.

The blue oval reportedly lost more than $100,000 for every electric car it delivered in the first quarter of 2024, according to a report from Bloomberg. The sky-high loses forced the American automaker to rethink its EV targets and even cut battery orders for future models. As the site explains:

Ford Motor Co. has begun cutting orders from battery suppliers to stem growing electric-vehicle losses, according to people familiar with the matter, as it throttles back ambitions in a rapidly decelerating market for plug-in models.

The move is part a retrenchment of Ford’s EV strategy, which includes reducing spending by $12 billion on battery-powered models, delaying new EVs, cutting prices, and postponing and shrinking planned battery plants. Ford has forecast EV losses of up to $5.5 billion this year and Chief Executive Officer Jim Farley recently said its EV unit, Model e, “is the main drag on the whole company right now.”

The EV unit’s “drag” on the rest of the company is growing. In the first three months of 2024, Bloomberg reports that losses on every EV sold by Ford doubled to $100,000. In fact, the losses on EV sales are so great at Ford that Bloomberg predicts that over the course of this year they could wipe out all profits made by the Blue division, which is the company’s gas-powered car side.

Losses like this are staggering to see, and just go to show how important it is for EV production costs to start falling, quickly. Thankfully, Ford at least appears to be workin on this, with the company announcing earlier this year that it has an electric model in the pipeline that will be both affordable and profitable. Imagine that!
Affordable and profitable usually share an inverse relationship. If they cannot make a profit from $60,00 e-cars and $80,000 e-trucks, how are they going to wring a profit out of a $28,000 budget e-car?
Old 05-14-24, 04:25 PM   #242
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Dropped my car off at the dealer for servicing and was able to get an EV as a loaner. Subaru Solterra. I will see how it is on my daily crappy commute.

The Solterra is one of the EV's I am thinking of getting in late 2025. It is not at the top of my list, but it seems like a nice vehicle.

There is a learning curve though so we will see if this old dog can learn some new tricks.
Old 05-14-24, 04:32 PM   #243
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I just bought a 2019 Pathfinder. I'm hoping this one will last me at least until the 2030's.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-24, 05:04 PM   #244
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I just bought a 2019 Pathfinder. I'm hoping this one will last me at least until the 2030's.
Why year 2030 why not longer ?

As I understand this new anti-combustion law it only say that production of these type of cars are forbidden after Jan 1st 2030/35. It's not forbidden to buy a new car in 2027 and drive it for an another 30 years if one would love to.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-24, 06:50 PM   #245
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The EU wise persons' board wants to release legislation that makes it illegal to operate combustion engine cars a la Cuba style. They want to prohibit even ownership already just a few years after the sales ban.

Worse and worse.

I just wonder whether that sales ban will ever come true. Reality may not submit to ideology. It will get extended, and maybe even more than just once.
Old 05-14-24, 09:55 PM   #246
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Why year 2030 why not longer ?

As I understand this new anti-combustion law it only say that production of these type of cars are forbidden after Jan 1st 2030/35. It's not forbidden to buy a new car in 2027 and drive it for an another 30 years if one would love to.

Markus

I guess it will mainly depend on how well it holds up. I figure that once I retire in 2030 I will not need to have reliable long distance ground transportation and instead will probably get a old pickup truck made before the advent of vehicle computers so I can work on it myself.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-24, 04:58 PM   #247
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The EU wise persons' board wants to release legislation that makes it illegal to operate combustion engine cars a la Cuba style. They want to prohibit even ownership already just a few years after the sales ban.

Worse and worse.

I just wonder whether that sales ban will ever come true. Reality may not submit to ideology. It will get extended, and maybe even more than just once.

Didnt they already try to pass laws to prevent repair to combustion vehicles not up to modern standards? I say 'try' but of course its the EU so its not 'if' the law gets passed, its just 'when' I think they must have nearly a 100% success rate there, And yet they are still talking about getting rid of the MEPs, whos only real power is to slow things down.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-24, 12:20 AM   #248
Oubaas
Watch Officer

Downloads: 65

If vehicles with internal combustion engines are outlawed, and I suddenly come bursting out of the garage in my monstrosity of a rock crawling pickup truck and roar down the road with the pickup bed full of Jerry cans, who's going to stop me? Even if they're driving the fastest EVs available, I can take shortcuts that their eyes wouldn't believe.

"Come on! Follow me in your Tesla, I dare you!"

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-24, 12:33 AM   #249
Oubaas
Watch Officer

Downloads: 65

And another thing. Will this ban on internal combustion engines affect vital emergency generators in places like hospitals? I want to see them pull that off.

"We'll have the power back on as soon as we charge the generator."
Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-24, 03:17 AM   #250
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubaas View Post
And another thing. Will this ban on internal combustion engines affect vital emergency generators in places like hospitals?

No, it won't.
Ostfriese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-24, 02:55 PM   #251
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

https://www.motortrend.com/news/epa-...n-gas-car-ban/

No, President Biden and the EPA are not banning gas cars.
Old 05-20-24, 03:51 PM   #252
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
https://www.motortrend.com/news/epa-...n-gas-car-ban/

No, President Biden and the EPA are not banning gas cars.
Maybe not. However no one knows what type of cars that will be sold most of in 5 or 10 years from now in USA.

It could be a majority of cars being sold in 2030 is Electric cars or it could be gasoline cars

What your government ban or not-Doesn't matter. It's up to the buyer what they want.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrics cars, tesla